FLL to Miami pre cruise...

kiminey65

Hello all. Last March I flew into FLL one day ahead of our cruise and had a glitch with my iphone while outside the baggage area in FLL. The place was obviously a mad house and I was among it as a party of 4. I could not get my iphone to activate, it just kept "thinking". I am hoping to be better prepared this next go-round. Also traveling in March. And due to heading to Brickell area, I need a plan that I can rely on. I think what happened last time was that I had my device set in Airplane mode then just took it off Airplane Mode once while outside. Will my plan to Uber (Which was my original plan last year as well) work out if I just power down while in flight, then power it on? And also, if I am able to get my Uber App activated, it is wisest to walk out of baggage and move toward our right where it looked like shuttles etc picked up their travelers? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me feel more confident on my plan!

It will take the Uber driver at least a few min to get to the pick up area.  You should be able to request your ride as you exit baggage claim.  Not sure it makes a difference if you use airplane mode or turn your phone off.  I think there's free wi-fi inside of FLL (you may need to log in), but I've never had an issue getting a signal.

If you are again a party of 4 you'll need UberXL - or just grab an SUV/minivan taxi -- fare for both should be about the same from FLL to your downtown Miami hotel.

• Like 1

Following.... we too are cruising in March, arriving in FLL day prior to cruise leaving POM. We typically stay in Ft L area, or fly into MIA and jump on a taxi. But since airfare is sky high in March 2019, opted for SWA into FLL. Looking for shuttle, transfer company, and have even looked at bus/Tri-rails as a possibility. Have settled on Uber or Lyft as best option, but will keep looking here for other cruisers experiences with UBER FLL to downtown Miami hotel. TIA

We're flying into FLL and staying there for 3 days before out cruise out of Miami.

I was first planning to get an Uber from FLL to the port, but we're renting a car anyway and it was only a few dollars more to return it to MIA instead of FLL.  Then we'll only need an Uber from MIA to the port.

OP here. We are traveling again with the same four people. I haven't decided yet on whether we will stay in Fort Lauderdale area (my husband liked the water taxi's from Las Olas area for a day of entertainment & we missed a lot last year due to taking the taxi down to Hollywood and wasting more time than we meant to) or try out Brickell area in Miami for that one day ahead. I think for safe measure I will power off my device then activate it as we wait for our baggage. A lot of people have success with Uber, and I have activated it successfully in the past. I'm not sure what happened last year? Also, can anyone guess whether it is a surge time (Higher prices) next March 8-16th? My Uber guesstimater has the XL reasonable, but it can't adjust itself for a surge.

The correct pick up spot is in-between the terminals on the islands. Shuttles on one side, Uber/Lyft on the other I believe. Not sure what your phone issue was, but perhaps power it on inside the terminal. I've never had an issue but I guess since the pickup area is sandwiched under parking structure and road, maybe your phone couldn't find a signal. The airport itself also has free WiFi, but I don't know if it works very well outside of the terminals.