What is the longest cruise?

bob brown

I thought it was 40 nights.:confused:

I wouldn't want to do it anyway, it was all bad weather, no ports of call and the smell aboard must have been terrible.

I think it was the rain that went on for 40 days and nights - certainly the later part of the “cruise” enjoyed better weather, given the several flights of certain passengers before one came back with - wasn’t it a twig from an olive branch? This, of course, suggests that either some parts of the surface of the earth had not been inundated at all, or that the flood had lasted so very long that the first parts to dry out were dry long enough for a leafy twig to be available ..... hmmmm.

I think it was the rain that went on for 40 days and nights - certainly the later part of the “cruise” enjoyed better weather, given the several flights of certain passengers before one came back with - wasn’t it a twig from an olive branch? This, of course, suggests that either some parts of the surface of the earth had not been inundated at all, or that the flood had lasted so very long that the first parts to dry out were dry long enough for a leafy twig to be available ..... hmmmm.
That book makes some great reading, right up there with Tom Clancy or Lee child.

I've found fossilized sea life items atop an escarpment in the middle of Saudi Arabia......so ya never know.

It is unlikely all 900 pax signed up for the full cruise

There are segments

LA to Sydney 38 days

Sydney to Lon 82 days Feb 11 to may 2

The 2019 WC Miami to London departing on Jan 3rd has recently had 5 segments issued.

However, I actually quoted the 2018 WC that departed LA in Jan 2018. Between LA & London, this cruise did NOT have any segments. I can't remember the exact pax count, but all 830 to 850 departing LA, were signed up for the entire cruise.

For the 2020 cruise, we currently have no segments between LA & London and since many categories are already sold out and cabin prices recently increased, I suspect it is selling well. At present, between LA & London, this cruise also has NO segments.

For the 2020 cruise, we currently have no segments between LA & London and since many categories are already sold out and cabin prices recently increased, I suspect it is selling well. At present, between LA & London, this cruise also has NO segments.

very strange they have one from LA to Sydney

https://www.vikingcruisescanada.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/world-grand/south-pacific-the-land-down-under/index.html#search/sfym=2020-1&sftcm=27-120837

Apologies, this one must have been released in the past few days, as I checked the schedules only a few days ago.

Apologies, this one must have been released in the past few days, as I checked the schedules only a few days ago.

Perhaps cruise lines hope initially to sell these ultra-long cruises as a single one, but after their sales algorithm's tell them that they are not going to accomplish that, they then divide them into two (or more) segments?

Quite possibly, it may also do with regional sales. Sell a long cruise, not everyone can afford the time to do the long cruise and they end up with some empty cabins. So they see if they can coax people onto doing segments so that people who cannot cruise for the full length can still do three weeks or so.

Longest I ever did was in early 1963, Melbourne to Southampton, on the ~25,000 GT Northern Star across the Pacific, about 6 weeks as I recall.

Of course it wasn't considered 'cruising' back then, it was just using a ship to get from A to B. Six weeks of food and accommodation and still way cheaper than flying.

Ship departures were a lot more fun...streamers tossed from the rails were tied to the dock.....and the "All Visitors Ashore" announcement was repeated over the P.A. until the tugs started moving the ship. Those were the days!

The TAR days back in the 70's & 80's were certainly fun days, with the ships having almost a carnival atmosphere throughout. The other difference was cash bars, as in those days even guests could purchase drinks at the bar.

However, for those of us working on the ships our challenge is we had no accurate count of how many guests were aboard. Many time have had the seamen tear down the gangway and then got stragglers wandering ashore. The steamers to shore and bands playing on deck created an amazing atmosphere.