Frustrated with final payment...

ma23peas

Are the blocks of rooms for all itineraries? Are they only available when bookings open for that itinerary? I'm asking these questions only because when calling big online agencies there never seem to be group bookings that offer anything better than what the cruise line is offering.

Our upcoming cruise in December we booked with a TA that had group rates that were about $150pp less than the cruise line prices plus they gave us $175 OBC. We are booked in a regular balcony cabin.

Everything has been smooth as silk so far. We met this TA at a travel show in Philadelphia.

This is the first time using her but will use her again if the deals are like the one we got for this cruise.

Bill

I am NOT judging, but waiting for the last minute before final payment would freak me out. I also like being in control of my cruises (and enjoy it also) and would never leave my bookings in the hands of a TA. I know a lot of folks here swear by their TA's, but I have also read horror stories about them. Sorry you had to go through this mess. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Completely agree !!!

The more "middle men" you add to a situation, the more likelihood of issues as threadstarter has discovered.

1) Gotta use a certain card to get points

2) Waited too late to order the card

3) Added a travel agent to further complicate things

And how do I do that? No one here will recommend one, I interviewed 3-4 different agents..not including the ones who came to me over ************* (all of which I discounted because of their responses to my questions...they knew less about the cruise than I did)..I thought I had found a 'better' TA...I truly wish people could share their favorite TAs here....

We used to be able to discuss TAs in the past. It was very helpful too. We can't do it any longer.

I am NOT judging, but waiting for the last minute before final payment would freak me out. I also like being in control of my cruises (and enjoy it also) and would never leave my bookings in the hands of a TA. I know a lot of folks here swear by their TA's, but I have also read horror stories about them. Sorry you had to go through this mess. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I completely agree with you. I do it all myself through RCI. I have never had an issue getting any problems worked out dealing directly with them. No TA is going to care as much about my booking as I do.

Our agency has blocked cabins on most ships and most itineraries. They are available up until about 70 days prior to departure. If they are not quoting you a better price than there is a possibility that they are just making more on the cabin. Just saying!!!! I can only speak for how I run my agency

Hmm, blocks of cabins are released at least 120 days prior to sailing.

And, as I understand it, TAs are not allowed to discount cabins. They can give you perks, including refundable OBC.

Hmm, blocks of cabins are released at least 120 days prior to sailing.

And, as I understand it, TAs are not allowed to discount cabins. They can give you perks, including refundable OBC.

I THINK the way it works is that they don't actually discount the cabins but include them in a group booking that has a different fee structure.

Yes booking them in a group is like anything else that is purchased in bulk you will be offered a better price so that is how we can often give you a better deal. But some people are not comfortable with giving up control so going straight to the cruise line is better for them.

Our agency has blocked cabins on most ships and most itineraries. They are available up until about 70 days prior to departure. If they are not quoting you a better price than there is a possibility that they are just making more on the cabin. Just saying!!!! I can only speak for how I run my agency

So are you suggesting that I ask if they have any group rates available? I just assumed that it would be in their best interest to offer it plus any other incentives that were available to compel me to book with them. When I call I already know what I want so price is the only thing standing in the way of me booking with a TA or direct with the cruise line.

Even if you transferred the booking to a TA, can't you call and make the payment directly with RCI?

Dan

Nope, not unless Royal takes back the reservation from the TA. All payments have to go through the TA, even though Royal directly charges the guest's credit card.

Thanks Bob. As you might be able to tell we don’t use TA’s. [emoji846]. We did for our very first cruise but I didn’t like having to work through a “middle man”.

Nothing against it. I just like to be in control of it, and if something goes wrong I know it’s my fault or RCI’s fault. No relying on someone else. Lots of wonderful TA’s out there though.

Dan

We're low maintenance, so I'll take the price discount off the cabin compared to the RCI site going through the online-only TA for my set it and forget it booking and make sure to trigger my final payment about a week early. They've been good for $350 or more off the price of the cruise our last 3 cruises we booked with them. They have been responsive to price drops and changes to the bookings.