Westerdam is to dock an hour away from Shanghai

sansterre

We learned yesterday that the Westerdam will dock at Wusongkau International Cruise Terminal, a pier approximately one hour from Shanghai.  It is disappointing as we will not be able to see the lights of Shanghai.  We were told on board that the Westerdam was never intended to dock in the city because it is too long.  However, we had always understood we would be there, in the heart of Shanghai.  The Westerdam was listed at that port and It was one of the major reasons we took this 6 week cruise from Vancouver.   Furthermore, a few days ago our TA sent us a notice from HAL of the change in plans for docking in Shanghai; others who booked directly with HAL received an email from HAL with the change.  Should we be more than disappointed.  I am angry.  DH and I had planned to walk to the Bund the second day.

We have a tour booked on Roll Call to an ancient village the first day.  Otherwise would think of getting a hotel in the city, or staying late in the city to enjoy a river cruise etc.  Has this happened to others?  Is the Westerdam really too long to be docked along side the river near the Bund?   

Sorry to hear of your problem

Maybe you can arrange to have your first day tour drop you off in the Bund at the end and then take a taxi to the ship. Or maybe they can provide a drive through, 

How has the ship been, we board in Hong Kong and there have been no posts about any of the prior ports

Hope you find a solution.

I appreciate your disappointment - calling this their best "International Cruise Port" is a pretty dunder-headed move.  Especially since they encouraged special visas for Shanghai cruise passengers. Unfortunately in China, everything is done on such a big scale, big crowds, big growth that much of the old charm of this enticing destination got lost in the rush.

The view of The Bund and Pudong from the water cannot be beat so I hope, now that you know, you find the best way to enjoy this fascinating city. And realize you may find other very surprising aspects to enjoy getting away from the now artificial allure of the The Bund area - full of pick-pockets, foreign tourists and nothing really authentic about life in Shanghai today. But it remains visually stunning.   Especially at night. Yes, our Volendam was able to dock there a few years ago. Dazzling

Might want to look at the old fashion Astor House hotel if you want a unique and historic downtown hotel for a centrally-located overnight.  http://www.astorhousehotels.com/photos/ 

Wusongkou Cruise Port Transportation

Wusongkou Cruise Port is about 25 km from Shanghai center city.

There is no direct public transportation between the port and Shanghai city center. You can go to the port by subway or taxi. By subway, you may need to change lines, and walk some way. The most convenient way is to book a transfer service or take a taxi.

Edited by OlsSalt

Other HAL ships (Volendam & Amsterdam) that have previously docked on the Huangpu river near the Bund are approx. 155 feet shorter than the Westerdam. The issue is most likely the turning basin is too small for the Westerdam to turn in the Huangpu river. There is also a road bridge down river that has to be navigated. The height of the Westerdam may also make this an issue to pass under the bridge.

2002 Asia Pacific Cruise on the Volendam, we expected to be docked near the Bund.  Due to tidal conditions, the ship had to dock at a freight pier, maybe the same one that the Westerdam will dock.  (I remember it being a long ride from our last tour stop.)  Was it disappointing?  Yes.  Did it spoil my enjoyment of visiting the city of Shanghai?  No.  It was simply another "blip" that one experiences when one travels.

My advice:  make the best of it and enjoy what you are able to see in this very interesting city.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hastinc said:

Other HAL ships (Volendam & Amsterdam) that have previously docked on the Huangpu river near the Bund are approx. 155 feet shorter than the Westerdam. The issue is most likely the turning basin is too small for the Westerdam to turn in the Huangpu river. There is also a road bridge down river that has to be navigated. The height of the Westerdam may also make this an issue to pass under the bridge.

