Amsterdam OR Basel (Lucerne) - Preference?

renech

Our group of 6 are going on our first river cruise next November, from Amsterdam to Basel on Viking. We initially thought we'd fly into Paris 2 days early then take a train to Amsterdam the day of embarkment.  The more I think about that the more I think with such a short time, I'd rather spend either 2 days pre-cruise in Amsterdam or 2 days post-cruise in Basel or Lucerne. 

I'd love some input from anyone who's been to both (or all 3) on which one they preferred and why. None of us have been to any of them, so it's all new for us. 

Thank you!

• renech changed the title to Amsterdam OR Basel (Lucerne) - Preference?

I would definitely fly in to Amsterdam for 2 days pre-cruise.  So many of our recent flights have been seriously delayed (and our luggage took a different vacation that we did!) that this is our drill for all trips now.  

The idea of flying to Paris and taking a train forgets the French National Sport [= strikes :classic_ohmy:].  

If you have some more time, 2 days post-cruise in Lucerne is also highly recommended.  But if you only have 2 days to play with, use them as an insurance policy so you don't miss the cruise.  [Also, Amsterdam is a really nice city.]

• Like 1

I would always fly in 2 days early. I have also experienced major delays going due to storms,  and luggage delays, etc... It is an awful way to start a vacation especially if you don't fly in early. Though, staying after for the cruise sounds wonderful also.

Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Amsterdam....can you tell I like Amsterdam? 

I visited there for the first time in November, and was blown away.  My TA put together a pre-cruise pkg. for me, and I was on the go constantly.  It's a very easy city to get around in, English is spoken everywhere, and it's like no other city I've visited.  

Roz

In October we did Viking Basel to Amsterdam with a 2 day pre-cruise in Lucerne.  It was our first time in the city and it was phenomenal.  The only drawback is the enormous cost of everything in Switzerland.  We had a day and a half in Amsterdam at the end and although there are lots of things to see in Amsterdam the bicycles are becoming a major problem.  The riders have no concern about pedestrians.  The two cities are totally different and it really depends on what type of thing you want to do.  Several  people who did Basel wished they had done Lucerne.

21 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The idea of flying to Paris and taking a train forgets the French National Sport [= strikes :classic_ohmy:].  

I hadn't thought about the possibility of a train strike. Yikes!  Very good point. Thank you.

9 hours ago, Coral said:

I would always fly in 2 days early. I have also experienced major delays going due to storms,  and luggage delays, etc... It is an awful way to start a vacation especially if you don't fly in early. Though, staying after for the cruise sounds wonderful also.

You know, I almost always go in a day early for Caribbean cruises, not sure why we thought we could pull off a day-of arrival in Amsterdam!  Thanks. 

5 hours ago, Roz said:

Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Amsterdam....can you tell I like Amsterdam? 

I visited there for the first time in November, and was blown away.  My TA put together a pre-cruise pkg. for me, and I was on the go constantly.  It's a very easy city to get around in, English is spoken everywhere, and it's like no other city I've visited.  

Sounds convincing enough for me. 🙂 I've always wanted to visit Amsterdam, but just debating if Lucerne would be the better or the two. I think Amsterdam makes more sense though. Thanks!

4 hours ago, Not a Georgia Peach said:

In October we did Viking Basel to Amsterdam with a 2 day pre-cruise in Lucerne.  It was our first time in the city and it was phenomenal.  The only drawback is the enormous cost of everything in Switzerland.  We had a day and a half in Amsterdam at the end and although there are lots of things to see in Amsterdam the bicycles are becoming a major problem.  The riders have no concern about pedestrians.  The two cities are totally different and it really depends on what type of thing you want to do.  Several  people who did Basel wished they had done Lucerne.

I think we've decided on Amsterdam. I will be sure to warn the others about dodging the bicycles!  Thank you for the input. 🙂

2 hours ago, renech said:

I think we've decided on Amsterdam. I will be sure to warn the others about dodging the bicycles!  Thank you for the input. 🙂

The Dutch bicyclists are sociopaths.  They make the Roman drivers look like pussycats!

• Like 4

I love both and I'm not sure I could choose if we were to do it again. We did 2 nights pre-cruise in Amsterdam and 3 in Lucerne afterward and it was wonderful all around. (Also, count me among those who would never arrive without at least a night beforehand prior to boarding; but on the other hand, I'd never want to fly out immediately afterward either!) 

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:40 PM, Not a Georgia Peach said:

This is our plan for our upcoming Sept 2019 cruise.  Any advice about things to do in Lucerne?  

Thanks in advance-baf

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bafinegan said:

This is our plan for our upcoming Sept 2019 cruise.  Any advice about things to do in Lucerne?  

Thanks in advance-baf

Lucerne is gorgeous!  Not to be missed are the covered bridge, the Lion Monument and really do try to do a mountain excursion and a lake cruise.  We did two, a day on Mt. Titlis because we wanted to see lots of snow.  We also did a day on Mt. Riji which included a lake cruise before catching the train up the mountain.

Dinner at the Old Swiss House is also excellent, particularly if you like schnitzels cooked in butter.  Delicious!

• Like 1

Both cities have a lot to offer, it may depend on which 1 is easier to fly in/out of, for your other travel plans.

Lucerne probably fly into Zurich with easy transfer by frequent train services to Lucerne.

The scenery in Switzerland is spectacular and public transport is so well done, trains/lake cruise/trams all link well.

Amsterdam is unique and worth time, may take a few trips to really appreciate.

Language is no problem in both places, English is widely spoken. hotels in Amsterdam can be expensive at certain times of the year but lots of choices.

Difficult choice.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
22 hours ago, caripoo said:

I would do both if you could.....We just choose to see as much as we can on each trip...before and after

I wish we could! We're traveling with a family group of 6 though, and some schedules just don't allow for more time away. 

We did Basel to Amsterdam in December and did two days pre in Basel and two days post in 
Amsterdam. Enjoyed both but I think we liked Basel better although the Riksmuseum was quiet interesting.  Had a really amazing meal in Amsterdam though and some friend of mine who were there for the world dog show in August had recommended many more things to do than we had time for.

28 minutes ago, renech said:

I wish we could! We're traveling with a family group of 6 though, and some schedules just don't allow for more time away. 

Hopefully you will get back.....based on the time of year, then I would do Amsterdam.....

• Like 1

My feeling is that Amsterdam is such a popular port for both river and ocean cruises that you are likely to return there.  Basel [or even better Lucerne] is much more out of the way, so I would put my focus there.

• Like 1

I have been to all 3 cities. I like Basel, but it will not WOW you (although they have a magnificent cathedral and art museum)!   So Lucerne or Amsterdam would be better.  They are really different places.  If you love art, of course Amsterdam is better due to the Van Goh and national Dutch art museum.  I found the public transport a little difficult to navigate.

Lucerne is grand old city.  It borders on a beautiful lake surrounded by magnificent mountains, and it is an easy train ride to Basel (where the cruise docks).   I love wandering around the city, but you also would want to take a cablecar to the top of Mr Pilatus.  You can return to the train station on a cog railroad.  

• Like 1