Drinks Package

swfc

We looked at the terms of the package on our recent Azura cruise but the big negative for us was the exclusion of any bottles of wine as we really enjoy choosing something different to try match our food choices each evening. Even if bottles of wine were included I couldn't see us spending enough each day to make it worthwhile.

However, now that we are "veterans" of 5 school holiday cruises I think that these drinks packages will definitely appeal and be worthwhile for some families. As has been said elsewhere, on a lot of these cruises for some families the ship itself is clearly the holiday rather than the itinerary or ports with many choosing not to get off in places like Livorno or Civitavecchia. There are towels reserving sunbeds around the pools early each morning and you see parents sat around all day drinking (soft drinks, coffees and alcohol) while the kids play in the pool or are at the kids clubs.

Meanwhile we go off and probably spend more than €80 ashore at an attraction such as the aquarium (Livorno) or the Water Polo Club (Lido) (Civitavecchia) along with a nice lunch somewhere.

Before anyone says so this isn't intended to sound smug in any way, we just know which option we prefer and what's best for our son so each to their own.

Thank you for your email.

This is what I have just received from p and o still not a firm yes or no and Sep has now gone

We have not received any information that states that these will not be available on your cruise, however, as this is only a trial. it may be removed at any time.

Same here:

‘"We are currently reviewing all our beverage packages to give our guests more choice and more details will be released shortly. At this point we cannot guarantee that existing products will be available on your cruise, so we have removed them from advance purchase. Packages are available to purchase on board, however as previously mentioned these are being reviewed and may be different from those currently on offer. Guests who have already purchased their Cards in advance will have these honoured onboard, no matter what the date of their cruise."

Hummmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From what I have read in P&O literature. The package is loaded onto your card, which when swiped, shows the package. I would not be happy to let someone use my card. You are limited to one drink every 15 mins to stop buying rounds, so you can't share that way either.

On Celebrity your picture appears on the till, do P&O use that system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Taking us to both the ridiculous and the sublime, could a couple who must purchase the two drink package while having only one of them drinking alcohol, not meet up with a like couple and share their use and cost? To take if further could said holder of two packages use one in offering a drink to someone at, say, half price?

when items are purchased or scanned your picture comes up, so they would know the person who handed them the card is not the person who the card belonged to, plus the cabin number would be different.A little too much scheming me thinks...

Yes, passengers currently on Azura are saying it is not available and P&O are evaluating before deciding to introduce it.

I think they’ll introduce different levels of drinks package now they’ve tested customer drinking habits (probably knew this before but now they know what people drink in the package)

I can’t see them removing it completely now they’ve trialled it - makes the company look indecisive

when items are purchased or scanned your picture comes up, so they would know the person who handed them the card is not the person who the card belonged to, plus the cabin number would be different.A little too much scheming me thinks...

I know of two couples who traveled together where neither wife drank. However, two drinks were ordered by the one couple with both cards and then one drink passed to the gentleman with no card thus nullifying the demand that both occupants of a cabin purchase the plan. Nothing illegal.

I know of two couples who traveled together where neither wife drank. However, two drinks were ordered by the one couple with both cards and then one drink passed to the gentleman with no card thus nullifying the demand that both occupants of a cabin purchase the plan. Nothing illegal.

So both the husbands drank? What did the wives do? Sit with nothing? Or did the couple who didn’t buy the package ‘buy’ a drink for the wives on their normal account? Seems a right old faff to me

Of course it isn't illegal as it's a company policy. However stupidity like this spoils it for everyone as abuse of anything will lead to its removal which means everyone suffers. Policy is there for a reason and fail to see why people have to bend it to the limit like the bringing on of too much alcohol and drinking it outside of their cabin. As someone said the above is just a silly faff and derives no benefit whatsoever.

I am always amazed that when anything is tried out people feel the need to try and bend it so it suits them. I guess the 2 couples thought nobody in the bar knew what they were up to. As posted it is those who bend things that means when its assessed as to whether to roll out they will take the bend its into their decision. If the drinks package is rolled out and its too expensive for some ,then do not purchase it..how simple is that. Rather than purchase it but but but but.....we get round it like this..or like that.

Is it just me but I now can't see any thing on P and O website about the drinks package.

I can’t see it either but can’t reply to your new thread for some reason - says there’s a problem with the forum and to try again later

Gosh things are getting curiouser and curiouser!

Too true. I hope they get themselves sorted out soon, although in all fairness the trial only ended 4 days ago so you can allow a little leaway for reflection and decision making time. BUT it is time P&O got one unified message out about it. At this point I feel that it should be "we are considering and an announcement will be made on............".

My feeling is a package is coming and various staff have confirmed it to some who enquired but that, as yet, it is not decided on the form it will take. My feelings are they had enough of an uptake during the trial to see it as viable but there have been issues or feedback which make them think that they can capitalise better on the package by making changes to the trial e.g. ability to combine with a non-alcoholic package or maybe to keep offering the costa and soft drinks cards alongside.

Whatever get to it P&O 9.12.2018 is fast approaching and I need to get my plans in order, that wine won't order itself if there isn't a drinks package.

Of course it isn't illegal as it's a company policy. However stupidity like this spoils it for everyone as abuse of anything will lead to its removal which means everyone suffers. Policy is there for a reason and fail to see why people have to bend it to the limit like the bringing on of too much alcohol and drinking it outside of their cabin. As someone said the above is just a silly faff and derives no benefit whatsoever.

I believe the stupidity lies with the cruise company. They forced a non drinker to purchase an alcohol plan. What she did with it was her business, after all the drinks ordered were paid for.

Too true. I hope they get themselves sorted out soon, although in all fairness the trial only ended 4 days ago so you can allow a little leaway for reflection and decision making time. BUT it is time P&O got one unified message out about it. At this point I feel that it should be "we are considering and an announcement will be made on............".

My feeling is a package is coming and various staff have confirmed it to some who enquired but that, as yet, it is not decided on the form it will take. My feelings are they had enough of an uptake during the trial to see it as viable but there have been issues or feedback which make them think that they can capitalise better on the package by making changes to the trial e.g. ability to combine with a non-alcoholic package or maybe to keep offering the costa and soft drinks cards alongside.

Whatever get to it P&O 9.12.2018 is fast approaching and I need to get my plans in order, that wine won't order itself if there isn't a drinks package.

It’s frustrating isn’t it - nothing to be done though, just wait zzzzzz

It’s frustrating isn’t it - nothing to be done though, just wait zzzzzz

I'm a lady of advancing years I'm good at zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

We would probably make use of the Drinks Package. It would be nice to have coffees, cocktails, soda, wine etc every day and we would probably get use out of it but.......we just cant afford £80 a day. Such a shame we cant just buy one.

So....we shall make do by being careful.

We would probably make use of the Drinks Package. It would be nice to have coffees, cocktails, soda, wine etc every day and we would probably get use out of it but.......we just cant afford £80 a day. Such a shame we cant just buy one.

So....we shall make do by being careful.

I am sure you will not need to make do and be careful as P&O drinks prices are very reasonable.

As Jean has said you may be pleasantly surprised and spend far less than £80 for the two of you.