Magic or Horizon

cindik

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

And usually a much cheaper airport to fly into.

I live in Fort Lauderdale and we just book whichever flight is better regardless of the airport.  The airports are pretty much interchangeable as they are a short hop down I95.

40 minutes ago, BNBR said:

I live in Fort Lauderdale and we just book whichever flight is better regardless of the airport.  The airports are pretty much interchangeable as they are a short hop down I95.

Not disputing you, from the northeast, it is usually the cheapest option to fly into (not even close) as compared to Miami. 

47 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Not disputing you, from the northeast, it is usually the cheapest option to fly into (not even close) as compared to Miami. 

Usually is.  Especially since all the budget airlines fly in to FLL.  But sometimes it not just price, it's time/direct flights, etc.

The OP's itineraries are almost identical with 3 ports the same.  That leaves HMC on the Magic vs. LaRomana on the Horizon.

If ports are important, I would definitely pick HMC.  I would also compare the # of hours in each port and go with whichever one has 8 or more per port.

If sailing for the ship, Horizon would have a slight edge.

6 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

While numbers do not lie, we never felt more crowded on a Vista class then a Dream class ship.  600 can be 2 if they do not impact your cruise.  

It's not the feeling of being crowded that bothers me.  If that becomes an issue,  I can always escape to the serenity of my balcony.  It's just the whole idea of being in the middle of the ocean with so many people.  Maybe  touch of claustrophobia.   Can I just not care for something?

28 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

It's not the feeling of being crowded that bothers me.  If that becomes an issue,  I can always escape to the serenity of my balcony.  It's just the whole idea of being in the middle of the ocean with so many people.  Maybe  touch of claustrophobia.   Can I just not care for something?

It's that you were wrong and now trying to double down on it.  Just admit it.  So now instead of Horizon being a "mega ship" because it's the same size, it's, oh well my claustrophobia cutoff is 2% smaller than horizon, so yeah, can't I just not care for something?

Sure, go ahead and not care for it.  But when you provide incorrect information, you obviously would expect people to correct you, right?  This is an internet forum afterall.

And by the way, the posted capacity difference is closer to 250, not 600.  The ships are nearly identical in size with a trivial difference in capacity accordingly.

Edited by BNBR

3 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

No that is not allowed.....  You can do whatever you want, just like everyone else.  Cruisecritic boards are for posting, people post and people comment, some reply.  There is no ill will, just discussion.  As you mentioned, you have a good day and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 8:53 AM, BNBR said:

It's a 30 minute difference... I'm not sure I'd personally qualify that as "so much easier".

On 1/11/2019 at 10:27 AM, jimbo5544 said:

And usually a much cheaper airport to fly into.

Thank you, it is easier to find a hotel in FLL with a shuttle, the flight is usually direct and cheaper than the options I have to fly and stay in Miami.  These are the reasons I said easier.

• Thanks 1

I’ve sailed on almost all of Carnival’s fleet, and I do not like the Vista class ships.  Would not sail again on that class if you paid me.  Horizon is very similar to Vista so here’s what I didn’t like:

1. Due to the IMAX (who uses that anyway?) in the middle of the ship, there is no grand atrium in the lobby with the typical glass elevators - this makes it feel very small and closed in and crowded.

2. No nightclub which means that the theater “converts” to a nightclub, which means all the theater seating is REMOVABLE- this means there are no tables to set drinks during the shows which means people SPILL drinks during shows by accidentally kicking them over.  Also not as much seating as a typical carnival theater and it also sucks as a nightclub cause it’s too “open” and the music echos.

3. Lido deck is crowded ALL THE TIME.  Bad layout - not enough chairs 

4. Whole ship feels “cramped” and passenger flow doesn’t make sense.

ive sailed on almost all of the Carnival ships and the Vista is BY FAR the worst I’ve been on.  My favorites are the Magic and the Pride.  I will also say that I’ve sailed on Royals Harmony of the Sea last year, which has 6,000 passengers and I never felt “crowded” at all and couldn’t believe that many ppl were on board .... but we were at capacity.  So it’s NOT the number of passengers on the Vista .... it’s the poor design of the ship.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 2:14 PM, SNJCruisers said:

Dear Recovery Dude:

Here is one word that trumps all of your negativity.....Havana.

I don’t understand the fascination with Havana that seems to appeal to many people.  The only thing exclusive to Havana cabins is the pool and hot tub during the day.  If you want to spend all day hanging out by the pool I can see how that could be appealing.  However, hanging out by a pool all day on a cruise ship is low on my list of things I like to do, but that is probably because I have a pool and spa in my backyard at home. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t understand the fascination with Havana that seems to appeal to many people.  The only thing exclusive to Havana cabins is the pool and hot tub during the day.  If you want to spend all day hanging out by the pool I can see how that could be appealing.  However, hanging out by a pool all day on a cruise ship is low on my list of things I like to do, but that is probably because I have a pool and spa in my backyard at home. 

Options are a good thing

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2019 at 1:37 PM, Cruisebird said:

Just booked the Magic for December 2019 over Christmas.  Needed 6 rooms so we are on Deck 9 which is under the Lido.  Not my favorite location but better then deck 1.  Anybody been u der the Lido on a Dream Class ship?  Looking for info on noise?

So did we... 5 rooms on Deck 9.  Now going to read through some of this posts to see what we can do :)