You are exactly correct! When I was on Amsterdam in 2014, we approached the International Cruise Terminal in downtown Shanghai "up river" and berthed starboard side alongside. On Day 3, our last day in Shanghai, Capt. Eversen had to backtrack Amsterdam for approx. one mile down river to a point in the the Huangpu River, a man-made tributary of the Yangtze River, wide enough where he could initiate a swing to starboard to make a 180. He would then reverse his course stern first, backing up again up river, sail to the same berth we left, but now come port side alongside. The entire maneuver, from pulling in the gangway to moving that same gangway out again was anticipated to take a full hour and was planned between 1:00 and 2:00 pm. Amsterdam is 237.9 meters (780.51 feet) in length while Westerdam and the Vistas measure 285.24 meters (935.82 feet). Turning Amsterdam in the Huangpu was a tight fit; I don't believe the Vistas can make that turn

Btw, use caution in Shanghai! During our three-day stay, we had two pax and about eleven crew robbed of their possessions. Don't wander off the beaten path, especially at night!

No automatic alt text available.

Amsterdam backing up the Huangpu River to initiate a 180, about one mile down river where the Huangpu was wide enough to do so in order to have her bow in the direction of departure

OP, looks like you have company. Found on another "consumer complaint" website:

Rated with 1 star

Clark of Castle Rock, CO Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Holland America notified us that they were changing the embarkation port in Shanghai from the international cruise terminal in Shanghai to the Wusong Port terminal about an hour outside of Shanghai in the middle of nowhere. All our plans to enjoy the sights in Shanghai and walk along the Bund are out. The new embarkation port is looks to be in an industrial area that has nothing to offer. The HA representatives I complained to were not sympathetic and seemed to be used to this type of complaint.

Sorry about your disappointment, but this distant dock for the Westerdam was already being mentioned onboard ms Volendam last winter.  HAL should have done a better job of letting you know what to expect.  

We have docked at both the distant dock and in downtown Shanghai.  You can still stroll the Bund.  It will just take a bus ride to get there and back to the ship.  No fun, but well worth the effort.

Even when docked "downtown", a shuttle bus takes you to the Bund area (unless you like long hikes).

You will still love your visit to Shanghai.

Barbara

Edited by bcummin
  • Like 1

Interesting, OP.

We are booked on the Westerdam in the spring with a stop in Shanghai.  The thing that comes to mind is that some of the excursions that go to the Bund and so forth will have a lot less meat on the bone because it will take so darn long to get there and back.

I can see why the OP is sort of bummed out, but ultimately the cruise will no doubt still be a very enriching experience.  Hold a good thought and enjoy your cruise, sansterre.

Thanks all.  I could accept this change if only I had known.

But for HAL to notify us just a four days ago via our TA, something is not right.

If we had known, we would not have booked a Roll Call tour out to the village the first day;  we would have booked a hotel in the city instead.

Months ago, we looked into going to Xian from Tianjin port, but we would have missed our first day in Shanghai and overlooking the city and river at night.  We decided to enjoy Shanghai at night instead of Xian.

Or, had we known, we would have taken the cruise on the Amsterdam which apparently will be in the desired location while we are ousted.

I am still angry and trying to decide whether to take a cab to the subway two or three miles away or into the city.  Frustration increases as we learn there will be two mega ships in port with us.  They will have thousands of people disembarking and embarking as well as the 1300 people disembarking and embarking from the Westerdam.  What are the chances of getting a taxi in the morning?  Slim and none,  I'm afraid.  It's like adding salt to the wound.

Edited by sansterre
clarity

Only if you want to walk a bit, and have a local adventure - with all due and appropriate caution:

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/images/map/shanghai/subway-map.jpg

Using the above Shanghai metro map - Find the yellow line to start at Songbin Road or Baoyang Road - the easiest way is to use that and transfer to the Blue Line at the Hongkau Football Stadium and get off at People's Park station - then walk down the pedestrian Nanjing Road to the Bund - very busy day and night.

I spent extended time in Shanghai once and used the metro's extensively - they work much like any metro - learn your first and last station for the direction you  want to take, they used "smart cards" in those days and the announcements and signs were in Chinese and English. 

It sounds like the cruise terminal is very busy and apparently an attraction for even locals to visit so they should have a lot of information for you.

Another possibility to explore is seeing if they have any river ferry connections from the cruise terminal that could take you into the heart of the Bund at night on the water - might be the best way to see things on both sides of the river. I understand they might have these during the summer.

