Ruby Princess Internet

WVBill

Bill,

I wouldn't hope for much. In June the internet was terrible at best. It took me 20 minutes or so to get online then I lost my connection and it took me another 30 minutes of messing around before I got on again only to get bumped off again. I got so frustrated I gave up. I tried to talk to the internet manager, he was a total jerk. See you on the Ruby on Sept. 22nd.

Ruby is set for dry dock later this year. Initial install of the ***** hardware is rumored to happen at that time. The internet portion should be up and running as soon as ship returns to service.

• 2 weeks later...
Bill,

I wouldn't hope for much. In June the internet was terrible at best. It took me 20 minutes or so to get online then I lost my connection and it took me another 30 minutes of messing around before I got on again only to get bumped off again. I got so frustrated I gave up. I tried to talk to the internet manager, he was a total jerk. See you on the Ruby on Sept. 22nd.

Have never been on the Ruby. Our info advertises a fee for internet services. Did you pay this and still got terrible connections?

I have found that accessing the internet can be good during dinner time when most pax are eating their evening meal. It also is great at 5 AM! Other than that I can sympathise with the poster that had serious problems. I have been there.

There is hope that when the Ruby goes into dry dock, they will include upgrading the ship for ***** installation at a later date. This should include the new satellite internet connection.

Remember that until new services with a new satellite constellation are fully operational, the latency of ship internet will remain high, and hence interactive services will remain "laggy" and sluggish no matter how much bandwidth they throw at the problem.

Bill,

This pretty much describes the experience my BIL had last week on Ruby. Terribly disappointing, considering what he (his employer) paid for the service. On the upside he had no choice but to enjoy his time off and savor the fantastic weather that graced Alaska last week! :cool:

• 1 month later...

I would really like to know if the Ruby’s internet was upgraded during the drydock. We are going on  15 day cruise in April and I need to do a couple of hours of work during sea days.  Is the cell connection just as bad?  I am also aware of the scary roaming charges while at sea if dare to turn your cellphone on

5 hours ago, Tlwaldo said:

I would really like to know if the Ruby’s internet was upgraded during the drydock. We are going on  15 day cruise in April and I need to do a couple of hours of work during sea days.  Is the cell connection just as bad?  I am also aware of the scary roaming charges while at sea if dare to turn your cellphone on

I don't know, but I can tell you how to find out:  Go to your Personallizer and see if it offers "PrincessCONNECT" internet.

If so, it's been upgraded and you should be able to find unlimited-minute plans.  If your cruise goes north of Seattle or

Southampton, there may be bandwidth issues -- they're still "working that issue".

As for piratical ship's cell tower rates, just keep "Airplane Mode" ON, and you'll be safe.  Be aware that turning it ON

also turns WiFi OFF.   You have to manually turn WiFi back ON, but that does not turn Airplane Mode OFF again.

We were on the Ruby last week.  Only option I had for the internet was 2 options for more minutes, but that is it as of now.  No unlimited packages yet were offered so no "Princessconnect" internet.  I had one of those packages on the Pacific Princess in Aug/Sept and I could Skype on my phone which was quite nice at times.  Was able to stayed easily connected with my daughter. 

They are working on the Medallion services on the ship.  Main thing was the screen by the cabin door that we needed to tap our cruise card on to unlock the door.  Other than that, nothing else as of now.

Hopefully by the time of your cruise they will have those packages to buy.

• 1 month later...

You need to search for MedallionNet which is the $9.99 per day internet and it is NOT on the Ruby Princess because I just called Princess.  The MedallionNet is currently only on two ships.  But Holland has a good reasonably priced internet plan. 

We were on the Ruby Thanksgiving week. The internet was so bad all you had to do was walk up the the internet cafe and they asked for your cabin # and refunded your money! I think every person on the ship that had internet got a refund!