Texting app? How to stay in contact with kids?

evajean

I’m taking me 3 kids on the Adventurer of the Seas in March. I’m assuming I will allow my two boys 12 and 15 time to discover the ship on their own. Is there anyway to keep in contact with my kids? I’ve heard walkie talkies don’t work. Just wondering what else there might be.

Thanks in advance!

Eva

I have been on 20 cruises or so with my kids who are now 17 & 13.

We never used any devices or walkie talkie to keep in touch. 

Best thing is to use ship phones, post-it notes, pre planning, and telling each other were you will be at.

We have never had any issues.

If you want to keep in touch using phones and messaging, that requires each phone has the ship’s WiFi, so that means at least a 3 device Voom package. An alternative is to use the ship’s cell tower and send regular text messages. You would need to check with your cellular provider for costs but using cellular, you risk running up huge bills for calls or data. 

We just used VOOM on our trip this month.  I did not expect to be able to text (was planning on FB messenger) but blackshirt is right that the ship's wifi allowed us to text.  Just be sure to keep your phones on airplane mode so that your provider is not involved.  Also - there were 6 of us so I just got a 3 device plan.  We could have any three devices at a time (one would have to log out so another could log on).  I knew it was unlikely that the six of us would be totally separated...so the people that were together just shared the device access.  As to leaving notes in the room, while that can work - the ship (we were on Independence)  is so big that it would be really inconvenient to run back and forth to a room to read notes, etc.  

We just got off the navigator and my kids are 14 and 10.  14 year old had more freedoms, but 10 year old had a little too.  We did not buy the internet, we just set up meeting times and places and it worked great.  Also used the phones around the ship to call the room if we had to.  I like not being connected and not always using a device.