We took one during the day time to go past all the industrial zones to see the sprawl of the Shanghai development that was going on at that time. You want to do just the opposite - see the grand old stuff and get away from the industrial area - hope that is still a possibility. With street traffic such a mess in Shanghai you will want to use a taxi as little as possible and some sort of metro or ferry instead. 

Edited by OlsSalt

I was on Amsterdam yesterday when we made the turn in the middle of the river. We backed downriver aft first for about a mile before Capt. Eversen could turn the ship around, basically turning on a dime, and we could head downriver bow first. I can't imagine that a longer ship could have done it. There's also a bridge to go under, and a crew member told me that we had only 3 meters clearance. I'm not sure how much taller Westerdam is, but that might have been a tight fit as well.

I do understand your disappointment, and hope you got into town for the lights. They were truly fantastic.

Apparently there was a tour added when we arrived - a night tour on the river for $129.00.

We had signed up for a Roll Call tour to Tongli on the arrival day.  The guide was great and stopped at the Bund as the lights were just coming on (dusk) - not all the lights, but enough to get the idea of what the city would look like at dark.

Most people dealt with the once- an - hour shuttle, or stayed on the ship.  The terminal was new and quite beautiful.  However the walk, just to get to the out of the terminal was very long and provided no local maps or information (typical of the China port terminals).

We decided to stay away from the one hour shuttle and the lines on the second day and signed up for a HAL tour to Suzhou which, although twice the price of our Roll Call Tongli tour, ended up to be quite nice despite leaving at 6:15 am and being twice the cost with twice the number of people.

On to Japan where the ports do offer maps and great local information.  Sea day and Meet and Greet today  -aaaaahhhhh.

Edited by sansterre

This is really unfortunate.  The view is outstanding, really and truly, at night. You can watch the traffic on the river for hours. Mesmerizing! I can't imagine that the tour would be worth much.  The O/N hotel might be the best bet to salvage this port for OP.

13 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

This is really unfortunate.  The view is outstanding, really and truly, at night. You can watch the traffic on the river for hours. Mesmerizing! I can't imagine that the tour would be worth much.  The O/N hotel might be the best bet to salvage this port for OP.

Yes, one of our trivia team members did get a room at the Westin, probably cheaper than the cost of our  tour to Suzhou!!  We, however, had already committed to a Roll Call tour to Tongli the first day.  

If only we had known ahead of time, we would have stayed the night in Shanghai.....or taken the Amsterdam cruise.

Thanks Holland America - NOT.

26 minutes ago, sansterre said:

Yes, one of our trivia team members did get a room at the Westin, probably cheaper than the cost of our  tour to Suzhou!!  We, however, had already committed to a Roll Call tour to Tongli the first day.  

If only we had known ahead of time, we would have stayed the night in Shanghai.....or taken the Amsterdam cruise.

Thanks Holland America - NOT.

Everyone feels pretty bad about this last minute change of plans you had to experience, and we all certainly appreciate the warning for any of our own future cruise choices. Shanghai is such a fascinating city that even a few days is never enough, no matter where a ship is located. I hope someday you can plan a land-based trip and stay in the city itself for at least a week. 

Ho Chi Mhin City, Hanoi and Beijing also require docking well out of town and long bus rides to get to the cities themselves, no matter what the size of the ships. Bangkok too for most ships-, though I think some smaller ones can still dock city side. Long distance bus trips now appears to be the rule of the road for these popular Asian cities.

Hope they continue to offer overnight stays for all of these now remote docking cities to make staying in place for a while a more reasonable option.  Those long bus rides to the other cities are pretty exhausting in their own right making the whole time spent a little too rushed and intense.

Thanks for your follow-up report and that you were able to see as much as you did. Hopefully Shanghai will construct a more rapid rail/metro connection to their new port facility - they just do things like that because obviously they are planning on greater cruise traffic. Once one can connect to the metro system, the city is at your feet. 

