Insignia world cruise 2020 rates

tomservo

What are the rates for this cruise? Specifically for a balcony, although I’m curious what other cabins cost as well (I know they start in the high 30’s, but that must be for inside cabins). 

I’m many years away from being able to do one, but just wanted to get an idea of the price without having to get an actual quote from a TA. 

i didn't mention TAs because apparently there are people here who don't use one but you're right-- the $ is lovely!  

For us, ATW20 is less expensive because of the # of "free shorex" offered--we paid for all of ours and the total quoted price for ATW16 and ATW20 is approximately the same for our cabin choice.

2 hours ago, cbb said:

be sure and notice the "freebies" that come with ATW--medical, gratuities, laundry, etc.    For some people that free medical was wonderful. 

If you have trip insurance it will reimburse you for the ship"s Doc-even if not free!!!

17 minutes ago, KruiserKat said:

If you have trip insurance it will reimburse you for the ship"s Doc-even if not free!!!

I would guesstimate that that statement is untrue for 95% of,  pardon the pun, "real World scenarios"-

Read your terms and conditions extremely carefully ...

11 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

I would guesstimate that that statement is untrue for 95% of,  pardon the pun, "real World scenarios"-

Read your terms and conditions extremely carefully ...

Could you please cite problem with my statement. I've always claimed and received payment  when Doc is not covered!

1 hour ago, KruiserKat said:

Could you please cite problem with my statement. I've always claimed and received payment  when Doc is not covered!

Again, I would encourage you to read the terms and conditions of the policies which you buy, but most that I have been offered give the Insurance company the choice of where the patient will be treated.  There are some circumstances where that would make the ship's doctor the only game in town, but you just can't count on that.

2 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

Again, I would encourage you to read the terms and conditions of the policies which you buy, but most that I have been offered give the Insurance company the choice of where the patient will be treated.  There are some circumstances where that would make the ship's doctor the only game in town, but you just can't count on that.

Any services performed by the ship would be the primary treatment. If evacuation to a hospital is required, that would also be reimbursable, but in no event would the on board treatment (not drugs) be denied. I suggest you review your plan and perhaps choose one which does not exclude ship treatment! By the way, which plan do you use that excludes treatment by the ships Doc?

1 hour ago, KruiserKat said:

Any services performed by the ship would be the primary treatment. If evacuation to a hospital is required, that would also be reimbursable, but in no event would the on board treatment (not drugs) be denied. I suggest you review your plan and perhaps choose one which does not exclude ship treatment! By the way, which plan do you use that excludes treatment by the ships Doc?

Sorry but, if you are a US resident, I think it's you who needs to read the T&Cs of both your regular health insurance and any optional travel medical insurance you may purchase. This includes any Medicare supplement that converts to the company's "basic" (or similarly named) plan whenever you travel abroad. 

The key phrase that many (if not most) of these plans use when referring to covered treatment outside of the United States is "critical or emergency care" (i.e., NO unnecessary nor elective procedures). Your perusal of those T&Cs may also find the term "normal and reasonable charges." And don't get me started on the often misunderstood insurance label called "preexisting conditions," a waiver of which may or may not be included in your travel policy.

That said, and while a ship's doctor should/would not turn you away from a request for anything within his/her reasonable scope of practice, insurance companies use that CYA language for all of the obvious reasons. So, technically, there always does exist the possibility that your regular health insurance or supplemental travel medical insurance carrier could deny a claim for treatment by a ship's doctor, the purpose of which was deemed to be not critical or emergency care.

You also mentioned the magic word "evacuation." Again, your regular health insurance, if it covers critical/emergency care abroad, will pay the normal and reasonable charges for an air ambulance (deemed necessary by ship AND CG medical personnel) from the "emergency" ship setting to the emergency shore side setting where first intensive/acute care may progress. What many folks, don't realize is that the "coast guards" of most developed countries do not charge anything for a medically necessary emergency transfer to a shoreside facility of its choosing. OTOH, "evacuation" is a transfer from that first shoreside emergency facility to an appropriate secondary acute care facility (e.g., home to the U.S.) and few, if any, regular medical policies cover this when you're traveling internationally. That's one of the reasons it's important to have travel medical insurance with adequate evacuation limits and, in the ideal world, inclusion of those all important words: "to a facility of YOUR choice." 

