M27 J 3 and 4 closed this weekend

Cathygh

The M27 is going to be closed around Southampton with a 60 mile diversion route.

Avoid the M27 and Southampton this weekend at all costs. It is closed from 10pm on Friday 28th to 5am Monday 1st.

If you do travel anywhere near Southampton this weekend the waze navigation app might help. This will help you and others get around the traffic queues.

Also some trains have replacement buses.

If you are coming down for a cruise allow lots of extra time folks

Cathy

Are you sure it doesn't just mean closed from 10 pm to 6 am each day. That's what normally happens.

No Jean it is closed all weekend, apparently 140,000 vehicles use the M27 everyday and this will be the largest and longest diversion to date. Plus it will be closed for two more weekends next year.

I shall be watching the traffic jams tomorrow because we embark on Sunday and I want to know where to avoid.

Phil and Liz.

I live off the M3 and this weekend really is gong to be a nightmare, so anyone travelling down should heed the warnings and diversion instructions and leave lots of time if they have to travel on the day. Even if people are staying locally overnight, make sure you allow lots of time to get to the port itself as the roads around the centre and the port are bound to get really jammed up.

Blinkin' heck. I stand corrected Looks like I'm going to be lucky. It's closing again next year Apri; and October. I miss it by one day each time!!

You are definitely more lucky than me. We are due back in Southampton 27th April on Sapphire Princess, we are going to have to look at the best plan for getting home.

I live in the area and I know how disruptive and chaotic this weekend is likely to be. Official advice is to follow diversions and not Sat Nat alternatives through Southampton and local routes, which are expected to get very congested. These will however take people a long way out of their way.

There is also a free music event and buses replacing trains around Southampton Central ( so more vehicles on the road) and more ships than usual in the port.

Please do take this issue seriously and allow plenty of time whichever route you decide to take.

And if you do stay over locally the night before, also allow for plenty of time as there will be a lot of congestion on local roads.

A lot of us locals are going to be staying at home off the roads...so good luck.

I live in Southampton and am battening down the hatches for the weekend, it is going to be a nightmare....

I would suggest coming down the A3 towards Portsmouth and heading across, rather than the M3, at least there is a few options to the docks from the East rather than the West...

Good luck everyone.

Andy

There's just been a report on BBC South news about this and how bad it could be if a lot of drivers ignore the diversions and try to go via the local roads through Southampton. I hope everyone joining a cruise this weekend makes it OK. We are joining Ventura next October when this happens again so will definitely be keeping a close eye on this, normally it takes no more than 30 mins to drive for us but who knows, it's a long way off yet but we're considering taking the train in for that one...

I live in Southampton and am battening down the hatches for the weekend, it is going to be a nightmare....

I would suggest coming down the A3 towards Portsmouth and heading across, rather than the M3, at least there is a few options to the docks from the East rather than the West...

Good luck everyone.

Andy

Being another local this advice given by Andy is absolutely spot on. Just to add when coming off the A3 don't be tempted to use the M27 as it could be and probably will be blocked by traffic further on closer to Southampton so take the A27 and follow dock signs when you get to Southampton but expect it to be busy.

Agree with Strawberry field's post but beware the A27 between Portsmouth and Fareham, this can have some horrendous queues but it's a bit hit and miss. It might be worth checking traffic and leaving the M27 at junction 11 for Fareham.

I do tend to agree in what you say about junction 11 Zoe but my reasoning for saying avoid the M27 all together is I live on J11 and if the motorway backs up to there then I have been stuck there for hours. At least on the A27 you can turn off or stop for the toilet etc. Once you get to Bursledon on the A27 you can drop down to Woolston and the Itchen bridge to get to the docks. Whatever way you go this is going to be chaos I'm afraid. :(

Having said that a lot of local traffic will be avoiding Southampton this weekend. I know I'm going nowhere near it myself.

For any of the locals do you happen to know the closure dates next year?

If anyone has them I will note in my diary and avoid cruises at that time. I’m sure others would like to do the same.

No I'm trying to find them out myself as I am sailing in October next year. Even though I live here if the dates coincide with my cruise I will be staying in a Southampton city centre hotel the night before.

An email written by a local Councillor

M27 CLOSURES

I thought I should share with you information regarding the closure of part of the M27 (and M3) over the weekend 28th September to 1st October 2018. Also further works will be carried out over 26th to 29th April 2019 and 18th to 21st October 2019.

In short, two bridges over the M27 need to be replaced. This will necessitate the total closure of the M27 in both directions between Jct. 3 (M271 Junction) and Jct. 5 (Southampton Airport junction) from 2000hrs on the Friday until 0600hrs on the Monday through the above dates.

The main diversion route for this closure is around 58 miles and takes you through Salisbury and onto the A34. There is a local diversion which is shorter but will most likely be subject to traffic jams.

Special arrangements are in place for emergency vehicles throughout the closures, it is inevitable that long queues of traffic will occur in all directions.”

An email written by a local Councillor

M27 CLOSURES

I thought I should share with you information regarding the closure of part of the M27 (and M3) over the weekend 28th September to 1st October 2018. Also further works will be carried out over 26th to 29th April 2019 and 18th to 21st October 2019.

In short, two bridges over the M27 need to be replaced. This will necessitate the total closure of the M27 in both directions between Jct. 3 (M271 Junction) and Jct. 5 (Southampton Airport junction) from 2000hrs on the Friday until 0600hrs on the Monday through the above dates.

The main diversion route for this closure is around 58 miles and takes you through Salisbury and onto the A34. There is a local diversion which is shorter but will most likely be subject to traffic jams.

Special arrangements are in place for emergency vehicles throughout the closures, it is inevitable that long queues of traffic will occur in all directions.”

Thanks for that, it looks like it's a week prior to our cruise next year.

I do tend to agree in what you say about junction 11 Zoe but my reasoning for saying avoid the M27 all together is I live on J11 and if the motorway backs up to there then I have been stuck there for hours. At least on the A27 you can turn off or stop for the toilet etc. Once you get to Bursledon on the A27 you can drop down to Woolston and the Itchen bridge to get to the docks. Whatever way you go this is going to be chaos I'm afraid. :(

Having said that a lot of local traffic will be avoiding Southampton this weekend. I know I'm going nowhere near it myself.

Good advice, at least you have options from the East. The section that is closed is not a route locals would use to get in to town, more a through route to the New Forest and South West for us, so coming from that side has very few options.

Ichen Bridge will be mad, but have 50p ready and once you are over it, you are practically in the docks.

Good luck everyone.

Andy