Drinks Package

swfc

I am sure you will not need to make do and be careful as P&O drinks prices are very reasonable.

As Jean has said you may be pleasantly surprised and spend far less than £80 for the two of you.

We will spend far less because I wont bother with the things I might otherwise have if I had a drinks package,

Its just the way I work......I might spend £5 a day as it is.........but, if a drinks package was offered to me at a more reasonable price (I dont think £40 is reasonable) then I might bust a gut to find the money to pay for it as I would consider it a real treat on holiday.

It would then enable me to have other things such as coffee and cocktails that I wont pay for normally.

Make it £30 and limit it to 10 alcoholic drinks and I would find the money for that. Otherwise, no, Im not going to spend £30 a day.

Yes there is an argument there. If it was all inclusive say, then I would probably have a coffee each day and possibly a mocktail at the pool. even with that and my drink before dinner and wine, I still would be nowhere near £40 and then as we said before, what about the days when you are off the ship?

On Celebrity your picture appears on the till, do P&O use that system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No idea for purchases. It does for security checks when getting on or off at ports.

I think some of the arguments being put forward by proponents of this new drink package seem to support the notion that too much drink addles the brain.;p:cool:

As a firm supporter of the drinks package for reasons clearly stated previously, none of which are massively alcohol related, may I ask you to expand on that statement? Because it definitely appears that you are accusing me and other potential purchasers of having a brain addled by drink. It only underlines what I have also written previously on this thread i.e. that many 'opponents' to the package are fixated on the alcohol element.

Should we supporters "good naturedly" see your comment as written in jest just because it has one of those daft emojis alongside it? For me no I find your comment tiresome and offensive. My own brain is just fine and has stood me in good stead over the years. As has been endlessly said if the package is not for you for whatever reason then do not buy it but do not start accusing people who do of being alcohol dependent or having diminished sensibility.

Edited by ccpm

Yes there is an argument there. If it was all inclusive say, then I would probably have a coffee each day and possibly a mocktail at the pool. even with that and my drink before dinner and wine, I still would be nowhere near £40 and then as we said before, what about the days when you are off the ship?

OK its not for you have you have repeatedly said but to others it might be so its nice to have a choice nobody is forcing you to have it likewise those that do it is their choice and obviously think it good value which compared to many cruise lines it is at £40pppd reasonable.

OK its not for you have you have repeatedly said but to others it might be so its nice to have a choice nobody is forcing you to have it likewise those that do it is their choice and obviously think it good value which compared to many cruise lines it is at £40pppd reasonable.

I'm not sure that £40pppd is better value against current individual drink prices on P&O compared to what the US lines charge pd when their individual drinks prices are much more expensive. I'm not sure I would finish every day 'in front' on P&O but am certain that I would on Celebrity or Princess.

I'm not sure that £40pppd is better value against current individual drink prices on P&O compared to what the US lines charge pd when their individual drinks prices are much more expensive. I'm not sure I would finish every day 'in front' on P&O but am certain that I would on Celebrity or Princess.

I guess then the million dollar question is will the prices stay the same when, and if, a big launch of packages is announced throughout the fleet - time will tell

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

... As has been endlessly said if the package is not for you for whatever reason then do not buy it but do not start accusing people who do of being alcohol dependent or having diminished sensibility.

As with all drugs it is not the user with whom I find fault but the supplier. This "deal" encourages over consumption with all its possible negative results by virtue of the price. For one to "get their moneys worth" moderation becomes secondary. True, how many passengers purchase the plan and how many suffer negative results is none of my business. But the consequential negative effects that we the passengers are subjected to as a result of over consumption is our business and that is why we voice our displeasure of the plan to the cruise company.

I don't necessarily agree. I have done 2 cruises on Fred where drinks were included. Didn't see anybody falling about drunk or anything like it. It was just nice not to have a bill at the end of the cruise.

I rarely drink any alcohol drinks except white wine and on our first and last Fred Cruise I thought the wine was awful. One night I bought a bottle of Pinot Grigio at the dining table and it was not pleasant. I donated it to our young waiter and even he said to me the next night he couldn’t drink it.

We didn’t have the drink package on Fred and actually didn’t spend much on alcohol the whole week. I did have a pina colada one night - cheesy I know - and again it wasn’t especially nice. Badly made and stringy pineapple juice. I left most of it.

As with all drugs it is not the user with whom I find fault but the supplier. This "deal" encourages over consumption with all its possible negative results by virtue of the price. For one to "get their moneys worth" moderation becomes secondary. True, how many passengers purchase the plan and how many suffer negative results is none of my business. But the consequential negative effects that we the passengers are subjected to as a result of over consumption is our business and that is why we voice our displeasure of the plan to the cruise company.

I disagree, I have cruised 22 times with P&O and 20 times with Thomson/Marella. Marella have 'free' drinks packages and in my experience there are as many drunks on P&O as on Marella

Please re read my previous post for you are just doing exactly what I said there yet again focusing on uptake being a decision to increase consumption of alcohol. Getting my moneys worth will not be based on making sure I drink 15 alcoholic drinks rather it will cover what i usually buy when on board and by that I mean a good number of costa coffees, a lot of soda and yes wine at lunch, dinner and maybe a mocktail or cocktail or two. I am sure I am not alone in this we will buy the package based on it being worthwhile against what we pay on board now or as some have said knowing what you will spend on board.

