Prescription Mouthwash

gooch47

I'm currently using a prescription strength mouthwash for a gum problem.  The bottle is open and since I didn't think about it early enough to get a refill, that is all I have.  We leave early tomorrow (Monday).   I'm thinking I'll just leave it in my carry-on and hope for the best.

1 minute ago, gooch47 said:

Not flying, thank goodness, but the bottle is quart sized.  Too big for the little bag anyway.

In the future, and especially if you'll be flying, could you ask the pharmacist to dispense the full quantity, but in a few smaller individual bottles?

You might need for the physician/dentist to write this out, and it might help if the Rx includes "for travel".  Sometimes that can override other defaults (or get insurance coverage, etc.).

And if flying, keep the Rx script copy with you, too.

GC

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gooch47 said:

I'm currently using a prescription strength mouthwash for a gum problem.  The bottle is open and since I didn't think about it early enough to get a refill, that is all I have.  We leave early tomorrow (Monday).   I'm thinking I'll just leave it in my carry-on and hope for the best.

They are not going to say anything about it, don't understand why you are worried. The rules about liquids don't pertain to personal care items, ether prescription or non prescription.

• Like 1

I have placed a small travel sized bottle of mouthwash in plastic ziplock bags, between layers of clothing, in my large (airline checked) luggage.  Sometimes when they arrive in our cabin they are intact. More than once they have been opened.  I knew because the (new) seal was broken and one time the lid was on crooked.  When I know they have been tampered with I throw them in the trash.  

Just saying that suspicion of alcohol smuggling happens.

8 hours ago, gooch47 said:

My concern was that since it was open they might think it was booze, LOL.

Come to think about it, booze might work for the gum problem, too.

They don't care.

Stop worrying. If it looks like a mouthwash bottle and is full of scotch, they would pass it along. 

11 hours ago, xcell said:

Once they smell it -- they won't.

Peridex? Some sort of chlorhexidine rinse?

And once they do the TASTE test they will resign themselves to never question the contents of mouth wash again !

Listerine is not aged scotch ! Yeah it is alcohol based - but good luck with your digestive system !

And for those skallywags who think about smuggling booze in a Listerine bottle you better be planning on sterilizing

the plastic bottle a couple of times over getting that awful listerine taste out of the bottle. Yeah I tried it and it ain't

worth all that effort - buy the darn UBP and be done with it - what you need is rum runners in their virgin first use.

Why spoil the taste of aged liquor in Listerine or other mouth wash bottle. The UBP is the clear conscience way to go !

Who gargles aged scotch as a medicinal mouth wash anyway ?

As BirdTravels noted simply take it in your carry on.

Or even in your check luggage - questions open it up and do the taste test.

What part of mouth wash do you not understand !

I have a prescription mouthwash too but I put them in 3oz travel containers to avoid any delays at check in.  Here is the procedure from TSA.

3-1-1 Liquids Rule Exemption

TSA allows larger amounts of medically necessary liquids, gels, and aerosols in reasonable quantities for your trip, but you must declare them to TSA officers at the checkpoint for inspection.

Remove them from your carry-on bag to be screened separately from the rest of your belongings. You are not required to place your liquid medication in a plastic zip-top bag. If a liquid, gel, or aerosol declared as medically necessary alarms, then it may require additional screening and may not be allowed.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures

Shak

You'll be fine with large prescription liquids on planes and ships. As long as you can prove it is for prescribed medical reasons, you can bring it in carry on or checked baggage. I have done this many times with Chlorhexidine and Benzydamine. Usually, airport security allows large tubes of Voltaren and other non-prescription creams too.

The key is to declare it before you put in the Xray machine and they will swab it and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 7:10 AM, Shak said:

I have a prescription mouthwash too but I put them in 3oz travel containers to avoid any delays at check in.  Here is the procedure from TSA.

3-1-1 Liquids Rule Exemption

TSA allows larger amounts of medically necessary liquids, gels, and aerosols in reasonable quantities for your trip, but you must declare them to TSA officers at the checkpoint for inspection.

Remove them from your carry-on bag to be screened separately from the rest of your belongings. You are not required to place your liquid medication in a plastic zip-top bag. If a liquid, gel, or aerosol declared as medically necessary alarms, then it may require additional screening and may not be allowed.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures

Shak

Just curious what this has to do with taking something on board the ship. Those TSA rules don't apply to taking liquids on a ship.

5 hours ago, zqvol said:

Just curious what this has to do with taking something on board the ship. Those TSA rules don't apply to taking liquids on a ship.

The only thing I can reason out of this is the small bottles (liquor miniatures) and mouth wash samples TSA approved

are probably not worth NCL's time to check - NCL has better bigger fish to find and catch with 5ths liters and 1.75 liter

bottles of hooch - and of course NCL is not going to reveal their game plan.