Edited by OlsSalt

On 10/28/2018 at 8:21 AM, OlsSalt said:

OP, looks like you have company. Found on another "consumer complaint" website:

Rated with 1 star

Clark of Castle Rock, CO Verified Reviewer
Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Holland America notified us that they were changing the embarkation port in Shanghai from the international cruise terminal in Shanghai to the Wusong Port terminal about an hour outside of Shanghai in the middle of nowhere. All our plans to enjoy the sights in Shanghai and walk along the Bund are out. The new embarkation port is looks to be in an industrial area that has nothing to offer. The HA representatives I complained to were not sympathetic and seemed to be used to this type of complaint.

Thanks OlsSalt for this and your other responses.  Misery loves company and we do have lots of company. Even the 1300 passengers who just got on were inconvenienced to varying degrees.

1 minute ago, roberts2005 said:

Other than the bad experience in Shanghai, how has been ship board life.  Any special entertainment or lectures.  We boarding in Honk Kong.

thanks

Hong Kong ...ahhhh ...another major Asian port now well-removed from a former downtown location.

This now seems to be the case for all the major Asian cruise destinations - docks not close to the downtown action of days yore. Docking right in the middle of Hong Kong harbor was one of the more spectacular port setting too - the old Ocean Terminal, close to the Star Ferry crossing.

Just now, OlsSalt said:

Hong Kong ...ahhhh ...another major Asian port now well-removed from a former downtown location.

This now seems to be the case for all the major Asian cruise destinations - docks not close to the downtown action of days yore. Docking right in the middle of Hong Kong harbor was one of the more spectacular port setting too - the old Ocean Terminal, close to the Star Ferry crossing.

Spending three nights pre cruise in Hong Kong and hoping to board as late as possible. Because once we board don’t think we want to make trek back to town

Captain Mark Rowden is great - keeps us informed about what is going on.  Last night we had slowed down, turned around, etc. for a Helicopter emergency pick-up just after sunset, around 6pm.  He gives us pertinent information about the area in which we are sailing as well as weather, etc.

Ping Wing has been on board the last two weeks -  good lectures on Japan and China.

Entertainment ok - nothing to rave about.

Nothing special for us 5 star mariners - no cocktail party for the past 4+ weeks.  Not sure who is in charge of that.  Hotel director, Colin Jacob and the Captain invite us to a mariner lunch and the mariner's ceremony, but that is all.  CD is Andy Knox,  Prizes for trivia are the plastic pins, no matter if you have a perfect score or win 3 times in a row:  it is always the pins.  

Of course the Crow's Nest is noisy with the coffee makers in the morning and limited seating.

And the dining room aft is noisy and vibrates when ship is going more than 18 knots.

Otherwise everything is perfect and we are enjoying our cruise immensely.

5 minutes ago, sansterre said:

Captain Mark Rowden is great - keeps us informed about what is going on.  Last night we had slowed down, turned around, etc. for a Helicopter emergency pick-up just after sunset, around 6pm.  He gives us pertinent information about the area in which we are sailing as well as weather, etc.

Ping Wing has been on board the last two weeks -  good lectures on Japan and China.

Entertainment ok - nothing to rave about.

Nothing special for us 5 star mariners - no cocktail party for the past 4+ weeks.  Not sure who is in charge of that.  Hotel director, Colin Jacob and the Captain invite us to a mariner lunch and the mariner's ceremony, but that is all.  CD is Andy Knox,  Prizes for trivia are the plastic pins, no matter if you have a perfect score or win 3 times in a row:  it is always the pins.  

Of course the Crow's Nest is noisy with the coffee makers in the morning and limited seating.

And the dining room aft is noisy and vibrates when ship is going more than 18 knots.

Otherwise everything is perfect and we are enjoying our cruise immensely.

Thank you, looking forward to joining the ship.

Hi, we will be on Westerdam from 17 February till 17 march & I saw this post so asked my TA to double check. She has rung HAL 3 times now & they have told her over & over that we will be docking at the port in town. Last phone call to them was this morning? So confusing!

2 hours ago, Dioz said:

Hi, we will be on Westerdam from 17 February till 17 march & I saw this post so asked my TA to double check. She has rung HAL 3 times now & they have told her over & over that we will be docking at the port in town. Last phone call to them was this morning? So confusing!

Technically, you are "in town" - just not downtown.