How does the kids club work for 12 year olds?

amcb

Hello Everyone.

My oldest just turned 12 in October.  We will be sailing for New Years.  He is a VERY big boy for his age, so I’m not sure they will allow him to participate in the 9-11 year old group.  My understanding is that the program for 12 year olds is fairly activity based and not so much a set place where they go and are supervised.  Since he’s not the most mature kid in the world, I have some concerns.  Can anyone give me some additional information about how the program works?  I would appreciate it greatly!!

Thanks in advance,

amcb

12yo go to the teen program, and you're right, it's not as structured.  They can come and go as they please, and activities may change or  not happen at all if attendance is low.  If he doesn't want to participate, there's Xbox games and such, my middle DD sometimes preferred that.  Several times during the cruise they will have teen only events like rock wall, skating and Florida, depending on what your ship has to offer, these are  fu  because there's rarely much of a wait .  One thing I highly suggest is to be sure he goes the first night, they do a bunch of icebreaker games, and often friends are made that first night that continue thru the week.  

6 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I doubt he’d be allowed to move down during such a kid heavy week.

I was afraid of that.  Plus, he’s so big, I don’t think they’d want him with the 9-11 year olds.  Even this summer, when he was still only 11, they were very skeptical because it seemed like he should be in the teen club. 

Cbatsea, I didn’t think the counselors would move him down, it’s more of a parental concern.  Even this past summer we didn’t think he was ready to be a self-signer.  This is a whole different level! 🙂 

I was concerned about my daughter when we went on the Allure when she was only 12, but everything went well.  Because they can come and go we set up rules about what she could and could not do.  She was also required to check in with us every few hours.  Like earlier poster said, make sure he goes to the teen club the first night to meet others.  For my daughter, the club is more of place to meet up before heading to the pool or other places on the ship.

5 hours ago, amcb said:

Hello Everyone.

My oldest just turned 12 in October.  We will be sailing for New Years.  He is a VERY big boy for his age, so I’m not sure they will allow him to participate in the 9-11 year old group.  My understanding is that the program for 12 year olds is fairly activity based and not so much a set place where they go and are supervised.  Since he’s not the most mature kid in the world, I have some concerns.  Can anyone give me some additional information about how the program works?  I would appreciate it greatly!!

Thanks in advance,

amcb

We were on the Anthem when my DS had turned 12 a few days before we sailed. I was one of those parents who didn’t allow my 11 year old to sign himself out. I liked knowing exactly where he was. He’s an only child. So, that first time in the teen club was huge. My DS loved it! He went the first night and meet many new friends. It is very important to go the first night. Also,  your child goes in alone, no need for a parent to go in and sign them up.  Apparently that’s not cool ; )  Be sure he has his sail and sign card. My DS has a phone so he would let me know if he left the teen room and went somewhere else. When they did scavenger hunts he needed to be with another person. We have been on the Anthem several times since then and they do a lot of activities in the Living Room (teen room) and Seaplex. I was surprised how many teens stayed and participated. 

What ship are you sailing on?

4everAfamily, we will be on Allure for the New Year’s cruise.  I will make sure he goes to the first night event so he can meet some of the other kids.  I’m still quite uncertain about allowing him to be off on his own.  Because he’s such a big kid, people think he’s quite a bit older than he is, and expect him to behave accordingly.  But he’s young for his age in terms of maturity, so I definitely have some concerns.  I guess we’ll just play it by ear.

Pmmaurer, is your daughter very social? Did she have any difficulty making friends?

And thanks so much for your replies!

57 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Does he really need to go to the organized programs?

Most kids start to migrate away from that stuff around that age or younger and do their own thing instead.

He doesn’t need to go, but if his dad and I would like to have a date night, I don’t like the idea of leaving him unsupervised just wandering the ship.  He has really enjoyed the kids club up till now, and both his younger sisters will be participating. I suspect we’ll check out the 12-13 year old activities, encourage him to participate and just keep very close tabs on where he will be at different times.

3 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Most kids start to migrate away from that stuff around that age or younger and do their own thing instead.

