Are there scales in the cruise fitness center?

OceanCruise

A family member needs to weigh self twice daily for medical reasons. Special needs department said there are no bathroom scales available for stateroom use and suggested going to the infirmary to use the scale there. However,  I was wondering if there scales in the fitness center as that would be a much more convenient option as infirmary hours are usually limited.  How late is the fitness center generally open?

25 minutes ago, OceanCruise said:

A family member needs to weigh self twice daily for medical reasons. Special needs department said there are no bathroom scales available for stateroom use and suggested going to the infirmary to use the scale there. However,  I was wondering if there scales in the fitness center as that would be a much more convenient option as infirmary hours are usually limited.  How late is the fitness center generally open?

There are scales in the gym. Not sure how accurate they are. I use the gym but avoid the scales. 😉 The gym is open from 6:00 AM to 11:00 PM. 

Edited by davekathy

24 minutes ago, OceanCruise said:

In our past Summit cruise the fitness center was open from 6:00AM to 11:00PM, staffed 7AM to 7PM

Keep in mind that the scales are not as accurate while the ship is in motion, particularly if it is rocking a bit.   If it is a medical reason, I am thinking that perhaps if there is one in the infirmary it might be more accurate than the one in the gym but I don't know that for a fact.  The infirmary, though, has considerably more limited hours than the gym.  If it is critical medically to be very accurate your family member might be better off bringing their own, reliable portable scale. 

I might try asking your stateroom attendant once onboard.  I know that there are scales in all of the suites and maybe in in Aqua class cabins (I can't remember for sure but think there are).  It should be possible for the attendant to obtain one of these for your use.  Getting on a scale is the last thing I want to do on a cruise so I would be happy to give it up.  

It's bothersome to me that the special needs department wasn't more accommodating since there are many scales on the ship.  

Agree.  Suites do have scales, but they are not at all accurate while at sea due to the buoyancy of the ship.  The weight with vary by at least +- 7 pounds in other direction at any one time.  There is also a scale in the gym, but it will have the same results.  Try weighing when in port and the ship is tied down.  It will still vary, but will be closer to accurate

The gym may be on a higher deck than the medical center.

Usually, the medical center is on one of the lower decks. I am mentioning this because there may be less ship motion for a scale at the medical center to affect the scale’s readings. Sometimes, the ships’s motion can be felt more on the upper decks.

Also, your relative should be aware that salt in the food preparation can cause extra water weight. 

For me, no matter how hard I try to eat healthy food,staying away from obviously salty items, drinking water and walking for exercise, I end up with puffy ankles mid cruise. Heat and humidity may also be factor for me regarding fluid retention.

If your relative sees an increase in his/her weight, it may be due to the factors I have mentioned.

For me, my puffy ankles subside a day or two after a cruise when I return home to my own food preparation and exercise routine.

Thank you all for your replies. We are in a suite so hopefully there will be a scale available. Otherwise the person will probably use the fitness center scale to avoid infirmary germs. Good points you all mentioned about the ship motion affecting scale accuracy! We had not thought of that and will try to do the weighing when docked. However, I am now curious to know if the medical center scale is somehow specially calibrated to offset the effects of ship motion. 

1 hour ago, OceanCruise said:

Thank you all for your replies. We are in a suite so hopefully there will be a scale available. Otherwise the person will probably use the fitness center scale to avoid infirmary germs. Good points you all mentioned about the ship motion affecting scale accuracy! We had not thought of that and will try to do the weighing when docked. However, I am now curious to know if the medical center scale is somehow specially calibrated to offset the effects of ship motion. 

You're welcome. Best source for that answer is at the ships medical facility.  

2 hours ago, OceanCruise said:

I can confirm that they do have bathroom scales in the Suites,  at least in CS and above as I have never traveled in a SS.   You might be able to get a weight if in a port and the ship isn't rocking but when at sea they swing in about a 20+ range and never really stabilize to give you an accurate weight.  

The scales in the gym are also the same bathroom scale and act the same.