Do You See Your Loyalty Benefits Slowly Slipping Away?

Ramjet1997

On 12/12/2018 at 8:01 PM, Ramjet1997 said:

We recently returned from an 8 night cruise on Adventure (Nov 24-Dec 2) which started off very badly in the so-called Diamond Lounge....as some of you know the lounge only seats maybe 90-100 people.  I am sure that anyone who experienced the following story can confirm the events.  Add to the fact that the same regulars started reserving their seats about an hour before the happy hour actually begins.....so the lounge seats are basically spoken for before it even opens.  These people (similar to pool chair hogs) made sure that all of the lounge was "taken" before the 4:30 opening time.  The "overflow" was of course the Viking Crown lounge to handle the other 150-250 people who showed up at the starting hour-4:30.  Around 4:45 a RCCL "group coordinator" closed off 80-90% of the VCL for a "private party"- he literally went from table to table and told C&A people to leave the overflow area because there was a "private party".  Almost immediately loud obnoxious ethnic music was blaring through the speakers for this private group, without any regard for the C & A Diamond & Diamond Plus members in attendance.  It was obvious that the LOYAL C & A members were no longer welcomed, except for maybe 6 or 7 small tables by the bar.  This episode put many C & A members in their place real quick, and many simply left without saying a word.

The reason I bring this up is the recent announcement concerning the "for a fee, the KEY" program.  I noticed that at least 3 of the Key benefits listed were items which had previously been included in your "Diamond Plus" benefits:

1.  Priority Boarding (thought we already had this)

2.  Reserved seating at shows (thought we already had this)

3.  Priority Debarkation (thought we already had this)

And the "complimentary internet" is NOT complimentary if you are paying $25 per person for "the Key"!!

It has become clear to me, and many others on this particular sailing, that loyalty to Royal Caribbean no longer means anything.....the benefits that come with being a "Loyal to Royal" are being slowly diluted....Only if you spend MORE MONEY and BUY your way into the benefits which were promised to many folks years ago.  I am sure that shareholders and people who buy "skip the line" tickets at amusement parks will applaud this never ending money grab.  While we have several upcoming cruises with RCCL, it is fairly obvious that slowly but surely they are taking away your loyalty earned benefits, one by one.  Unless, of course, you want to pay more.....and more.....and more.....and more......The future will tell if the smart loyal members of C & A will continue to support RCCL, or look elsewhere..........

Loyal to Royal is a joke. I pledge no loyalty to any cruise line. Only thing I pledge loyalty is to my wallet. If I can get a balcony cabin on a nice ship with a good itinerary and it just happens to be with the competition, then I sail with that cruise line. Win win for me.

6 minutes ago, El Abuelo said:

4 minutes ago, Mixyestspitlik said:

Loyal to Royal is a joke. I pledge no loyalty to any cruise line. Only thing I pledge loyalty is to my wallet. If I can get a balcony cabin on a nice ship with a good itinerary and it just happens to be with the competition, then I sail with that cruise line. Win win for me.

That's where I stand. On all of these cruise boards there is some top tier member complaining about the watered down benefits that they are entitled to. The only real difference I see between all of the lines is the demographic. Some are better geared for families and some are geared towards an older crowd. Service and food are on par across the board.

One could argue that benefits were watered down when they started selling drink packages. Maybe the people getting “free” drinks in the diamond plus class felt the same way when people could buy a package for unlimited drinks.  Food for thought.

Since I am only platinum, I haven’t experienced any of these issues.  I have to say that it almost sounds stressful for some  in the higher tiers of loyalty, trying to compare and protect their perks.  Some seem to stress about it, which doesn’t make the status of D plus look that great.  I’m wondering if the simple life of gold and platinum has less to worry about.  

On 12/13/2018 at 3:47 PM, John&LaLa said:

Serious inquiry. 

If I get an upsell to Sky Class, should I be allowed in the CK/SL?

If i get a free upgrade to a GS should i receive suite benefits?

Should a Sea Class guest with a legitimate reservation be moved from their window seat because a Sky Class guest requests that table?

Should a Sea Class guest ever be sat at a window table?

Question 1,2,&4 YES.  NO to Q3. 

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Probably has more to do with the cruise fare.  Oasis seems to be cheaper than Harmony. 

Partially, but all cabins cheap this coming week.  Many upper tier seem to dislike Harmony layout. Especially D+

15 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Partially, but all cabins cheap this coming week.  Many upper tier seem to dislike Harmony layout. Especially D+

What is it about the layout that they don't like?  Are you referring specifically to SL/CK? Or lack of pool in Solarium? Or D lounge on 4?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andy C said:

What is it about the layout that they don't like?  Are you referring specifically to SL/CK? Or lack of pool in Solarium? Or D lounge on 4?

The Diamond Lounge on Oasis and Allure is the two story area where Wonderland resides on Harmony and Symphony.  On Harmony and Symphony, the DL is much smaller and without windows I think on Deck 4. 

Most guess Oasis and Allure will move the DL and make them similar to Harmony/Symphony.  

40 minutes ago, Andy C said:

SL/CK is probably fine, DL on 4 is a downer plus the Abyss and water slides.

I fail to see the connection, but obviously, another group having a good time bothered you. 

I still get my benefits for D+, I don't see others paying for what I get for free as being diluted at all.  

The fact that not too long ago there were no Diamond Clubs or 3 vouchers' drinks indicate to me an increase in benefits.  Diamonds used to only get free beer and wine, and only 25% off another cocktail.  Plus you could not take one to go.

BTW, overcrowding is not always an issue.  I'm on Serenade and the Concierge club has been half full every night.

32 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

I fail to see the connection, but obviously, another group having a good time bothered you. 

I still get my benefits for D+, I don't see others paying for what I get for free as being diluted at all.  

The fact that not too long ago there were no Diamond Clubs or 3 vouchers' drinks indicate to me an increase in benefits.  Diamonds used to only get free beer and wine, and only 25% off another cocktail.  Plus you could not take one to go.

BTW, overcrowding is not always an issue.  I'm on Serenade and the Concierge club has been half full every night.

I agree.  The benefits have been greatly improved since they started with the different loyalty levels.  I remember well the original Daily Diamond Events with beer, wine, peanuts, and 25% off cocktails.  We now have the full array of appetizers and a variety of mixed drinks.  

Also, our welcome aboard, amenity, and bonus gifts keep my husband in Diet Coke for the whole cruise.  

On 12/13/2018 at 1:06 PM, Sunkissed Mommy said:

I am Diamond and was given group 58 out of 59 for getting off the ship.  Not exactly priority debarkation.  In the past I have usually been given a single-digit group. 

It's all a matter of perspective. I would be more than happy with group 59 because I don't usually fly out until later. I prefer to sleep in a bit, and enjoy the benefits of being on the ship a little bit longer.