Live on the Freedom of the Seas - Oct 6-13, 2018

We sailed out of San Juan on Jewel a few years back. I’ve been wanting to get back to San Juan ever since! We had such a nice precruise day there!

Freedom is our favorite of all RCI ships, we’ve been on her 5 times, and I am looking to book her for the southern itinerary.

I will be excitedly following your posts!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Currently on my flight home as we debarked this morning. Had a really great time!

Others are posting about bad experiences on the Freedom. Sep 22nd sailing specifically mentioned. Any issues to share?

OP just an FYI that wasn't made clear at all on our cruise is that you can take your WJ breakfast food into Giovanni's (unless you're in a GS and above then you can eat in Chop's) up until 11:00am...much nicer in there.

Ahhh Freedom of the seas!!

So happy for you. One on my favorite ships. I love the crew there, very nice people.

Our last time on Freedom was 2017 when she was still in Ft Lauderdale, Fl.

Can't wait to sail out of Puerto Rico.

Enjoy your trip.

EMBARKATION -

What a breeze! Left the hotel at 11:30 and was on the ship by noon! We took a cab from the Marriott. Since cabs are so easily available and prices regulated we opted to go the cab route instead of Uber which is typically my preference. Our driver was a nice man from San Juan. We talked about the hurricane - since he lives in the city his family and home are back together. The ride was $20, but we tipped $30 as appreciation for his kindness and just a little we could do to help their ongoing recovery.

They were pretty strict about letting you in your rooms until 1:30...so off to the Windjammer! Needless to say it was crowded! But at least I'm on a cruise ship!

It was pretty cloudy and raining off and on the last few days in San Juan; had it not been raining I would have preferred to go to Old San Juan (even though we have been there before).

Luggage was delivered by 4:30 so we unpacked really quick and then to the lovely munster drill at 5:45.

Which leads me to this thought .... the shopping guru guy (not sure of the offical title) was in our area helping gather the guests and all that fun stuff. Handsome guy. But why is there always a man in this role? I really don't pay much attention to the tips and deals they recommend as we never cruise to shop for diamonds (maybe I am missing out, I love jewelry but prefer to buy at home).. but if I had to say, I would really trust a woman's shopping tips over a mans? Not that this is a matter of trust, I just think women are better shoppers. Maybe it's a cultural thing.

I didn't mean to get side tracked on a what I hope no one blows into a man or woman issue.. it isn't .. just a thought! No big deal.

Anyway, embarkation day went smooth.

ST. MAARTEN:

I didn't mention earlier we are in a panoramic ocean view cabin. I had reserved an aft balcony; something I have always wanted, but when I say this cabin we opted to change since this cruise is so port instensive. Laying in bed this morning as we docked in St Maarten, watching the view with floor to ceiling windows was amazing!! Love this cabin!!

Last night when we returned from dinner we had the lovely "Your shore excursion has been cancelled due to not enough participation". I thought my daughter was going to breakdown into tears. I was annoyed that it was 9pm at night, just before we were to arrive the next morning. Then I thought we had just gotten on the ship and they had hoped people would sign up. This was for the Ulitmate Snorkel and Beach outing. Would have been a fun morning. Oh well.. we will wing it!

The cabin announced when it was ok to disembark and head to port. He mentioned rain was expected throughout the day. Bummer. We head to the port right after breakfast and hoped rain would hold off until after lunch so we could at least get a couple hours in at the beach! As I right this, it is 4pm and no rain, plenty of clouds though!

We were going to go to Orient Beach but when I asked at the informational desk in port they suggested we go to the beach right nearby via the water taxi as Orient Beach only had one restaurant, bathroom and the water was really choppy! We opted to take the water taxi. Someday I will make it to Orient Beach!

ST MAARTEN part 2

Once we got to downtown via the water taxi we talked along the edge of the beach and street looking for the perfect spot! The beach was lined with chairs and plenty of locals asking you to use their chairs!

I saw the sign for the Yoda Guy Shop....I was glad to have found it! But, he wasn't open yet so the detour was pointless and we went back to walking along the beach.