BTW, let's never forget the importance of those PEC waivers!

But, I digress.

The true positive of Oceania's onboard medical perk for RTW cruisers is that, for critical care/emergency (and perhaps some occasional "hand holding") treatment onboard, there is no charge, which translates to no co-pays, no deductibles, no up front payments, no claim forms, no primary/secondary insurers, etc. And when you are away from home for many months at a time, that "one less thing to worry about" can be a true value.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Sorry but, if you are a US resident, I think it's you who needs to read the T&Cs of both your regular health insurance and any optional travel medical insurance you may purchase. This includes any Medicare supplement that converts to the company's "basic" (or similarly named) plan whenever you travel abroad. 

The key phrase that many (if not most) of these plans use when referring to covered treatment outside of the United States is "critical or emergency care" (i.e., NO unnecessary nor elective procedures). Your perusal of those T&Cs may also find the term "normal and reasonable charges." And don't get me started on the often misunderstood insurance label called "preexisting conditions," a waiver of which may or may not be included in your travel policy.

That said, and while a ship's doctor should/would not turn you away from a request for anything within his/her reasonable scope of practice, insurance companies use that CYA language for all of the obvious reasons. So, technically, there always does exist the possibility that your regular health insurance or supplemental travel medical insurance carrier could deny a claim for treatment by a ship's doctor, the purpose of which was deemed to be not critical or emergency care.

You also mentioned the magic word "evacuation." Again, your regular health insurance, if it covers critical/emergency care abroad, will pay the normal and reasonable charges for an air ambulance (deemed necessary by ship AND CG medical personnel) from the "emergency" ship setting to the emergency shore side setting where first intensive/acute care may progress. What many folks, don't realize is that the "coast guards" of most developed countries do not charge anything for a medically necessary emergency transfer to a shoreside facility of its choosing. OTOH, "evacuation" is a transfer from that first shoreside emergency facility to an appropriate secondary acute care facility (e.g., home to the U.S.) and few, if any, regular medical policies cover this when you're traveling internationally. That's one of the reasons it's important to have travel medical insurance with adequate evacuation limits and, in the ideal world, inclusion of those all important words: "to a facility of YOUR choice." 

BTW, let's never forget the importance of those PEC waivers!

But, I digress.

The true positive of Oceania's onboard medical perk for RTW cruisers is that, for critical care/emergency (and perhaps some occasional "hand holding") treatment onboard, there is no charge, which translates to no co-pays, no deductibles, no up front payments, no claim forms, no primary/secondary insurers, etc. And when you are away from home for many months at a time, that "one less thing to worry about" can be a true value.

When you cite the benefit of the Oceania Plan is to cut red tape-of course I agree!! It makes life a lot simpler. But unfortunately not all lines have this plan. In that case you may have to bill your regular and secondary insurers to get denials which must then be forwarded to your travel insurance. They will then pay the ships Doc along with any other claims as specified by the insurer. But the bottom line is they WILL pay (unless the claim is totally arbitrary and capricious) for any emergency/critical treatment. This was my only point as I specified earlier. If people go to the ships Doc for elective procedures-lots of luck! Having been in the medical field I doubt that 95% of the cases fall into that category!!!

this discussion of medical insurance and patient issues is what makes cruisecritic so great. 

thanks to all involved in this discussion re: trip insurance.  

from experience let me encourage all US patients to apply for refunds from Medicare immediately upon return home.  Obviously, Medicare will reject your request because you were out of country, but in my case, the trip insurance people, while sympathetic, could not proceed until they had that formal rejection letter. 

Once they had it the company moved swiftly and refunded my entire HUGE bill from my Regatta doc visits.

If the original poster is still following this thread...

I just wanted to mention that I booked the 2019 a year ahead.  It was already 'sold out' at the time, by I put a deposit down on the wait list, and when final payment was due, six months before sailing, I cleared the wait list.   I also wanted to mention that the fare never dropped, in fact it rose about a thousand per passenger a few months ago.   There were occasional cancellation's, that were quickly resold.   And solo's get no break, and pay the full price for two.

Just things to consider...

