What's up with having different dates for when excursions can be booked

OnTheJourney

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

I guess the catch is... Viking guarantees a reservation for some cabins... but they don't guarantee a specific time?!  So book early or book on board?

They let you decide but not until the cabin you're in can sign up.  If you want more choices they are availablr for more money.  I've eaten at normal times on both cruises I've been on with only a V cabin.  Even if it says or you hear they are fully booked, it never hurts to go by venue because they can tell you how yo make it happen, even if the computer says no.   That has worked both ways for me.

2 hours ago, Dauntless said:

No email reminder from Viking.  You can either do the math in your head or count the days on your calendar and then put on your email account as a reminder in your calendar and send yourself the reminder.  Very easy 

Our booking date for excursions and dining are both stated on the booking confirmation.  

On 1/13/2019 at 11:26 AM, Cyber Kat said:

You will get the included tour - that is guaranteed.  You might not get the time slot you want.  It's the optional tours people get up at 3am for - and if you are fussy about the time slot on the included tours.

This is not as black and white as your post suggests.

We were not able to get the included tour of our choice for either of the (only) two ports on our cruise to Cuba as they were fully booked within hours.

Their explanation is that you are guaranteed "one tour" but not necessarily the one you want or the day you want it.  We could not get the one and only free tour we wanted on either of the two days it was offered.  In Cuba, the only day that the "free" tour was available was the one and only day we are in port for a full day and can visit Havana or Trinidad, neither of which are included.  Might as well not have it at all IMO.  It has been a learning experience for sure.

We dine late so that was a problem to get two reservations at 8pm.  We will try and make the others once onboard and also will dine off the ship one night when we have that option.

Edited by caviargal

2 hours ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

small portions in Chef's Table?  Somehow didn't expect that. We booked it on the last sea day...was not our first choice but all that was open at 6:00. It's the Mexican menu...any feedback on that one? 

We haven't tried that one, but would like to do so. We have sampled four menus in the Chef's Table,  liked two menus , didn't care for one (but maybe we just don't like Peking duck?), and the Sweet and Salty meal was among our top meals of all times.

Yes, the portions of the five courses are small, but we were not hungry afterwards. In general, the portions in all venues  are more reasonable than those served in many American restaurants. You can always request more, but I appreciate that approach, and sometimes there was even room for dessert!

1 hour ago, caviargal said:

We were not able to get the included tour of our choice for either of the (only) two ports on our cruise to Cuba as they were fully booked within hours.

Their explanation is that you are guaranteed "one tour" but not necessarily the one you want or the day you want it.  We could not get the one and only free tour we wanted on either of the two days it was offered.  In Cuba, the only day that the "free" tour was available was the one and only day we are in port for a full day and can visit Havana or Trinidad, neither of which are included.  Might as well not have it at all IMO.  It has been a learning experience for sure.

We dine late so that was a problem to get two reservations at 8pm.  We will try and make the others once onboard and also will dine off the ship one night when we have that option.

It could be that Cuba has different conditions because of the nature of the port.  I don't know about that particular port, because it's not one we have done,  but I do know that for the ports I have been to with Viking, the made sure that everyone got on an included tour for that port.  They do NOT guarantee that you will get the time slot that you want, although they do their best at the Shore Excursion desks on the ship to try and get you on the one you want.   People cancel, they change their minds.  There were lots of changes being made the whole cruise long

WE INCLUDE MORE FEATURES & SERVICES THAN OTHERS:

• One complimentary shore excursion in every port of call
  • Free Wi-Fi (connection speed may vary)
  • Alternative restaurant dining at no extra charge
  • 24-hour room service
  • Beer, wine & soft drinks with onboard lunch & dinner
  • 24-hour specialty coffees, teas & bottled water
  • Access to top-rated spa & state-of-the-art fitness center
  • Self-service launderettes
  • Port taxes & fees
  • Ground transfers with Viking Air purchase

28 minutes ago, Cyber Kat said:

It could be that Cuba has different conditions because of the nature of the port.  I don't know about that particular port, because it's not one we have done,  but I do know that for the ports I have been to with Viking, the made sure that everyone got on an included tour for that port.  They do NOT guarantee that you will get the time slot that you want, although they do their best at the Shore Excursion desks on the ship to try and get you on the one you want.   People cancel, they change their minds.  There were lots of changes being made the whole cruise long

I do understand what the say in their marketing literature but they are not clear that you are not guaranteed the tour of your choice in a given port,  let alone the day or time slot you prefer to take it.  This IMO makes it quite unattractive since there really is no choice if the tour you want is always fully booked.  This distinction is significant and would have been helpful to know in advance.

