Expired ID help

lake53

52 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

The OP reported that the driver's license has arrived.

Still think that's valid info incase someone tries to go abroad with a passport that'll expire in less than 6 months or without blank pages (many countries want that now)

6 hours ago, Ombud said:

Still think that's valid info incase someone tries to go abroad with a passport that'll expire in less than 6 months or without blank pages (many countries want that now)

Many countries maybe but AFAIK there is only one in the Caribbean that requires that of cruise ship passengers and that's Cuba.

While South Carolina is, in some ways stuck in the1860's,  at least we get our licenses right on the spot at the DMV. No waiting days for them to process it and send it to you.   It is 2018 and with modern technology you would think the other states could get with the times and issue them right on the spot. If SC can do it, others can as well. 

1 hour ago, TruckerDave said:

While South Carolina is, in some ways stuck in the1860's,  at least we get our licenses right on the spot at the DMV. No waiting days for them to process it and send it to you.   It is 2018 and with modern technology you would think the other states could get with the times and issue them right on the spot. If SC can do it, others can as well. 

The problem in California was the rampant issuance of driver's licenses to people who shouldn't have them.  Yes, it's a personnel problem.  The solution was to tighten up the process and confirm all applications before issuing them.  

• Like 1

On 11/15/2018 at 7:56 PM, SeaMatesNYC said:

Verified, right, I read too quickly. But I do think you are correct that it might be accepted as the accompanying expired ID might both verify and validate. In any case, I do wish the (potential) kind-hearted cruiser all the best fortune in sorting out this mess! No good deed...

In MA. we  can get a n I.D. from the Registry of Motor vehicles  that tak the place of I.D. for non-drivers.  I suspect the wait time to receive it after application is about  the same as license renewal.

When I renewed my licensd some months ago, I kept the expired one and received my new one promptly.

On 11/18/2018 at 11:56 PM, Ombud said:

Not required for closed loop cruises, except going to Cuba.

A passport is good for entering the US up to the day it expires.

3 hours ago, SRF said:

Not required for closed loop cruises, except going to Cuba.

A passport is good for entering the US up to the day it expires.

True for closed loops and those that only go to Mexico / Caribbean.  Not true if going to many other countries  .... most require 2 blank pages + 6 months left. 

On 11/25/2018 at 10:42 AM, Ombud said:

True for closed loops and those that only go to Mexico / Caribbean.  Not true if going to many other countries  .... most require 2 blank pages + 6 months left. 

How will they require 6 months plus 2 blank pages on a cruise that has no requirement for a passport AT ALL?????

I never said you could enter any country with a passport with 1 day left on it.  I said that you can re-enter the US with that passport.

On 11/15/2018 at 7:11 PM, Doris&Nereus said:

In Florida one can get an ID from the DMV that is not a driver's license. My mom got one when she could no longer drive, and they took her picture and she got it on the spot.  

I recognize that it doesn't apply to the OP. Just wanted to point out that in some jurisdictions DMV issued ID card and DL are mutually exclusive. One can have one or the other, not both.