4 hours ago, cbb said:

this discussion of medical insurance and patient issues is what makes cruisecritic so great. 

thanks to all involved in this discussion re: trip insurance.  

from experience let me encourage all US patients to apply for refunds from Medicare immediately upon return home.  Obviously, Medicare will reject your request because you were out of country, but in my case, the trip insurance people, while sympathetic, could not proceed until they had that formal rejection letter. 

Once they had it the company moved swiftly and refunded my entire HUGE bill from my Regatta doc visits.

With the understanding that extra long/expensive cruises and the always advisable PEC waivers will significantly limit insurer/policy options, it's worth saving some possible future paperwork hassle by selecting travel insurers who are primary payers. But, even in that case, states like California require "coordination of benefits." So, you end up needing to file a claim with the primary and then send their EOB (payment and/or denial) to the secondary insurer even if you know you've got nothing coming back.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Just curious

Since Oceania states medical care onboard is included  for the RTW cruise  do people actually submit the cost of the care to their Insurance??

I can understand it if you actually paid for the medical service  out of your own pocket

10 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Just curious

Since Oceania states medical care onboard is included  for the RTW cruise  do people actually submit the cost of the care to their Insurance??

I can understand it if you actually paid for the medical service  out of your own pocket

Lyn,  don't see how people could submit to their insurance if the costs are included there would be no bills to submit.and would need to attach a bill to any insurance submittal.

1 hour ago, cbb said:

in my situation, it was not an ATW but a month long cruise in which i incurred a significant bill.  That's why I said that the "free" medical was such a great benefit for ATW people.

exactly my point

some  of the above posts are talking about claiming the medical charges

If you are paying then YES submit it

If you are getting it free  how can you claim it ?

DH had a visit to the doctor onboard   the OBC took care of it so I did not bother submitting it to our medical insurance  provider  as they wanted  proof of our paying the bill

It was  a small charge  so not really worth the hassle for us ..but that is just me

Please note the price quoted in post 2 for  balcony is Canadian price.  I'm booked on the 2020 cruise and the exchange rate added to the US price was 27.7%.  US starting price for a balcony is about $59,000 ppr - the inclusions are worth thousand per passenger.

26 minutes ago, Waynetor said:

Please note the price quoted in post 2 for  balcony is Canadian price.  I'm booked on the 2020 cruise and the exchange rate added to the US price was 27.7%.  US starting price for a balcony is about $59,000 ppr - the inclusions are worth thousand per passenger.

Thanks Wayne

forgot I get routed to the CAD prices :classic_blush:

23 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Thanks, I did see that afterwards (I hadn’t scrolled down far enough).

Has anyone here actually done one of these? Also how often can you dine in the specialty restaurants with a cruise of this length?

Edited by tomservo
Missed Waynetor’s post about CAD

waynetor and I have done ATWs.  One can often dine in the specialty restaurants simply by checking at Terrace 1st thing in the morning and again at lunch to see what is available. 

we were trying to remember how many we got.  Dave thinks over 15 at each but we certainly didn't go that many times....perhaps Wayne remembers...or one of the other worldies that post here.  One couple I think ate at Polo once a week.

17 minutes ago, tomservo said:

Thanks, I did see that afterwards (I hadn’t scrolled down far enough).

Has anyone here actually done one of these? Also how often can you dine in the specialty restaurants with a cruise of this length?

Have only done multi-segments of the world cruise (most recently Sydney-Papeete-L.A. in 2018) but I can tell you that, as long as there's availability and you're flexible regarding time and sharing, there's no limit to how many times you can eat in the specialties (and never an extra cost). 

Sometimes I wish we didn't have so many family/friends/community commitments since they pretty much make doing a world cruise impossible for us. At $60k USD for a B2 with O Life (before any Oceania perks or TA ccmmission sharing), it's somewhat of a "bargain" when compared to doing multiple cruises during the year.

For example, we're commmitted to approx. 90 days in B1or B2 on O in 2019. O Life fares will total about $38K (before O perks and TA commission sharing). Of course, we're fashioning more of a "custom" overall itinerary across both O and R ships. But, the ultimate dollar cost is higher.

On 12/30/2018 at 10:08 PM, LHT28 said:

Wow....prices sure went up in one year! For 2019 world cruise, we first booked a veranda cabin...the B2 cost $52,999.  We switched cabins to a PH1 and paid $77,999. Sad that a 2020 B2 now costs the same as a 2019 PH1! Glad we are going this year.