Florida turnpike to FLL

Kate45

We are driving from Canada. Our route to Ft Lauderdale takes us on various parts of the Florida Turnpike. I understand some parts of the Turnpike are "Sunpass" only. Obviously we don't have that. What are we to do?

I'll defer to those more expert on Sun Pass about the exclusive areas but I think it's that certain exits are Sun Pass limited.

That said, it's relatively easy to get a sun pass transponder.  You can purchase one on the website (sunpass.com) or you can buy one at the visitors plaza just after you cross into the state.  The website will tell you where you can buy.

Just our personal experience but we think the sunpass is the best way to go.  You only have to slow down at the toll booths.  I95 avoids the turnpike but we've found from experience that the turnpike is a more enjoyable ride.  Less traffic and more sane drivers.  The sunpass website also has a calculator that allows you to estimate your projected tolls.  Probably less than $20 each way.  There are two transponders.  One permanently attaches to your window like a decal, about five bucks. There is also a version that can be moved from vehicle to vehicle.  IIRC about $20.  

Your call but we much prefer the turnpike.  Our GPS routed us onto I95 once and we avoid the interstate since.

11 minutes ago, Kate45 said:

So how does the Sunpass you mentioned for $5 work, Rocketman?

I'm not RocketMan, but the $5 Sunpass is not transferable to another vehicle.  Check out the What is Sunpass and the Traveler Information sections of the Sunpass website: https://www.sunpass.com/en/home/index.shtml

Edited by capriccio

19 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I'm not RocketMan, but the $5 Sunpass is not transferable to another vehicle.  Check out the What is Sunpass and the Traveler Information sections of the Sunpass website: https://www.sunpass.com/en/home/index.shtml

That is correct.  I thought I was clear that the $5 Sunpass attaches like a decal to your car that it can't be transferred.  We bought the $5 sun pass before and while it worked fine, we sold that car.  We then bought the transferrable since our current car is a lease.  

38 minutes ago, Kate45 said:

So how does the Sunpass you mentioned for $5 work, Rocketman?

It's pretty simple.  Attachment instructions are on the sunpass website.  It's decal or sticker that attaches to the windshield near the rear view mirror.  When you activate the transponder, you also place funds on your sunpass account.  From there on, you just drive through the dedicated sunpass lanes.  Your toll is automatically deducted.  Like I said, it's worthwhile to use the sunpass toll estimator (on the website) to estimate your tolls so you'll no how much to place on your account.  Don't forget, your both coming and going so you'll need to do both estimates.  You can also check your account to see if you need more funds.  

The transponder that can be moved is a bit larger and uses suction cups to attach to the window.  Works the same way.

Really, the best advice is to visit the website.  It's very informative and will answer all your questions.

One other thing,  with the sunpass, you don't have to worry about correct change, etc.

Edited by RocketMan275

4 hours ago, Kate45 said:

We are driving from Canada. Our route to Ft Lauderdale takes us on various parts of the Florida Turnpike. I understand some parts of the Turnpike are "Sunpass" only. Obviously we don't have that. What are we to do?

Question:  what route are you taking.  If you're coming down I95 you might be better not worrying about the turnpike. 

We're normally coming down I75 which makes the turnpike more convenient.

We normally go I75 but decided to go thru Buffalo border and eventually meet up with I95 for something different. We have had a chance to look at our maps and I think we will stick to I95. Hopefully, traffic won't be too bad. Anyone know the cutoff we need to get to the port in Ft Lauderdale?

I have definitely taken the sticker sunpass off a window and attached it to a new car.  It works.  May not work every time, but it's doable.

Personally, I would just take I95 instead of the Turnpike if you want to avoid dealing with tolls.  Coming from as far as you are, it will make almost no difference in timing.

My personal opinion is that I prefer I95 over the turnpike as well.  It has more lanes.  And that 3rd lane on I95 makes a huge difference and the drive is less stressful, to me.  The issue with the turnpike is it's only 2 lanes but a decent amount of cars and traffic.  So you have people constantly road raging and trying to get around slow drivers in the left lane, people not getting over, etc. etc.  I hate that road.  The "issues" with I95 being "crazy" are largely in Miami, but coming from north in to Fort Lauderdale it's a perfectly normal highway.

As smurphy just said, the cutoff for the port if 595.  You jump on 595 east and stay left.  It will literally end at the guard gates for the port.

Edited by BNBR

17 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

Why does this thread currently show 10 replies but zero views?  How can that be? :classic_wacko:

I see that on a few of the threads here.  I've sent an email off to let them know.

Edited by Host CJSKIDS

anyplace in FL that is 'electronic toll only' the default system is 'toll by plate'

here the toll gantry 'reads' your tag and you get a monthly bill for tolls accrued with a service charge

the big issue about this 'toll by plate' system is what happens with RENTAL CARS ....... if you are in YOUR car there is no worry ....

<will a Canada tag ever see the bill??? I dunno but it is NOT a violation>

face it, plenty of folks find themself on a electron only toll road and the state can't arrest 'em all!

from: https://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/travel-ideas/florida-driving-rules-toll-roads.html

• Paying by Toll-By-Plate: Where all-electronic tolling is in effect, you can pay by this method. A camera takes a picture of your license plate, and you’re mailed a bill for tolls plus a $2.50 service charge.
  • Areas that don’t accept cash: The Miami section of the Turnpike and the following locations don’t accept cash: Mid Bay Connector (Destin); Veterans Expressway (Tampa); Selman Expressway (Tampa); and Sawgrass Expressway (Ft. Lauderdale). Hollywood Boulevard (Exit 49) and Griffin Road (Exit 53) in Broward County are also now all electronic. So you need to use SunPass or Toll-By-Plate. (See above for details.)
Edited by Capt_BJ

You don't have to use Sunpass on the Turnpike until you get to Miami, but Ft. Lauderdale is north of that so you don't have to worry. We live in FL near Tampa but do not have Sunpass and when going to the Ft. Lauderdale port we get off the Turnpike at the Fort Pierce exit right onto I-95 which is north of Ft. Lauderdale. You can go further south on the Turnpike to Ft. Lauderdale, but we have found some of those exits are not convenient to I-95 south and take you on a round about way to get to it. The Turnpike is a toll road and I-95 isn't.