Secrets of the Edge

vtcruising

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

The bars of soap are square and don't lather well - they turn mushy. The smell is nice. I don't usually critique the soap, but I miss the Bulgari 🙂 (I think PH, EV and IC receive Bulgari).

I always bring my own bars of soap - I don't like liquid soap dispensers in the bath/shower.

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I always bring my own bars of soap - I don't like liquid soap dispensers in the bath/shower.

3 hours ago, vtcruising said:

We always bring our own soap for the bath/shower.  It was the hand soap by the sink that was mushy. 🙂

That's for clarifying.  I was thinking of the shower – hate body wash.  Will bring my own bar soap.

No Bulgari in the upper suites.  We don’t like body wash either and asked our room attendant for an extra bar of soap for the shower and it was there within the hour.  No need to carry your own unless you have allergy/skin sensitivity.

eden cafe for lunch was a great free alternative and even has outdoor seating.

also don’t miss what I have dubbed the secret garden.  On the opposite outdoor deck from Eden there is a nice covered seating area.

for suite guests, the bar on the sundeck serves lunch off the Luminae menu.  I don’t remember this being advertised anywhere and certainly is convenient.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ATLgirl15 said:

No Bulgari in the upper suites.  We don’t like body wash either and asked our room attendant for an extra bar of soap for the shower and it was there within the hour.  No need to carry your own unless you have allergy/skin sensitivity.

eden cafe for lunch was a great free alternative and even has outdoor seating.

also don’t miss what I have dubbed the secret garden.  On the opposite outdoor deck from Eden there is a nice covered seating area.

for suite guests, the bar on the sundeck serves lunch off the Luminae menu.  I don’t remember this being advertised anywhere and certainly is convenient.

When I toured the IC, EV and PH, I didn't see any Bulgari, but the IC butler told me that is what they would have. Maybe not there yet or they changed their minds?

On 12/4/2018 at 9:28 PM, citruscruiser said:

my secret: Eden Cafe for lunch. They open at noon and there was a line but it thinned out and they had yummy hot and cold sandwiches and salads.  Free!

The cafe in Two70 on Anthem OTS was always a great spot for lunch so I figured the Eden Cafe would be as well. Likely an excellent place to go on embarkation to avoid the craziness in the buffet and wait for cabins to be available.

On 12/4/2018 at 7:38 PM, vtcruising said:

Do you want to know the temperature? Time? Day of the cruise? Check your elevator:

image.thumb.png.7042c017564281256c16d38e5b625072.png

How about the day of the week? Royal always had it on the carpet in the elevator. Celebrity didn't. Sometimes it's nice to know.

1 minute ago, MisterBill99 said:

How about the day of the week? Royal always had it on the carpet in the elevator. Celebrity didn't. Sometimes it's nice to know.

Edge has a Magic Carpet, no need for a carpet calendar...  :classic_laugh:

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

One interesting thing that I didn't get the answer to because I didn't read about it until I got home was the secrets these two women hold.  They live in Cafe al Bacio. I had a hard time getting pictures of them because there are seats below each picture that were almost always filled. Apparently, when you get close there are some hidden surprises.

Australian Alexia Sinclair created these photographs that look like paintings.

We saw this one several weeks ago:

enhance

Her "sister" is pretty interesting too:

enhance

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2018 at 11:43 PM, vtcruising said:

One interesting thing that I didn't get the answer to because I didn't read about it until I got home was the secrets these two women hold.  They live in Cafe al Bacio. I had a hard time getting pictures of them because there are seats below each picture that were almost always filled. Apparently, when you get close there are some hidden surprises.

Australian Alexia Sinclair created these photographs that look like paintings.

We saw this one several weeks ago:

enhance

Her "sister" is pretty interesting too:

enhance

I still couldn't find their secrets? Did anyone else see anything?

Food secrets to discover - if you have lunch at the Eden Cafe they have the world's best super sized chocolate chip cookies and great blueberry-cream filled blueberry muffins.  Don't miss them!  No where else on the ship.  They also have hand-carved roasts for great sandwiches and good soups.  Also my dw is a fan of every-morning greek yogurt - only available in the healthy Spa Cafe & Juice Bar on Deck 14.  They will try to make you a smoothy but just ask for the yogurt in a dish.  The apricot bars there are good too. There is no ice cream at Cafe Al Baccio- you need to go into the right side of the Oceanview.  Limited selection of gelato but you get a free scoop Elite and above.  Don't miss the freshly made pasta bar in the Oceanview.  There is a whole vegetarian section in the Oceanview.  A tip for dining in the restaurants off the Grand Plaza like Fine Cut - ask for an inside table to avoid a very loud dinner from the activities below.  In Fine Cut the bone-in Filet Mignon is superb- but also ask for the Maine half lobster for a really nice surf & turf- don't be shy!

• Like 3

Le Grand Bistro is a wonderful place for breakfast ($10) and lunch ($20). It is set up like a French cafe and the food is excellent. 

6EB54031-5D95-41FB-A3BD-F1C19A836E61.thumb.jpeg.a0859283120dda8d7efea2284f5ced94.jpeg9F259144-86AA-41AB-9B59-1130B6A40A1D.thumb.jpeg.9709b68f0451350214fe337178cc4904.jpeg

The Parisian Eggs Benedict is delicious:

A6F76BD8-663B-4B92-AB35-A5A6A53F27A8.thumb.jpeg.5306d60d38edcc730819413a2f6680d6.jpeg

The croissant sandwich is very good:

4798B748-FC71-45FF-A660-C596B53A3BEB.thumb.jpeg.31c5c72bfcba33232a6a3b66dc9f3d0a.jpeg

They have made to order crepes!

0D0BAD2E-B475-4172-9B4F-0A677ED580FA.thumb.jpeg.390abf7a316878abce76de1fa76bbef6.jpeg

The lobster bisque is superb:

B2F210CE-CC99-46EF-B53E-14926A67E071.thumb.jpeg.276f9ed17fc1cc2804c5bc53314a1781.jpeg

The rack of lamb is awesome:

F9B0123A-4214-4FD7-9FE5-E9B7CF4A59E7.thumb.jpeg.d2acc8f3f0149a845a525ee8e668e928.jpeg

Tips: 

-ask for a window seat

-on sea days get a reservation the day before or that morning - there were many disappointed people on the last sea day of our cruise - this was a best kept secret at the beginning of the cruise and packed by the end of the cruise!

- for lunch, check out the daily specials (they are on the menu) and plan ahead for your favorites.

-ask the sommelier about any wine deals- sometimes they will open a bottle of the really good stuff and you can pay a fairly minimal up charge for a really nice wine.

-Go Hungry!!😀

34923687-80B9-4EC8-93BA-5BD85F4728DD.jpeg

8E1DC57E-99A8-4EC4-806B-40556FE7E820.jpeg

19062E8D-279E-45D4-9D68-524F4DFEACAA.jpeg

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 10:30 AM, vermonter16 said:

Thanks.  Since, I'll be sailing one in a few weeks.  Sheesh.

It's not like people haven't said it in many threads already. It's not a secret.

The IV's have their pluses and minuses.  Having just spent 2 weeks in one, I'm not sure which outweighs the other.

1 hour ago, alexsarasota said:

Just curious...has anyone requested a lounger for the balcony. We are in an aft sky suite with an oversized balcony

Yes, everyone I talked to in a Sky suite in the Jan 20  sailing received a lounger if they asked ( and some received 2 if they asked).

• Like 1