Ripped jeans at dinner?

English101

I think this is a good teachable moment for your daughter about what is trendy vs. what is appropriate when going out to eat. Pants slung low below the butt are very trendy right now, but certainly not appropriate in a nice restaurant. Same with ripped jeans.

They don't want you dressed like a slob. Pair those pre-ripped (aka "deconstructed") jeans with a nice top and cute sandals and you're the height of fashion.

With an old and faded Budweiser t-shirt and Old Navy plastic flip-flops? It's a no-go. Use common sense.

The only time anyone in my party has ever been turned away from a dining venue is when trying to wear shorts into the main dining room on the ship that's reserved for more upscale attire. I know others have had different experiences, but that's mine.

This is exactly what is wrong today with mainstream cruising today. The company makes a rule or contract requirement and guests want to find a way around it. The cruise line needs to enforce the rules. Clearly not allowed under: " jeans that are overly faded with holes or tears"

It is not respectful to other guests and the cruise line not to follow the rules.

I can never understand how someone else's outfit can impact a person's enjoyment or experience at dinner. If the visual is that disruptive you can literally just look somewhere else. People allow others to steal their joy way to easily.

I can never understand how someone else's outfit can impact a person's enjoyment or experience at dinner. If the visual is that disruptive you can literally just look somewhere else. People allow others to steal their joy way to easily.

You're right, I think it's more a 'respecting others' thing... like one should dress appropriately to address a potential employer or a court or such. By making a modest effort one can respect the restaurant, chef, it's reputation and other diners; it seems like a small gesture/sacrifice and shows some class. OK, it may not be Raymond Blanc but the principle carries.

... that said and as you say, one shouldn't allow someone else's sad lack of such to ruin ones experience.

...but I'm old, what do I know.

I think this is a good teachable moment for your daughter about what is trendy vs. what is appropriate when going out to eat. Pants slung low below the butt are very trendy right now, but certainly not appropriate in a nice restaurant. Same with ripped jeans.

Intolerance is always a good thing to teach.

Actually low rise has been out for years, high waisted looser leg jeans are one of the current trend (ripped or not).

Actually low rise has been out for years, high waisted looser leg jeans are one of the current trend (ripped or not).

Maybe for women, but the guys are still running around with their pants belted around their thighs. Ridiculous look!

I know that I am old already...but;

back in my day, long time ago...We ripped our jeans, but then put a patch on them. LOL.

Thanks for the flashback to those iron on patches my mother used to put on Levi's. The one's that never looked the same color, and were always 4 times stiffer then the jeans ever were.

I’m not following how expecting people to follow a dress code is intolerant or disrespectful. Let’s face it, that’s what’s wrong with society. If you don’t like the rule shout discrimination or intolerance. Here’s an idea: how about we teach our kids to follow the rules even if they don’t like it because that is what society expects.

It’s not personal. If you don’t like the dress code...don’t go. Period.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m not following how expecting people to follow a dress code is intolerant or disrespectful. Let’s face it, that’s what’s wrong with society. If you don’t like the rule shout discrimination or intolerance. Here’s an idea: how about we teach our kids to follow the rules even if they don’t like it because that is what society expects.

Take it up with the cruise line. They don't enforce their dress codes.

Cant you just sew them up?

The "dress code" is very lax, you see some folks wearing ball caps to restaurants. If that is all she has well then ----

This is funny. Some of these jeans are brand new purchases and then they take scissors to them to create the rips where they want them.

Others are now sold pre-ripped. And using the word 'ripped' loosely, as in the photo above, where the whole lower leg section has been cut off.

Take it up with the cruise line. They don't enforce their dress codes.

Whether the cruise line chooses to enforce or not that’s up to them.

As parents, we should instill in our kids that yes the rules apply to them and make them follow them. This is why our prison are overflowing because guess what!? They weren’t forced to follow the rules!

Yes ripped jean are a long way from breaking the law but the premise is still the same.

Whether the cruise line chooses to enforce or not that’s up to them.

As parents, we should instill in our kids that yes the rules apply to them and make them follow them. This is why our prison are overflowing because guess what!? They weren’t forced to follow the rules!

Yes ripped jean are a long way from breaking the law but the premise is still the same.

Ripped jeans on a cruise ship = Gateway to prison.

:rolleyes:

I have no issue with taking my teenager to the check-in desk and asking if her ripped jeans are okay for dinner. If they say okay, there's the so-called teachable moment: Ask for permission.

And if you don't like that, get up and eat somewhere else.

Ripped jeans on a cruise ship = Gateway to prison.

[emoji57]

[emoji23] not what I said but sounds pretty funny. Ask any law enforcement person what jeans below the waist means in jail if you really need a laugh

I have no issue with taking my teenager to the check-in desk and asking if her ripped jeans are okay for dinner. If they say okay, there's the so-called teachable moment: Ask for permission.

Why would you need to ask that, when their dress code specifically says they are not acceptable? Seems to me the party that insists on bucking the dress code is the one that should "get up and eat somewhere else".

Why would you need to ask that, when their dress code specifically says they are not acceptable? Seems to me the party that insists on bucking the dress code is the one that should "get up and eat somewhere else".

If we have permission we aren't bucking anything.

So intolerant.

If we have permission we aren't bucking anything.

So intolerant.

So you would rather put the hostess on the spot by asking her if you can ignore the dress code. Nice.