Room stewards and beach towels

NJJenLyn

Silly question but I'm asking anyway.

We were on the Gem last week and when we got to our room on day 1 there were three of the striped beach towels for us (3 of us in the cabin.) However, any time we left one or more on the floor, our room steward took it but unlike the bath towels, she did not replace them. We left a note on two days asking her to replace them, and on those days she did. But only if we specifically asked.

This annoyed hubby to no end. I just took an extra one from the pool deck and brought it down to the room if I needed a clean one. (They weren't signing out towels on the pool deck like they have in the past.) Anyway, I'm just wondering if this is the standard or if we were just getting shorted beach towels for some reason.

I understand that they only have so much space on their carts and beach towels are bulky items compared to everything else they have. But as hubby pointed out, why do they take them then? Why not just make people go exchange them on the pool deck for a clean one if they want a fresh one?

It wasn't a huge deal to me, but I'm just wondering if this is SOP.

We had the same problem on the Epic. Would leave the beach towel on the floor and steward would take it but not replace them. Had to call house keeping because always needed them before the towel hut opened at 8am. We were onboard for 3 weeks in 3 different cabins and each steward was the same way. Irritating to say the least since on the Epic you had to sign for your towels at the pool.

Here is a strategy to not lose beach towels. Don’t leave them on the floor. For the past decade hoteliers have a simple “green” system. Rehang towels you are keeping, put the others on the floor. Pile them up anywhere but the floor and take them up to the pool towel hut and exchange them. If you have an early excursion, do it the afternoon/ night before and you won’t even need to put them on the floor. Always have a clean and dry towel.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We always swapped wet towel @end of day at towel station for clean dry one for next morning, worked for us saw a lot of people do that on the Jade.

We take them back to cabin & leave them along side beach bags & we are ready to go next morning.

This way we cut out steward having to faff about getting us clean towels

Edited by meandmaboy
spelling

We always swapped wet towel @end of day at towel station for clean dry one for next morning, worked for us saw a lot of people do that on the Jade.

We take them back to cabin & leave them along side beach bags & we are ready to go next morning.

This!(y)

Ha. I have had this same struggle. Even when I drape a damp towel somewhere the steward always took it if it was damp. The towel desk kept opening late and closing early... very tricky. I have become somewhat rigourous about trading in my towels before I return to the room or immediately on return to the ship from excursions so the towels in my room are dry and folded! The most difficult is when we go to the pool or hot tub in the evening and the desk is closed... yet we have excursions in the morning... trying to get them to dry in time overnight!

When you look at the steward’s carts, beach towels are not normally stocked. So they have to go and get them from a secondary location. Sometimes they remember. Sometimes not. We were on the Getaway a couple of weeks ago and the steward usually came back later in the evening with fresh beach towels. But, not at turndown

Have always done this! :)

Thanks everyone. I figured since it didn't just happen one day, that it was probably pretty standard. I think hubby felt like it was the room steward not doing her job but I didn't see it that way. I wasn't sure though. I appreciate all your input!