Finally we picked a place! Unfortantely for some dumb reason the farther away from the ship we got the more expensive the chairs got. I was tired of being asked so finally said yes - $30 3 chairs and umbrella and talked the guy into 3 drinks because the earlier offers were $25 for 5 drinks! LOL

People had mentioned a drop off once you enter the water but it wasn't bad. My DD and DH spent a good portion of the morning in the water. There was a water trampoline but it was hard to climb on and didn't bounce super good.

There were nice ladies walking up and down the beach all day offering massages, hair braiding and such. I typically get annoyed with peddlers but they were all nice and my heart just breaks for the people of this island. I told them all no thank you and they politely went away.

They then rented a jet ski for $45 for 30 min... they had a blast cruising around the bay! This made up for the cancelled excursion!

Around noon we walked back and found the Yoda Shop again. I am not a Star Wars fan. But this was really need to see and learn about some of the behind the scenes stuff! We paid the $10pp for the full tour. Was glad to we did it. My DH was surprised at all the neat stuff. It just isn't Star Wars.

Next time we come back, will go see the island!

Which leads me to this thought .... the shopping guru guy (not sure of the offical title) was in our area helping gather the guests and all that fun stuff. Handsome guy. But why is there always a man in this role? I really don't pay much attention to the tips and deals they recommend as we never cruise to shop for diamonds (maybe I am missing out, I love jewelry but prefer to buy at home).. but if I had to say, I would really trust a woman's shopping tips over a mans? Not that this is a matter of trust, I just think women are better shoppers. Maybe it's a cultural thing.

Anyway, embarkation day went smooth.

C'mon!! Stereotyping just a little bit?? LOL.... Anyway, don't pay any attention to who does the shopping talk on the ships. It might as well be a trained monkey (and no insult to anyone intended) and it wouldn't matter. They work on a loose script. All the stores and specials they mention are all paid for, mostly by kickbacks to the cruise company. That's the reason they always ask if you're on a ship and ask for your ship card or cabin number. Expertise and shopping skills have nothing to do with it. They are paid to excitedly say what they say.

C'mon!! Stereotyping just a little bit?? LOL.... Anyway, don't pay any attention to who does the shopping talk on the ships. It might as well be a trained monkey (and no insult to anyone intended) and it wouldn't matter. They work on a loose script. All the stores and specials they mention are all paid for, mostly by kickbacks to the cruise company. That's the reason they always ask if you're on a ship and ask for your ship card or cabin number. Expertise and shopping skills have nothing to do with it. They are paid to excitedly say what they say.

So very true.. paid they are indeed!!!

Really disappointing about your excursion.

It would have been ideal if they would have let you know earlier that it might not go and asked you for a back up option just in case. They could have added you to another excursion on stand by in case your excursion didn't happen.

It's funny to me that you said "needless to say" the Windjammer was crowded on embarkation. I have been wondering if it would be less crowded on embarkation on Freedom since sailaway is so late; passengers might take their time boarding the ship. Good to know it was crowded!

Thank you for your review. Loving it so far and will continue to follow!

Eeyore

I had the Veggie Mofongo -- served a little differently than I expected. It wasn't in a bowl, the potato part was shaped with a nice array of fresh veggies on top!

Mofongo is actually made from mashed, unripened plantains, not potatoes. It’s kind of a substitute for potatoes.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to write the review. I hope you enjoy the whole cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mofongo is actually made from mashed, unripened plantains, not potatoes. It’s kind of a substitute for potatoes.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to write the review. I hope you enjoy the whole cruise!

Thanks for the correction.. was thinking Potatos was incorrect but couldn't place what was correct!!

I didn't mention earlier we are in a panoramic ocean view cabin. I had reserved an aft balcony; something I have always wanted, but when I say this cabin we opted to change since this cruise is so port instensive. Laying in bed this morning as we docked in St Maarten, watching the view with floor to ceiling windows was amazing!! Love this cabin!!

so happy to hear this , we have 1814 on our feb 10 cruise and i can't wait , hubby and I find a quite spot with a view and read on sea days , might not even have to leave the room :D

I have so enjoyed reading the live, as I cruise reviews, thus I am paying it back with one as we embark on the Freedom tomorrow from San Juan!

Yessss! Thank you! Was hoping someone would do a live review of Freedom. Been envious of the other cruise ship live reviews. Thank you!!