Navigational Map?

ACoupleAtSea

In Nov 2012 the Noordam held a drawing the last day for the chart used for the voyage. To be eligible you had to have turned in your disembarkation information before a certain time.It is a 28x48 map of the Atlantic marked with the route taken and signed by the officers.

Other than that, I don't remember ever hearing a map mentioned.

14 minutes ago, ACoupleAtSea said:

We are in the beginning stages of planning an Alaskan cruise for our 10 year anniversary.  We will probably end up on the Pacific Princess but I would like to sample Holland.  

I was hoping you were going to say that.

Try the NOAA site (http://www.charts.noaa.gov/ChartCatalog/Alaska.html) for downloadable and paper charts. I did a series of their PDFs and taped them together to get a full size chart. I also got Pocket Charts, which were better: smaller, a single piece of paper, printed on water resistant paper, and frameable.  I can’t seem to find Alaska pocket charts now on my iPad but will look later when I get on a real computer.

Having the charts for our cruise really added a lot for us. DH was just talking about it the other night. The number of pax that stopped by to peak was amazing. We were able to identify so many places, including glaciers, we would not have known about. (I had my hand bearing compass too, and that helped. But that’s me and my sense of entertainment :classic_biggrin:). If you are heading out to the pacific after Icy Point or Glacier Bay, check out Taylor’s Inlet to starboard. :classic_smile:

Any "navigational" chart that shows an entire cruise, pretty much regardless of where the cruise is, was not used for navigational purposes, and is only a prop for sale.  Any given cruise will use a multitude of charts, and depending on the length of sea passages, most of them are blank charts with just the course line going across it.  The charts used for navigation would be much larger scale (covers a smaller area) than one that would go from Seattle or Vancouver to Alaska.  Plus, each port has its own even larger scale chart as well.

Hmmmm......  it is looking like the pocket charts format for Alaska might not be current.  Maybe there still is a dealer out there that can print on demand. Our maybe you could ask to be printed on a smaller scale? Being you want to frame, the full size PDF tape up I did probably isn’t what you want. (I had a stack about 2” thick -about 14-when I was done.)

Heres a a nice full size overall of Alaska https://www.nauticalchartsonline.com/chart/detail/50-North-Pacific-Ocean-eastern-part-Bering-Sea-Continuation

Edited by TiogaCruiser

55 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Chief, or anyone else, are paper charts getting harder to find in the electronic age?

Roy

No, in fact they are easier to find in updated form, as chandlers can have large format printers that will print out the most recent version of the chart, relieving the navigator of doing hand updates.  Even with electronic charts (ECDIS), you are required to have a backup system, of which a separate ECDIS system or paper charts are acceptable.  Some countries like France and the Marshall Islands (flag of convenience) require paper charts as the backup means, and the USCG prefers paper charts as backup for US flag ships, and for foreign flag ships with regards to US waters.

• Thanks 1

During the last HAl voyage of the Statendam to Singapore, there was an auction for the voyage's nautical map.  There was also a silent auction for many--not all, I don't think--of the plaques that the ship had received when she first visited a port.

With one minute before the close of that auction, I made a bid on a plaque that I wanted.  And, even then, I was out-bid by a few dollars and time!

I've used this one in Alaska

https://amzn.to/2QEVLwn

And this one - but this one is crazy expensive now!

https://amzn.to/2Qt1UfN

Far and away - this was my favorite map - but its only for trips around Cape Horn.  It had some nice reliefs of different geographic features so when you saw them on the horizon, you could compare to the sketches to determine just where you were.  If you sail around the horn, I highly recommend!

https://amzn.to/2EqWZoW