Internet- elite discount

macaroni

Guess I am the weird one.  We have been cruising for a long time (mid-70s) and remember when there was no Internet, nobody made phone calls aboard which cost about $9.00 a minute, etc.  When we got to port some folks ran for phone booths :).  Now we are all used to having the Internet but DW and I have always done quite fine using our Elite (now Elite +) minutes.  We do not need to browse the web on sea days and simply get our e-mails once or twice a day.  Usually we come home from our  longer cruises with unused minutes.  If we want to browse or spend time on the phone we do it when within range of the port cells (we have T-Mobile).  Our norm on ships is to lock our phones in the cabin safe as soon as the ship sails and we enjoy our "holiday" from all the time Internet.

Hank

It was explained to me by Captain’s Club rep that Surf was not throttled Internet but more “restricted” internet. Certain websites are denied access like the streaming sites. Also the rep said social media-type sites are restricted. But chat sites are allowed as are texting and email. 

I would still like to hear from someone who has actually used Surf to verify this information. 

4 hours ago, LorraineP said:

Would also like to hear from someone that purchased it. When I called to purchase I was told I couldn’t text & that I would have to go through some app. 

Do you have WiFi calling on your smart phone?  (No need for an app then.)  When you are connected to the internet via the ship's WiFi, you can call and text on your phone via WiFi calling.  You are then using WiFi instead of cellular data.   (Set it up before you leave home.  Easy to do.  See your wireless carrier's web site.)

11 hours ago, Blue_Flame said:

It was explained to me by Captain’s Club rep that Surf was not throttled Internet but more “restricted” internet. Certain websites are denied access like the streaming sites. Also the rep said social media-type sites are restricted. But chat sites are allowed as are texting and email. 

I would still like to hear from someone who has actually used Surf to verify this information. 

I purchase the surf package one device pack with Select CC discount during my past Silhouette cruise,  I used a iPhone Xs switched with my DW iPhone 5s or with the iMacs in the iLounge. Whatsapp: only text, No photos or videos. FB: I can upload photos, no videos. email: (Yahoo) I can attach photos. Web sites: very little use only the essential and all good without restrictions. NO WiFi calls.

Edited by gerelmx

13 hours ago, gerelmx said:

I purchase the surf package one device pack with Select CC discount during my past Silhouette cruise,  I used a iPhone Xs switched with my DW iPhone 5s or with the iMacs in the iLounge. Whatsapp: only text, No photos or videos. FB: I can upload photos, no videos. email: (Yahoo) I can attach photos. Web sites: very little use only the essential and all good without restrictions. NO WiFi calls.

But were you able to do iMessaging (the “blue” texting) with the Surf Package? 

Thanks for your info so far!

On 5/18/2019 at 4:37 PM, little britain said:

So if we use 1 persons 90 mins and then, say on day 3 of the cruise the 2nd person goes to purchase the package they will apply the 30% off the current package cost; and I assume that the package drops by $$ a day so on day 3 the cost will be lower than on day 1?

Bump: can anyone advise on this one please?

This is how we work it on RCI. 

Thanks

On 5/18/2019 at 5:54 PM, LorraineP said:

Not sure actually what I can do with surf?  Can I text, email or download something in my email, can you shop on line (which I wouldn’t do) but curious?  No interest in watching movies. 

You are correct with the functionality of the Surf package.

8 hours ago, little britain said:

Thanks

I don't believe this to be correct.   I've seen on a 14 day cruise where they discounted to 50% at mid-way point of the cruise but it was 7 days regardless of what day you signed up.    I believe that if you were on a 7 day cruise and subscribed to the internet on day 3 you would be charged for the full 7.    Others may have had a different experience.

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I don't believe this to be correct.   I've seen on a 14 day cruise where they discounted to 50% at mid-way point of the cruise but it was 7 days regardless of what day you signed up.    I believe that if you were on a 7 day cruise and subscribed to the internet on day 3 you would be charged for the full 7.    Others may have had a different experience.

On RCI I can log on at 5 minutes past midnight and the price for the remaining package for the cruise will have dropped by $xx exactly each day......

30 minutes ago, little britain said:

On RCI I can log on at 5 minutes past midnight and the price for the remaining package for the cruise will have dropped by $xx exactly each day......

Interesting to hear but does it work the same on Celebrity.   

14 hours ago, little britain said:

Thanks

I was advised by the ILounge attendant on our 7-day cruise last month that there was no pro-rating of the unlimited Internet packages, even if the person's free Captain's Club minutes had not been used.

As sometimes happens with Celebrity, you might find a different answer at another time on another ship. I would ask on Day 1 of the cruise if they would pro-rate later in the cruise if they could see you didn't use the free minutes and then make your decision on when to purchase. Maybe one could use both of the traveler's free minutes and later in the week just purchase a day or two of unlimited internet at the single day price.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Interesting to hear but does it work the same on Celebrity.   

Wow! Very interesting.

Thanks for confirming. I have decided I can use my providers £4.99 data roaming for the days we are in port and then use our 90mins x2 to eek out to cover the 3 days we are at sea.

This seems considerably cheaper than the £207 they are charging for the 11n cruise! 

Thanks again. 

On 5/19/2019 at 9:48 AM, gerelmx said:

Hi, please can you tell me if with the Surf package you were able to use the Facebook app or other apps in your phone? and if you were able to post your pictures on Facebook and see the pictures in there from your friends. Thanks!

4 hours ago, New Yorker in Texas said:

Hi, please can you tell me if with the Surf package you were able to use the Facebook app or other apps in your phone? and if you were able to post your pictures on Facebook and see the pictures in there from your friends. Thanks!

FB on my iPhone works ok only you can not see  or post videos, photos is ok

Edited by gerelmx

• 1 month later...