Trans-Atlantic Cruises

ecarbine

My wife and I are looking at the TA cruise on the Radiance in June 2020 but I have a couple concerns that I am hoping you fine people can help me with.

#1: I am particularly concerned about the Trans-Atlantic flight; Are these airplanes cramped like sardine cans the way domestic flights are? The thought of being uncomfortably cramped for 7 to 9 hours makes me break out in a cold sweat!!

#2: The ports of call are: Cartegena, Malaga, Funchal, and Ponta Delgada, I am completely ignorant about this area of the world; are these ports well equipped to handle several thousand cruisers or are we going to get off the ship and find that there are huge lines at the few attractions that are there?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by ecarbine

Yes, a normal seat on a transatlantic flight is just as packed. (Unless you upgrade)It doesn’t help when the passenger in front of you reclines their seat all the way back and bounces the whole time either. The plus side of the flight is wine and beer are free. Haha. 

We did a Mediterranean sailing in a April so I’m not sure about those ports. It was wonderful though!

We are booked on this TA as well, and def looking forward to it. We have flown over to Europe a few times and the main cabin seats can be like domestic flights (main airlines) or worse (Norwegian Air shuttle or Ryan Air among others).  The options are obvious, you can book an economy plus seat (Delta calls theirs Comfort Plus) of business or first class.  Whatever you choose, flights will be expensive, unless you have a ton of loyalty miles.

On the port front, we cannot help you as we have been to none of these (you might find some information on TA's with other cruise lines that have stopped at some and posted their thoughts.  As mentioned, tripadvisor (which owns Cruisecritic) might offer good info as well.....  Hope this helps.

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

We are booked on this TA as well, and def looking forward to it. We have flown over to Europe a few times and the main cabin seats can be like domestic flights (main airlines) or worse (Norwegian Air shuttle or Ryan Air among others).  The options are obvious, you can book an economy plus seat (Delta calls theirs Comfort Plus) of business or first class.  Whatever you choose, flights will be expensive, unless you have a ton of loyalty miles.

On the port front, we cannot help you as we have been to none of these (you might find some information on TA's with other cruise lines that have stopped at some and posted their thoughts.  As mentioned, tripadvisor (which owns Cruisecritic) might offer good info as well.....  Hope this helps.

Thank you!

I think if we decide to book this cruise I will have to decide that we are also going to book first class airfare!

2 minutes ago, ecarbine said:

Thank you!

I think if we decide to book this cruise I will have to decide that we are also going to book first class airfare!

If you can afford it, I would def do it, it is not just a bigger seat.....

This past spring I flew on my first overseas flight (Boston to Barcelona).  I actually preferred this flight because it was a larger plane.  If I recall, the way the seats are laid out there are 2 seats next to the window, then the isle, then four (I believe) seats in the middle, then the other isle, and 2 seats on the other side of the plane.  So, I was able to book my husband and I in one of the 2 seats on the side.  Which is soooo much better than being squished in a row with someone else since domestic flights are usually 3 seats on either side of the plane.

I haven't been to these ports, but I also booked the TA and cannot wait!  I've started doing some research on the ports, and they look amazing.  I've never even heard of most of these places!  Anyway, if you book it, we will be sailing together.  Hopefully Cruise Critic will open up the Roll Calls section for the Radiance so we can get our roll call started. :-)

I've been to all of these ports and they are fantastic!  They handle cruise ships very well and you won't have any issues to speak of. 

As far as long distance flights go - I always pick an aisle seat.  I am able to get up and down as needed.  May transatlantic flights are no completely full, and last year on our flight from Seattle to Paris on Delta, a flight attendant moved my husband and me to an empty row of 4 seats before we took off.  I was able to lay completely down and put my feet in my husband's lap. 

Since I do get muscle cramps easily, I've found that the long haul flights go better if I take some ibuprofen about 30 minutes before departure.  I live in Fairbanks, Alaska, and anywhere I go takes forever.  The ibuprofen method has worked out well for me.  I am flying from FAI-SEA-SFO next week and already have my little bottle packed. 

Also, the really long haul flights to Europe or Asia end up just being a blur...  If you are psychologically ready to fly, then it is easier to relax. 

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

One way flights to Europe, especially on legacy carriers, can be pricey when booking direct as they are considered open jaw. Frequently, it can be considerably cheaper to book a roundtrip ticket to Europe instead of the one way.

With that said, take a look at air provided through the cruise line. Princess makes it very simple with transatlantic airfare and prices can even be less than a traditional domestic flight here. Princess also allows you to select the flights you prefer and even make any changes, penalty-free, until 45 days prior to departure.

We fly internationally and the aircraft are generally larger than domestic. The pitch on the seats might be an inch or 2 longer than some domestic carriers. One way first class would be around $4500, $3200 Business class, stretch coach $2300 and coach is about $850, all booked from SLC - Barcelona, as I saw Utah was your home state. Flight time from SLC is 15-20 hours, most of the flights are 2 stops. 

The area is south of Spain and Portugal, Malaga is in Costa Del Sol and beautiful. 

I think a Xanax or Ambien would work a lot better for a red eye than an Ibuprofen. :classic_rolleyes:

We are booked on this cruise as well. As I do not ever get in airplanes, I cannot answer your first question. However, we went to Funchal and Malaga last spring and both were more than capable of handling all the passengers easily.

The Toboggans in Funchal got a little crowded when all the tour busses showed up, but the lines went quickly. We toured a lot of the touristy things, and nothing seemed overly crowded. We were in Malaga twice, and both times seemed “uncrowded”. We did the Hop on Hop off bus once, and it was very easy to get on and off at each stop. The second time we just walked in to the area we wanted to spend the day at. 

Bob

Yes, the flights are normally crowded and the seats are similar to other flights. Luckily this doesn't bother us a great deal. We've been lucky enough to do 4 transatlantic cruises and have been to the ports you mentioned-----all of them were uncrowded and interesting. I'll try to put in a link to one of our cruise "albums" on a different line in 2011, it's the one that has some of the ports (just click on the link and small pictures of the cruise should appear---if you want to see them larger click on a picture, then click the forward arrow to proced through the album). If you remember an old TV show titled THE ATEAM---you'll recall that they were able to get Mr. T onboard planes in innovative ways!                                           OUR 2011 TRANSATLANTIC CRUISE

Edited by chocolate melting cake
  • Like 1

I am booked too and get air one way with a charter company then home from New York on Air Canada. Sometimes if you check a search on Expedia, multiple flights for your whole fares you can find a good price. My US friends often book transatlantic air with Carnival and get good prices.

This will be our 3rd Transatlantic with Carnival, and all have sailed out of Barcelona. 

Depending on the airline, you may be really packed in it just a little packed in. But once you land in beautiful Barcelona and get out into the city you will forget all about your flight.

I suggest spending at least a few days in Barcelona before of the cruise. Its s beautiful city with a lot to see.  Take the Hop On Hop Off bus or even the subway to get around.

We have been to all of the ports except one and none of them had any issues hanging the influx of cruise passengers.

Take the leap. You won't regret it.