Ripped jeans at dinner?

English101

I know that I am old already...but;

back in my day, long time ago...We ripped our jeans, but then put a patch on them. LOL.

Somehow I don't think the ripped jeans of today will pass muster in MDR. I guess there might be exceptions, I just don't know, but would probably try to discourage it, though that in itself might make the young'uns just try to push the system.;p

Age may play a factor here - children do not really have a dress jean pant skirt code - better it be a

behavior code if anything. The older the teenager is the less the room for acceptance but in essence

NCL is Free-Style to the core and the rule book of dining dress is often ignored as long as other guests

are not offended or would be offended. There are enough restaurants on any of the NCL ships to

satisfy just about anything one would want to wear starting with beach attire at the Buffet and up to the

near formal dress code at the top MDR or Le Bistro which are noted in the FAQ section of NCL.

Often I read and hear about the dress code being more severely applied for the male guest having to

return to his cabin and change with the offending item replaced.

"What is this dress code - men don't wear dresses" ! LOL !

So wear what you want to any of the restaurants but beware that the host/ess Maitre D' may police the

dress code - probably more so on the nights that the Captain and Hotel Director are out and about for

formal picture taking.

There is no dress code on the first night when your other clothes are still in the your suitcase being

delivered late to your stateroom. After that you can't use that as an excuse unless your luggage is lost.

Question about the HAVEN ?

The Haven restaurant would be like your own private restaurant and not open to other guests.

I would imagine that if the Haven host/ess were to receive complaints from other private guests

that you may be discretely told to redress the problem to make others more comfortable.

And then again ? ? ? anyone have a better answer ?

Edited by don't-use-real-name
Add Answer to ?

We are leaning on the Getaway on Sunday. My daughter wants to know if she’s allowed to wear ripped jeans to dinner. Assuming not for Tropicana. What about other restaurants? The Haven?

Cant you just sew them up?

The "dress code" is very lax, you see some folks wearing ball caps to restaurants. If that is all she has well then ----

Edited by armwinder

We are leaning on the Getaway on Sunday. My daughter wants to know if she’s allowed to wear ripped jeans to dinner. Assuming not for Tropicana. What about other restaurants? The Haven?

It will depend on how ripped they are and the opinion of the hostess that night. There is no way to judge, but she might be better off dressing in something a little less controversial for dinner. Any other time her jeans will be perfectly ok. A lot may have to do with her age as well.

They pay more attention to dress code in the specialty restaurants. I've seen lots of loose interpretation for the main dining rooms. Jeans with a few thready patches won't likely be stopped.

and I have seen many people turned away in some of the MDRs wearing ripped jeans or other questionable dress. It is still a matter of interpretation.

Cant you just sew them up?
I don't know if that was said in jest, but, I suspect she paid big $$ for those tears.

To the OP - the dress code as published in the MDR is seldom enforced in my observations. Unless the tears are exposing things that shouldn't be exposed, I can't imagine she would be stopped. If we're talking designer jeans with tears, she will be fine in the MDRs.

My answer to my own child would be bring them but have a back up. On my recent cruise my dressy sandals were killing me so I wore dollar store flip flops with my maxi dress because I figured they looked better than tennies. I was fully prepared to eat somewhere else though. On another cruise DH had to go get long pants on as he was stopped with nice Bermuda shorts.

I would allow ripped jeans and serve them a ripped dinner.

This is exactly what is wrong today with mainstream cruising today. The company makes a rule or contract requirement and guests want to find a way around it. The cruise line needs to enforce the rules. Clearly not allowed under: " jeans that are overly faded with holes or tears"

It is not respectful to other guests and the cruise line not to follow the rules.

From NCL: However, tank tops for men, thongs, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

So no ripped jeans.

Thtt sure covers it. NO ripped jeans.

The midship dining room is Freeforall dress code and ripped jeans are allowed. For the aft dining room, she should choose a different outfit.

Getaway is "cruise casual" in ALL MDRs. Shorts are allowed in all 3.

The ripped jeans (especially with today's fashion) are still a question. How NCL defines "overly" isn't clear.