Most kids? My kids liked the younger clubs, hated the tween clubs, and loved the teen clubs. All 5 are ridiculously social, and after the first night, we rarely saw them again. They’d roam the ship, but also participated in some of the activities, and would spend time in the actual club, even if just to meet up and plan. On our last cruise, ds20 and dd22 found others to hang around with, but it was more work then the teen club.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, amcb said:

4everAfamily, we will be on Allure for the New Year’s cruise.  I will make sure he goes to the first night event so he can meet some of the other kids.  I’m still quite uncertain about allowing him to be off on his own.  Because he’s such a big kid, people think he’s quite a bit older than he is, and expect him to behave accordingly.  But he’s young for his age in terms of maturity, so I definitely have some concerns.  I guess we’ll just play it by ear.

Pmmaurer, is your daughter very social? Did she have any difficulty making friends?

And thanks so much for your replies!

She is pretty outgoing but she struggles to make friends at school though she seems not to have a problem on the cruise or at summer camp   She 17 now and will turn 18 the day we get off our next cruise she's not happy about not being 18 on the cruise but mom is happy that she can go to the Teen area and not have to worry about making friends elsewhere on the ship

9 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Not fact... Clearly you don’t have kids or not social ones! My four have made friendships over the years that continue today many years later from all corners of the earth. Yes some may be shy or not enjoy certain events which is the beauty of having choices with the teen club.

I notice you are always negative... So much wasted energy!

My advice is to send your child if they want to try it. They will quickly let you know their thoughts on the program and comfort level.

Yes I have kids  who are now 14-17 and they have been on over 22 cruises each.

They did participate in organized activities until about 11 -12.

When they didn't want to go anymore, we didn't really make them.

Then they found others to hang out with outside of the Ocean Adventure program.  

Because I have a different point of view(which is usually the correct one) does not mean I  am negative..

Somebody needs to tell it like it is...…...

1 hour ago, matj2000 said:

Because I have a different point of view(which is usually the correct one for me and my family not necessarily any other poster) does not mean I  am negative..

One update to your post above, added as if you were writing it. 

Since each family, and each child is different, it's great to share your experiences so others can see how their kids may react.  It's a totally different thing to tell people what their kids will or will not do, that's where the perceived negativity comes from.

Personally I had kids on both ends of the spectrum, one that stopped going to the kids/teens clubs at 14 while the other went right up until the cruise he turned 18 on.  Neither was right or wrong just different kids who enjoy life in different ways. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Because I have a different point of view(which is usually the correct one) does not mean I  am negative..

Everyone has different points of view, but when you use the word “most” when you are only referencing your own kids is not correct. Reading these boards, it appears the majority of teens make use of the clubs.

On Allure the two times I sailed with my son, his wife and my granddaughter, she was in the 12-14 age group.  These kids were in the same room etc. as the 15-17 year olds.  My granddaughter had just turned 12 a few weeks before the cruise and felt a bit uncomfortable being with the older kids in that she had been used to the structure of the 9-11 year olds during her previous cruise.

I know there are some activities that are scheduled for each group, for example, there was an ice skating session for the 12-14 year olds and then a different one for the 15-17 year olds.  There was also a basketball game for the 15-17 year olds.  

I, personally, think there is a great deal of difference in maturity between a 12 and 17 year old.  It seemed the older kids hung out in packs around the ship doing whatever they wanted to do.  I don't mean getting into trouble, just hanging out near elevators and walking around, getting pizza etc.

It was pretty much the same for her 13 year old cruise.  I think she was more used to the situation, but only went to a few activities and mostly hung out with the family, which was fine with us.  I am interested in seeing how it will be this summer when she turns 14.

My experience with the teen club isn't positive.  My then 12 year old was intimidated by the older kids.  She went first night, freaked out and then never went back.  She also did not care for the activities starting so late.  She was in bed by 10/11.  So flash forward to her being 14 and in July 2019 we have a cruise.  DH and I want some adult time so I suggest that my daughter try out the 12-14 club.  She's already complaining!  It doesn't help that her little sister will be 12 then and can be in the same group. 

At least we have a balcony and I told her she can read her books in the stateroom if she's not interested in the teen club.  She actually enjoys the trivia games, shows and hanging out with her parents!

So yes, each family does have their own experiences and views.  We just have to figure out what that best is.

I will try to send both girls to teens club that first night and see what happens. I hope that all 4 of us can carve out time that we enjoy together and by ourselves.