Drinks Package

swfc

I reckon I could still do that and still not need the package!!

Of course you could and from your posts will, perfectly understandable you know your routines, spend and intake. But for some the package will, when analysed, be of value to them and their spending habits. Without all this nonsense being constantly stated about 15 alcoholic drinks as if that is the whole package and so everyone who buys it will be prone to ensuring they have them to get value for their money and as a result be likely to be drunk and rowdy.

As a quiet 64year old I can't wait to see if I suddenly morph into this stereotype just because I have bought a drinks package because for me it represents value for money.

Of course you could and from your posts will, perfectly understandable you know your routines, spend and intake. But for some the package will, when analysed, be of value to them and their spending habits. Without all this nonsense being constantly stated about 15 alcoholic drinks as if that is the whole package and so everyone who buys it will be prone to ensuring they have them to get value for their money and as a result be likely to be drunk and rowdy.

As a quiet 64year old I can't wait to see if I suddenly morph into this stereotype just because I have bought a drinks package because for me it represents value for money.

Hooray for voices of reason!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Precisely and who knows what will happen when that dastardly drinks package gets rolled out to Arcadia and Aurora next week? How many will succumb? Because if they do then they had better watch their fellow passengers attitude. They will need to start getting to it early doors to get those 15 alcoholic drinks down them that is seen as the only reason for having the package. By late afternoon things may well start kicking up a notch or two as heads swim, tempers flare, let the fighting commence. Oh and best get funds in place just in case of emergency disembarkation

Or will some give it considered thought, see more options all round, opportunities for trying a mocktail or cocktail, having an extra glass of wine and just try it, generally going about their usual holiday pattern.

So funny [emoji23]🤣

I think on my forthcoming cruise in October I will have what I fancy whenever and pay as I go then see how much I have spent at the end of the week to see whether the package would have been worthwhile.

YES YES YES that is the voice of reason right there right now

Having drinks packages as part of the fare is good for company revenue so I expect to see this for P&O eventually. Why is it good for company revenue? because everybody including non drinkers is paying for it. As long as they market it right and continue to fill the cabins they are quids in!.

I think that because cruising is now drawing the attention of a much wider and broader walk of life you are going to get the different extremes of opinion on this matter, to some it truly makes sense that when you have a couple that maybe have gone with friends that would meet up for a coffee or two in costa then a coke or glass of wine with lunch then in the afternoon sit on deck with a cocktail or two and in the evening two bottles of wine shared between 4 and then some drinks at the show or in the bar, this doesn't sound excessive at all but that would soon mount up too or even over the £80 day rate for a couple.

but you also are going to get a couple that only one drinks because the other might be on medication or just doesn't drink much which it then sounds ridiculous to spend £80.

also some might be on a very tight budget and feel that the included drinks on offer is enough for there needs.

We personally are a bit of a mixture of the last two, my wife is disabled and her medication limits how much alcohol she can drink and coffee gives her headaches so she normally just drinks tea and water and i'm always the driver so really don't drink much at all.

As i had said in my previous post it's our first time in November and due to my wife not being able to fly any more we have had to look at other means of going to the sun and cruising seems a good option as we can go and return from Southampton but being disabled means we have to pay select price and availability was limited to a balcony at the time we booked which was 13 months in advance so when it comes to thinking about the possibility of a drinks package then in our case that becomes a luxury i'd rather put it towards the £600 travel insurance bill.

At the end of the day we are all different and as such it's relative to the individual and this couple intend to have a great time on our cruise :-)

Taking us to both the ridiculous and the sublime, could a couple who must purchase the two drink package while having only one of them drinking alcohol, not meet up with a like couple and share their use and cost? To take if further could said holder of two packages use one in offering a drink to someone at, say, half price?

I think that because cruising is now drawing the attention of a much wider and broader walk of life you are going to get the different extremes of opinion on this matter, to some it truly makes sense that when you have a couple that maybe have gone with friends that would meet up for a coffee or two in costa then a coke or glass of wine with lunch then in the afternoon sit on deck with a cocktail or two and in the evening two bottles of wine shared between 4 and then some drinks at the show or in the bar, this doesn't sound excessive at all but that would soon mount up too or even over the £80 day rate for a couple.

but you also are going to get a couple that only one drinks because the other might be on medication or just doesn't drink much which it then sounds ridiculous to spend £80.

also some might be on a very tight budget and feel that the included drinks on offer is enough for there needs.

We personally are a bit of a mixture of the last two, my wife is disabled and her medication limits how much alcohol she can drink and coffee gives her headaches so she normally just drinks tea and water and i'm always the driver so really don't drink much at all.

As i had said in my previous post it's our first time in November and due to my wife not being able to fly any more we have had to look at other means of going to the sun and cruising seems a good option as we can go and return from Southampton but being disabled means we have to pay select price and availability was limited to a balcony at the time we booked which was 13 months in advance so when it comes to thinking about the possibility of a drinks package then in our case that becomes a luxury i'd rather put it towards the £600 travel insurance bill.

At the end of the day we are all different and as such it's relative to the individual and this couple intend to have a great time on our cruise :-)

Yes you’re quite right - we’re all different.

