Milk Based Hot Chocolate

Ep010835

Wondering if the milk based hot chocolate (rather than made from powder and hot water) that I've read about being available at the IC, I believe it was, is included a part of the UNLIMITED SODA & MORE PACKAGE. 

Any of you more seasoned Princess cruisers know?

3 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

Wondering if the milk based hot chocolate (rather than made from powder and hot water) that I've read about being available at the IC, I believe it was, is included a part of the UNLIMITED SODA & MORE PACKAGE. 

I just remember the hot chocolate being made from powder & hot water . I just added some cream to make it taste a little better.

I had a coffee card so it was included. I never asked if they could make it with milk. I will The next time.

Tony

• Like 2

The package description reads:

Indulge yourself with this premium Unlimited Soda & More Package, entitling you to unlimited fountain soft drinks, plus mocktails, juices, and complimentary hot chocolate throughout your cruise.

I would think that includes hot chocolate from IC so just ask them to make it with hot milk instead of water. It will still be from a packet but will be much nicer made with milk.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thrak said:

The package description reads:

Indulge yourself with this premium Unlimited Soda & More Package, entitling you to unlimited fountain soft drinks, plus mocktails, juices, and complimentary hot chocolate throughout your cruise.

I would think that includes hot chocolate from IC so just ask them to make it with hot milk instead of water. It will still be from a packet but will be much nicer made with milk.

Hi Thrak,

You forgot to add some Bailey’s Irish cream. 😁

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

4 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi Thrak,

Tony

No  beverage package. 😞  After the 28 day last October and the 14 day in March which both had the PBP it will be sad to sail without the package. 5 cruises booked and none with the PBP. I totally loved it as a perk but I'm far too cheap to pay for it. Loved my morning Vanilla Latte with a shot of Jameson. 😄

I always asked them to make it with milk at the IC.  Several times I saw them putting in some water and when I reminded them I wanted it with milk, they all stated they used a little water to blend it together to make it smooth and then added the hot milk.   And when I observed closer, this is what I always observed them doing.  They used the powder which was used for the flavored coffee drinks, but there was also hershey's syrup if you wanted them to use that.  I don't think it would be as rich as the powder.  I never saw them use the instant packages.

I have asked for hot chocolate at a couple of the bars which claimed to have it available, but it was always made from the instant pkgs.

2 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Jameson! Gah!

Jameson is great in a vanilla latte. On that particular cruise I mostly drank Talisker. I interspersed it with Chairman of the Board martinis and the occasional Tanqueray and Tonic. With the latte though, it was always Jameson. It "mixes" quite nicely.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:46 PM, Ep010835 said:

You'd think w/all the hot chocolate I drank and watched him make, I'd remember clearly... it's all fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure it was heaping spoonful(s) of cocoa powder and steamed milk from that machine that makes a lot of noise, lol.  I got that from the IC on the Grand at least 2x day.  He looked up, saw me, and said, "okay, large hot chocolate, no foam."  It is free with the unlimited soda and more card.

On 10/27/2018 at 7:11 PM, montgomeryfamily said:

I always asked them to make it with milk at the IC.  Several times I saw them putting in some water and when I reminded them I wanted it with milk, they all stated they used a little water to blend it together to make it smooth and then added the hot milk.   And when I observed closer, this is what I always observed them doing.  They used the powder which was used for the flavored coffee drinks, but there was also hershey's syrup if you wanted them to use that.  I don't think it would be as rich as the powder.  I never saw them use the instant packages.

I have asked for hot chocolate at a couple of the bars which claimed to have it available, but it was always made from the instant pkgs.

Having read threads discussing whether the hot chocolate was made with water or milk, I made it a point to notice.  They used the same process on the Golden this month.  When I asked the barista why he first added water to the several heaping scoops of powder, his answer was that it was easier to dissolve the powder in water.  Steamed milk was then added to the dissolved powder mixture.  There was Hershey’s syrup next to the powder but the hot chocolate made from powder tasted so good that I never tried it made with Hershey’s syrup.  We had exchanged our mini bar for two coffee packages for our 28 day cruise and the hot chocolate, as well as Mighty Leaf teas and fresh brewed coffee were all included as complimentary.

