Local Time vs. Ship Time a lesson learned

Mak7464

On 12/19/2018 at 2:31 PM, Ogtubbx3 said:

I am taking my first cruise in one month on Allure. Going to Nassau, Cozumel, costa maya, and Roatan. This post is the first I’ve seen of anything regarding time changes... I had not idea this was something to pay attention to. Is there somewhere I can read about this for RCCL ships so I know what I have to know for the stops?

We just got off the Allure last week with the same itinerary.  Roatan was the only stop that has a time zone difference (they are in the Central time zone).  I was not able to get a clear answer prior to the cruise whether the itinerary was referring to ship time or local time, but was told by the Guest Services Supervisor on the ship that they always go by ship time (I don't trust this is consistent though). 

Just to give you a heads up, the itinerary times that we had prior to the cruise were different than what they actually were once we set sail. We were originally scheduled to arrive in Nassau at 7am, but found out the night before that it would be 8am.  We missed our excursion due to this. 

And, I was assured by Guest Services 3 times while on the ship that the Roatan arrival time would be 8am Eastern, but we learned the night before that stop that it would be 9am Eastern.  Our Roatan excursion was also messed up due to this.  You don't really get anything official until you get the Cruise Compass the evening prior to a port stop.  I was told by one of the tour operators that cruise lines are notorious for being vague about port times to make it difficult to go with an outside vendor. 

I've only had a problem one time with ship time and local excursions and that was in st martin. It was around fall daylight savings time and soualiga tours was giving me a hard time pre cruise because I didn't know what the captains decision would be re time change. I remember he wanted me to call Miami. I still have the email. The point is do not assume all tours know what the ship time is. Captain Bob was actually the only tour guide who was giving me a hard time about this. I look at the clock on the tv and the hall and set my phone when on ship.

I would check that your excursion operator understands that ship time may be different that port time.  And WILL make adjustments to their schedule to deal with the difference, if any.

Also, it seems from some postings, that some excursion operators do not or will not deal with changes in itinerary, such as earlier departure for some reason.

Easy answer, don't book with those operators. They will either learn to deal with this or go out of business.

5 hours ago, michelleandpaul said:

We just got off the Allure last week with the same itinerary.  Roatan was the only stop that has a time zone difference (they are in the Central time zone).  I was not able to get a clear answer prior to the cruise whether the itinerary was referring to ship time or local time, but was told by the Guest Services Supervisor on the ship that they always go by ship time (I don't trust this is consistent though). 

Just to give you a heads up, the itinerary times that we had prior to the cruise were different than what they actually were once we set sail. We were originally scheduled to arrive in Nassau at 7am, but found out the night before that it would be 8am.  We missed our excursion due to this. 

And, I was assured by Guest Services 3 times while on the ship that the Roatan arrival time would be 8am Eastern, but we learned the night before that stop that it would be 9am Eastern.  Our Roatan excursion was also messed up due to this.  You don't really get anything official until you get the Cruise Compass the evening prior to a port stop.  I was told by one of the tour operators that cruise lines are notorious for being vague about port times to make it difficult to go with an outside vendor. 

Thank you for this! I will keep this in mind, I am trying to plan either excursions that have a little buffer room or beach break days that last all day and you can just get there at your leisure.

5 hours ago, michelleandpaul said:

I was not able to get a clear answer prior to the cruise whether the itinerary was referring to ship time or local time, but was told by the Guest Services Supervisor on the ship that they always go by ship time (I don't trust this is consistent though). 

The ship will ALWAYS go by ship time.  The question is whether they change ship time to match local time.  

I'm surprised tour operators don't know what time a ship is arriving.  Barring a mechanical or medical issue, shouldn't the ship show up at the same time (relative to how you're keeping track)? 

On 12/18/2018 at 3:18 PM, JohninDC said:

In Cozumel we love to watch pier runners who relied on their cell phones and are trying to catch the ship as it pulls away. :classic_tongue:

Yeah, other people's misfortune is a great source of entertainment....🙄

• Like 2

On 12/20/2018 at 2:52 PM, Homosassa said:

If one travels on a cruise line where the line attracts well traveled passengers, the ship will always be on local time in port as the passengers understand the concept of time zones and changes.

It is only on the cruise lines where the passenger base is often less experience with travel outside their little corner of the world or just seem to travel on a line that is "just like home," that the ship will always try to stay on home port time.

Your theory or some source to back this up? RCI does it both ways so they must be somewhat confused about their passenger base.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Any time changes will be noted in the Compass.

There are clocks at EVERY ship exit.  Make sure your WATCH is set to the same time as the ship's!  As stated, your cell phone will give you local time...so it's best not to rely on that!  Bring a watch and wear it or take it ashore!