It also makes a difference if you cruise 3+ times per year. The cost of the package would go some way towards the cost of another cruise so if the choice was cruise v drinks package I’d choose the cruise every time and be a bit more frugal with onboard spend. For us, who only cruise once or twice a year, it’s a luxury we allow ourselves

Fred Olsen’s package is £15 pp per day.......that is brilliant value as one glass of wine is about £7.00. Can’t understand why a small cruise line can offer package at this low price. You would have thought that Carnival’s buying power would enable them to match that or be even lower. By the way, I always take my own litre bottles of water when embarking at Southampton.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Taking us to both the ridiculous and the sublime, could a couple who must purchase the two drink package while having only one of them drinking alcohol, not meet up with a like couple and share their use and cost? To take if further could said holder of two packages use one in offering a drink to someone at, say, half price?

Who’d be bothered with all that wheeling and dealing on holiday?

Who’d be bothered with all that wheeling and dealing on holiday?

Might they be the people who in a previous thread went to great lengths to discuss the various ways you could smuggle additional alcohol on board ship when the limits were introduced? Just a thought.

Might they be the people who in a previous thread went to great lengths to discuss the various ways you could smuggle additional alcohol on board ship when the limits were introduced? Just a thought.

Possibly - We like a drink (clearly more than some) but we don’t want to be getting mangled in the cabin like a couple of losers. Sundowners are acceptable on your balcony but we drink at home the rest of the year, on holiday we like to mingle in the bars and lounges

Possibly - We like a drink (clearly more than some) but we don’t want to be getting mangled in the cabin like a couple of losers. Sundowners are acceptable on your balcony but we drink at home the rest of the year, on holiday we like to mingle in the bars and lounges

I see that you have cruised mainly on other lines therefore did you find that the total amount you were spending on drinks to be considerably higher during your cruises with P&O compared to the drinks prices and packages that were available to you on those other lines.

Just curious as we have only ever cruised with P&O

Fred Olsen’s package is £15 pp per day.......that is brilliant value as one glass of wine is about £7.00. Can’t understand why a small cruise line can offer package at this low price. You would have thought that Carnival’s buying power would enable them to match that or be even lower. By the way, I always take my own litre bottles of water when embarking at Southampton.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That price is a rarityamongst cruise lines these days NCL were advertising a cruise yesterday and drinks package was £38pppd.

I see that you have cruised mainly on other lines therefore did you find that the total amount you were spending on drinks to be considerably higher during your cruises with P&O compared to the drinks prices and packages that were available to you on those other lines.

Just curious as we have only ever cruised with P&O

No, on Oceana the prices seemed very reasonable compared to RCI, Cunard and MSC. We’ve had packages on RCI and MSC previously - they weren’t around when we last sailed with Princess. Wine by the glass on RCI/Cunard was ridiculous approx $13 and up.

But despite the reasonable prices we still would buy the package for our next P&O cruise- we’re travelling with a family group and it’s over New Year in the Caribbean so we’re likely to over indulge - maybe we’d think twice if it was just us two but then again maybe not.

We have £400 obc so we’re offsetting this against the package and buying any excursions in advance so it seems even more attractive once we buy.

No, on Oceana the prices seemed very reasonable compared to RCI, Cunard and MSC. We’ve had packages on RCI and MSC previously - they weren’t around when we last sailed with Princess. Wine by the glass on RCI/Cunard was ridiculous approx $13 and up.

But despite the reasonable prices we still would buy the package for our next P&O cruise- we’re travelling with a family group and it’s over New Year in the Caribbean so we’re likely to over indulge - maybe we’d think twice if it was just us two but then again maybe not.

We have £400 obc so we’re offsetting this against the package and buying any excursions in advance so it seems even more attractive once we buy.

Thanks for the information.

I don't know how the choice of drinks compare to other lines but I think P&O offer a fairly good range.

As a mainly beer drinker (My wife is the wine drinker) I like the choice of the real ales that P&O normally have on offer. :D:beer-mug:

Thanks for the information.

I don't know how the choice of drinks compare to other lines but I think P&O offer a fairly good range.

As a mainly beer drinker (My wife is the wine drinker) I like the choice of the real ales that P&O normally have on offer. :D:beer-mug:

Yep no complaints here [emoji1303]

From what I have read in P&O literature. The package is loaded onto your card, which when swiped, shows the package. I would not be happy to let someone use my card. You are limited to one drink every 15 mins to stop buying rounds, so you can't share that way either.

I have been searching for a way to express my disapproval of drink packages as they pertain to placing heavy demand on service.

How's this?

I think I would prefer to sit frustrated at being unable to get a drink served to me which I had not as yet paid for, than the drink I had already paid for days ago.

Someone just put on Facebook an answer from P&O saying that you both don’t have to have the same drink package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't see that on their fb page, there is a post from someone saying that they phoned p&o and were told this but no one from p&o has answered to say that this is correct or incorrect. That's as long as I am lookign at the same post on there as you.

Thank you for your email.

This is what I have just received from p and o still not a firm yes or no and Sep has now gone

We have not received any information that states that these will not be available on your cruise, however, as this is only a trial. it may be removed at any time.