Free Airfare

HeroG

For those who have used this perk how was your experience?  My TA told me they choose  the flight and only let you know 3 months in advance.  If you want to fly in the day before the cruise they charge an extra $50 per person.  I’m considering using this perk but I’m a little worried.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HeroG said:

For those who have used this perk how was your experience?  My TA told me they choose  the flight and only let you know 3 months in advance.  If you want to fly in the day before the cruise they charge an extra $50 per person.  I’m considering using this perk but I’m a little worried.

According to the current T&C, you can only deviate under the current promotion for Pride of America sailings.  I think you’re pretty much stuck flying in and out the day of.  

Most that I’ve priced have the “free” air plus the added / required ground transfers costing what I’d pay by booking the air directly myself.  Id rather chose an alternative perk and preserve flexibility & control over flight times.   

• Like 1

Wow The DougOut you’re a rockstar love your live posts.  I’m in Canada so the costs of airfare can be quiet high.  I’m just trying to see what people’s experieces are with flying when chartered by NCL.

26 minutes ago, TheDougOut said:

Most that I’ve priced have the “free” air plus the added / required ground transfers costing what I’d pay by booking the air directly myself.  Id rather chose an alternative perk and preserve flexibility & control over flight times.   

I was quoted an airfare of $365 plus $77 transfers from Montreal to San Juan.  I don’t think I could ever come close to beating that price on my own.  It is very risky flying in the same day but they are taking all the risks.  If I miss the ship sure I won’t be happy but then it’s their responsibility to get me to the next port.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw this too on mock booking for a 'round the Horn cruise on Star, Feb/Mar 2020. You have to plug in your local airport, DFW for me, and it said $999 - which might be a placeholder as no one knows 2020 fares yet.

I'd also checked fares on Orbitz or similar and it showed $1300appx R/T non-stop American Airlines, pretty good in itself. The thing that bothers me about NCL is choice of carriers, seating etc, no control by the pax.

Wish NCL made theirs like Royal and Celebrity.

I just booked Jade out of Miami with the airfare. The transfer fee was $32pp and was the same no matter what airport I originated from. Flying from philly was $199pp, BWI was $99pp, but I went with Newark for $0pp. I’m not touching 2 round trip tickets for $64 anywhere. Right now we are 91 days out, so I’m guessing we should get actual flight info any day now. 

• Like 1

I called today to inquire about the offer's flexibility. I was told that NCL airfare could flex perhaps two or three days before or after. You aren't told about the details of your flight until about 60 days before the cruise. So, if you are flexible and think it is a good deal, it might be an okay choice. 

On 11/25/2018 at 5:15 AM, geneticfreak said:

I just booked Jade out of Miami with the airfare. The transfer fee was $32pp and was the same no matter what airport I originated from. Flying from philly was $199pp, BWI was $99pp, but I went with Newark for $0pp. I’m not touching 2 round trip tickets for $64 anywhere. Right now we are 91 days out, so I’m guessing we should get actual flight info any day now. 

Most of the language around the promo says that you will receive flight information approximately 60 days prior to sailing. So you still have a month to go.

• Like 1

Just got off the phone with my TA she told me you DO NOT have to take NCL’s transfers to and from the airport.  She said this is a trick used by NCL to get you to pay for their overpriced bus service, you can simply opt out.  The trip I’m looking at NCL is charging $77 each for 3 of us for their transfers.  Instead I will just pay for a $20 taxi ride, a savings of $190

Is one benefit of using NCL transfer that the bags are handled by them from the airport to the ship? Ie you hand over baggage at the shuttle, and see them gain at your cabin door. That could benefit folks with lots of baggage. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

1 hour ago, BarnCat1 said:

Do they normally try and get you non-stop flights, hopefully not two stops?  Early am flight and red eyes normal? 

Is there a thread where people have used this perk with their reviews?  

BarnCat1 that’s the kind of feed back I was looking for.  Free air is kind of a new perk of NCL after the repositioned the Joy so I don’t know how many people have actually flyed through NCL.  Any feedback from those who have would help clarify this issue.

25 minutes ago, HeroG said:

BarnCat1 that’s the kind of feed back I was looking for.  Free air is kind of a new perk of NCL after the repositioned the Joy so I don’t know how many people have actually flyed through NCL.  Any feedback from those who have would help clarify this issue.

I checked the port city's airport list of airlines that they service and my cities airport list of airlines and NCL's list of airlines  as a process of elimination. Narrowed it down to only 3 or 4 possible airlines that could get us to the port city.  Some are non-stops, some have connecting, all are way above the price we were quoted.  

Because of the huge difference in price (in my favor) I would be willing to pay the $50.00 per person extra to fly in a day early, if they would allow that.  I usually do like to have control over my flights, but in this case I think I will let it go. 

i am very curious in others experience with this new perk.  

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2018 at 8:08 PM, BarnCat1 said:

I checked the port city's airport list of airlines that they service and my cities airport list of airlines and NCL's list of airlines  as a process of elimination. Narrowed it down to only 3 or 4 possible airlines that could get us to the port city.  Some are non-stops, some have connecting, all are way above the price we were quoted.  

Because of the huge difference in price (in my favor) I would be willing to pay the $50.00 per person extra to fly in a day early, if they would allow that.  I usually do like to have control over my flights, but in this case I think I will let it go. 

i am very curious in others experience with this new perk.  

Let us know how it worked out. Not a lot of details on the site. I’d personally rather pay less for the cruise and handle air on my own but it’s free from where I live.