In Cuba especially this is important as they tell us that we MUST take a Viking tour and yet they won't/can't confirm the tour we are interested in taking.  It is not possible to just wait until we are on board as Cuba tours require advance arrangements to secure a reputable company; there is not an endless supply of options as there are in the Caribbean (as an example).

Fortunately, I know from my research that Viking is incorrect in asserting that we MUST be on a Viking tour and we booked all private with other tour companies. 

Edited by caviargal

32 minutes ago, Ready to Sail! said:

It shows the actual dates for both, month day and year.  It is on page 3 at the bottom, after the detailed itinerary and air disclaimers. 

Thanks.  Just emailed my TA.  Can't find it in my email.  I remember getting one on previous trips.

Additionally, if you log on to your account on My Viking Journey, your home page shows a countdown, in days, to your departure.  Also, if your TA does not come through with the invoice, you can request one on My Viking Journey and I assume it will be emailed to you.

Edited by ropomo

3 minutes ago, ropomo said:

Additionally, if you log on to your account on My Viking Journey, your home page shows a countdown, in days, to your departure.  Also, if your TA does not come through with the invoice, you can request one on My Viking Journey and I assume it will be emailed to you.

I see what you mean... use that countdown timer to tell me when it's time to book things.

Where do you request an invoice?  I can't find it.

9 hours ago, zitsky said:

Is there an email reminder from Viking or do you do the math in your head... 

Our Viking invoice provides the date for dining reservations and excursion reservations

- Dining reservations on page 5, under heading of "Specialty Dining Reservations"

- Shore excursions reservations on page 6, under heading of "Shore Excursions"

I entered both these dates in my calendar.

9 hours ago, caviargal said:

9 hours ago, caviargal said:

It is as black and white as the literature suggests, which you obviously did not read.  It very clearly states that you are entitled to one included shore excursion in each port.  If you look at the shore excursions on the information provided on the website for the cruise, it stated with the word 'included' which excursion it will be.  If you don't get past the headlines then you are not investigating what is offered on the new experience

you are giving a try.

You keep talking about your 'free' excursion, which is not the 'included' one, shows you did not read what was printed in black and white on the website.  The port you are in 3 days offers the'same 'included' excursion every day you are in port.  That is the only one included and the others are for a fee.  If you want the other excursions there will be a fee, if you go with Viking or private contractor.  You have stated that is possible in Cuba and I have no reason to doubt it as I have not investigated.  It seems that the experience can be like a visit to Russia and you can work outside the cruise tours but i have no first hand knowledge.

Your dining might turn out better once on board as people do tend to change plans so things can change.

I guess the lesson learned is that if you have particular ideas of what you expect and are getting out of your established routine, make sure you evaluate what the  literature offers before you jump.  The 'included' tour will never the 'free; tour you want.  The cabin choice dictates the perks that come with each type and how many and when they will be available to you.  If you want or expect more then you might need to upgrade on your dime to a higher priced cabin.  That is your choice and not Viking's misrepresentation.

I remember you thought about cancelling when you found all this out but decided against it due to the cost.  I think there was also an air problem as well but you decided to go so if you want to enjoy this cruise you need to reevaluate your expectations and accept it for what it is.  The longer you dwell on the negatives, the more you add to the bad experience.  I am not saying you have to be a Pollyanna but Debbie Downer seldom has a nice experience.

• Like 1

We will agree to disagree.  I used "free" and "included" interchangeably as they are the same IMO, since neither are a cost to the passenger. 

Perhaps someone who has not yet cruised with VO will find my information helpful and not have an expectation that they are guaranteed an included excursion of their choice and not just the included excursion that happens to be available.  That is not the same thing IMO.  

Dining reservations were not an issue for us (I tried to edit my post but it was too late). We dine late and booked the 2 we were allowed at the time we wanted and know that we can make more on board if available. 

There is a place between Pollyanna and DD which is reality. I prefer to live there.

I’m new to Viking but always understood that I wasn’t able to go on any excursion I wanted, but just the one that was offered as the ‘included’ one. As it turns out for our Alaska cruise, none of the included ones are particularly appealing. 

We are also new to Viking and found that Viking very clearly represent what is "Included". We clearly understood you do not have the ability to select any of the ship excursions for free, you have the option of taking the "Included" excursion, or not. Every passenger is guaranteed a seat on the "Included" excursion in each port.

All other excursions are available at extra cost.

It is most unfortunate that you had an expectation you could select any excursion for free.

15 minutes ago, zitsky said:

When Viking publishes the list of excursions, do they also publicize the times?  Or do you see that when you book?

They publish what is being offered, how much it costs and what times will be offered.  When it is time for you to book, you ask for what you want and if it is sold out the site will inform you.  In many cases, there are other options available.  the included excursions usually have several time slots and they may have multiple excursions in groups leaving at the same time.  So if there are only four times, that does not mean that there are only four groups.