Edited by IECalCruiser

7 hours ago, IECalCruiser said:

Having read threads discussing whether the hot chocolate was made with water or milk, I made it a point to notice.  They used the same process on the Golden this month.  When I asked the barista why he first added water to the several heaping scoops of powder, his answer was that it was easier to dissolve the powder in water.  Steamed milk was then added to the dissolved powder mixture.  There was Hershey’s syrup next to the powder but the hot chocolate made from powder tasted so good that I never tried it made with Hershey’s syrup.  We had exchanged our mini bar for two coffee packages for our 28 day cruise and the hot chocolate, as well as Mighty Leaf teas and fresh brewed coffee were all included as complimentary.

11 hours ago, boltnut55 said:

You'd think w/all the hot chocolate I drank and watched him make, I'd remember clearly... it's all fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure it was heaping spoonful(s) of cocoa powder and steamed milk from that machine that makes a lot of noise, lol.  I got that from the IC on the Grand at least 2x day.  He looked up, saw me, and said, "okay, large hot chocolate, no foam." (that's ME!) It is free with the unlimited soda and more card.

Music to my ears! Thanks very much. 

Now this raises an interesting dilemma. Neither wife nor I drink coffee so I never considered swapping the mini bar for a coffee card. I've anticipated that we  swap for soft drinks in the fridge and buy an unlimited soda card for both of us. She's the soft drink person, I'm the hot chocolate person. Now I'm wondering If I wouldn't be bucks ahead getting the unlimited soda card for her and a coffee card for me. Especially now knowing that Mighty Leaf tea is also included. 

Think they might allow us to swap the entire contents of the mini bar for one soda card and one coffee card?

Just a note to say there is no longer an "Unlimited Soda" card. You will need to buy the "Soda and More" package. It's great. $8.05 per day (including tax) and it includes mocktails in addition to soda. Pretty much the best value on Princess ships.

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Just a note to say there is no longer an "Unlimited Soda" card. You will need to buy the "Soda and More" package. It's great. $8.05 per day (including tax) and it includes mocktails in addition to soda. Pretty much the best value on Princess ships.

Just when I thought I was getting my arms around it, I'm now confused again. Your post says there is no longer an Unlimited Soda package/card. Yet, I just now copied this from the Princess website:

Unlimited Soda & More Package the Unlimited Soda Package plus any mocktails, juices, and hot chocolate throughout the cruise.

What am I missing? Sounds unlimited to me. 

2 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

Just when I thought I was getting my arms around it, I'm now confused again. Your post says there is no longer an Unlimited Soda package/card. Yet, I just now copied this from the Princess website:

Unlimited Soda & More Package the Unlimited Soda Package plus any mocktails, juices, and hot chocolate throughout the cruise.

What am I missing? Sounds unlimited to me. 

They got rid of the unlimited soda package. Hence the "AND MORE".

You are over thinking.   :classic_blink:

4 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

So then let me ask my original question modified to accommodate my overthinking:

Now this raises an interesting dilemma. Neither wife nor I drink coffee so I never considered swapping the mini bar for a coffee card. I've anticipated that we  swap for soft drinks in the fridge and buy an Unlimited Soda & More Package  for both of us. She's the soft drink person, I'm the hot chocolate person. Now I'm wondering If I wouldn't be bucks ahead getting the Unlimited Soda & More Package  for her and a coffee card for me. Especially now knowing that Mighty Leaf tea is also included. 

Think they might allow us to swap the entire contents of the mini bar for one Unlimited Soda & More Package  and one coffee card?

Edited by Ep010835

11 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

So then let me ask my original question modified to accommodate my overthinking:

Now this raises an interesting dilemma. Neither wife nor I drink coffee so I never considered swapping the mini bar for a coffee card. I've anticipated that we  swap for soft drinks in the fridge and buy an Unlimited Soda & More Package  for both of us. She's the soft drink person, I'm the hot chocolate person. Now I'm wondering If I wouldn't be bucks ahead getting the Unlimited Soda & More Package  for her and a coffee card for me. Especially now knowing that Mighty Leaf tea is also included. 

Think they might allow us to swap the entire contents of the mini bar for one Unlimited Soda & More Package  and one coffee card?

For $8 per day the soda and more package is a good deal IMO.

No they will only exchange for the coffee cards, and sometimes 1 bottle of wine. (usually under $40)

• 2 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:15 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

Colo:  Is it just a name change or did something (restriction, etc.) actually change?

On 10/27/2018 at 7:39 PM, Lucky TGO said:

Hi Thrak,

Tony

Want a very interestng taste to it put a shot of Creme de Menthe in it and you have a Peppermint Patty taste.