No port fee refund for missed port.....is this NCL's new policy??

lanceholt

We just got home from a wonderful 12 day British Isles cruise on the Jade. The ship was to stop in Edinburgh but that port was skipped due to the waves that day. We asked about getting our port fee refunded and were told that headquarters said no. There were 3 of us in our suite and the ship was full. I know it is not a huge amount of money but right is right if this is indeed wrong to do!! Otherwise this cruise was absolutely perfect!!

We just got home from a wonderful 12 day British Isles cruise on the Jade. The ship was to stop in Edinburgh but that port was skipped due to the waves that day. We asked about getting our port fee refunded and were told that headquarters said no. There were 3 of us in our suite and the ship was full. I know it is not a huge amount of money but right is right if this is indeed wrong to do!! Otherwise this cruise was absolutely perfect!!

I have never heard of that before We have , many times had ports skipped due to weather and always our account shows a port tax refund. You are right it isn't much but it also isn't right. Let's hope we get a clarification on this

It is my understanding that since Edinburgh was a tender port there were no port fees paid to begin with so no refund of what wasn’t paid in the first place. I’m not an authority on this and this is what I heard from the captain at the “Meet the Ship’s Officers.”

During that extra sea day the captain was highly visible walking around the ship and talking, explaining, and apologizing to passengers for skipping that port.

I too thought this was the best cruise I’ve ever taken. The crew was fabulous.

My wife and I were never refunded Bermuda on the September 9th sailing. We get to stop in Port Canaveral and GSC LOL

It was my understanding that passengers on the Escape 9/9 sailing got a refund of $30 OBC for the changes in port fees at teh beginning of the cruise, but then never got an additional refund for missing Nassau?

I was on the same cruise and that thought crossed my mind also. I just figured because it was a tender port and we didn’t actually dock we wouldn’t qualify.

So glad we spent 3 days pre-cruise in Edinburgh as it was our favorite city on this trip though Dublin was pretty good as well.

It is my understanding that since Edinburgh was a tender port there were no port fees paid to begin with so no refund of what wasn’t paid in the first place. I’m not an authority on this and this is what I heard from the captain at the “Meet the Ship’s Officers.”

During that extra sea day the captain was highly visible walking around the ship and talking, explaining, and apologizing to passengers for skipping that port.

I too thought this was the best cruise I’ve ever taken. The crew was fabulous.

On Escape 9/23-30 we skipped Bar Harbor which is also a tender port and we were all refunded 27.00 each

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was my understanding that passengers on the Escape 9/9 sailing got a refund of $30 OBC for the changes in port fees at teh beginning of the cruise, but then never got an additional refund for missing Nassau?

My mistake, you are correct. We never got a refund for Nassau. Which is crazy since the Captain new we would not be stopping there before we left NYC

This will happen if NCL miscalculated the port fees prior to sailing and didn't charge enough. Instead of looking at individual ports you need to look at the total fees for the cruise. If they are less than you paid you should get a refund, if they are more NCL will eat the difference instead of charging you the correct, higher amount.

We were on The Jade, too, last week and wondering the same thing with the port charges. It would help ease a little of the pain of missing Edinburgh. I was really looking forward to it! I do understand why we had to miss it. We've been on other cruises that missed ports and were always refunded the port charges. They should've explained it to us on the ship about the port charges.