Will some over indulge? Yes they may, believe me as a 4-5 times a year cruiser on P&O I have seen it in individuals/groups on every cruise but it is in no way endemic. Will the package encourage others to aspire to those levels of alcohol to get their monies worth? Maybe a minority but they will not be from the demographic that posts on here, the majority of those posters are very unhappy about the cost and definitely would not buy it.

P&O is very late to the party as a "drug supplier" as you see it. Many other lines charge much more for packages and have no alcohol limits or others include it in the fare. If it was a horror for shipboard life I am sure whatever additional revenue it produced those cruise lines would have stopped it.

The people I have met who over indulge, as it is being called here, do it regardless of the price. I do not think the lack of a package moderates their consumption.

On cruise I have been on that have been all inclusive I have not seen any inappropriate behaviour. I suppose P and O passengers might be different to other passengers but I doubt it.

P and O are offering a choice. Passengers who do not want the package just do not buy it. I won’t buy it as the cost is far more than I would spend on individual drinks.

Some people seem to object to other passengers having the choice of something they personally do not want. Is that a general meanness or I know best attitude? I don’t want a spa, buffet dining, British sailaways, quizzes, bridge, excursions by coach or fly cruises but other people probably like those choices.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Good post Stephen and we all have personal choices and preferences. To criticise others for doing something different to you is utter madness. Each to their own. The drinks package will bring more Value and happiness to those who want it. Those who don't can carry on as they are.

Edited by sweep2907
Mid spell

Please re read my previous post for you are just doing exactly what I said there yet again focusing on uptake being a decision to increase consumption of alcohol. Getting my moneys worth will not be based on making sure I drink 15 alcoholic drinks rather it will cover what i usually buy when on board and by that I mean a good number of costa coffees, a lot of soda and yes wine at lunch, dinner and maybe a mocktail or cocktail or two. I am sure I am not alone in this we will buy the package based on it being worthwhile against what we pay on board now or as some have said knowing what you will spend on board. .

Then please re read my entry. The purpose of the "plan" is to increaser revenue not increase consumption. Increased consumption is the possible end result. I understand this does not apply to you but surely you can understand the human nature of wanting something that has been paid for.

It is only that I have been aboard ships where the rowdiness, the vomiting the fights have occurred. When comparing these conditions to other cruises I have taken the analysis result was clearly the "drink" package.

I am an advocate of having and paying for a drink if, when and as the occasion arrises not because the day is young and we have 15 to go...

Then please re read my entry. The purpose of the "plan" is to increaser revenue not increase consumption. Increased consumption is the possible end result. I understand this does not apply to you but surely you can understand the human nature of wanting something that has been paid for.

It is only that I have been aboard ships where the rowdiness, the vomiting the fights have occurred. When comparing these conditions to other cruises I have taken the analysis result was clearly the "drink" package.

I am an advocate of having and paying for a drink if, when and as the occasion arrises not because the day is young and we have 15 to go...

Whichever way you look at it "drinks package" or buying individual drinks the profit made on alcohol/soft drinks is enormous so dont really think that is a worry to boost profits by offering such a package. I think the actual number that actually purchase it and the amount they drink, not being all alcohol, makes it good value for what they would normally buy individually and dont think it will make a significant increase in profits just more choice for cruisers.

Good post Stephen and we all have personal choices and preferences. To criticise others for doing something different to you is utter madness. Each to their own. The drinks package will bring more Value and happiness to those who want it. Those who don't can carry on as they are.

Thank you. Exactly my thoughts.

The people I have met who over indulge, as it is being called here, do it regardless of the price. I do not think the lack of a package moderates their consumption.

On cruise I have been on that have been all inclusive I have not seen any inappropriate behaviour. I suppose P and O passengers might be different to other passengers but I doubt it.

P and O are offering a choice. Passengers who do not want the package just do not buy it. I won’t buy it as the cost is far more than I would spend on individual drinks.

Some people seem to object to other passengers having the choice of something they personally do not want. Is that a general meanness or I know best attitude? I don’t want a spa, buffet dining, British sailaways, quizzes, bridge, excursions by coach or fly cruises but other people probably like those choices.

Best wishes, Stephen.

I can only recount, as I have done many times before, that when Celebrity introduced drink packages the cost of drinks escalated dramatically. Now it may not happen on P&O, but I would not bet on it, if it does then those of us who drink far too little to make a drinks package viable, as well as those couples where one is a on drinker, will be major losers.

Statement by P&O on their Facebook page on 2nd October-

we are currently reviewing all our beverage packages to give our guests more choice and more details will be released shortly. At this point we cannot guarantee that existing products will be available on your cruise, so we have removed them from advance purchase. Packages are available to purchase on board, however as previously mentioned these are being reviewed and may be different from those currently on offer. Guests who have already purchased their Cards in advance will have these honoured onboard, no matter what the date of their cruise.

As a couple who enjoy a drink -we really hope they introduce the drinks package and we will purchase it.

Nearly all other cruise lines offer packages. The wine package that P and O currently offer does not interest us at all. We don't really drink the costa coffee but we do enjoy a few beers/cocktails during the day and evening and we think it would be good for us.

It would be nice to have the option to choose ourselves - I really hope they do introduce them

With the prices they have at the minute, I don't see why you shouldn't enjoy your beers and cocktails and still not spend anywhere near that amount of money. You would need about 8 or 9 per day to get to that level. And even if you did, there must be days when you wouldn't or you are ashore.