Using your phones on Edge???

Presto2

Hi,

Just trying to work out what your phone is used for on the ship.

Guessing that this is optional as we really do not want to be carrying phones around all of the time and can live without the technology for a while

Thanks

We also are not planning on carrying our cell phones around(actually we will not have access).  Do hope this does not create a problem for us. As long as we still get the planner each night for the next day, we should be okay.

They want you to use your personal technology to check the daily schedule, preview the menus, play trivia.  My experience was that the daily program as printed did not match the app’s, the menus had the wrong nights, and playing trivia on the app was a bore.

frankly, being told “it’s on the app” was annoying when so many things weren’t.

3 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

They want you to use your personal technology to check the daily schedule, preview the menus, play trivia.  My experience was that the daily program as printed did not match the app’s, the menus had the wrong nights, and playing trivia on the app was a bore.

frankly, being told “it’s on the app” was annoying when so many things weren’t.

So if we decided to go phone free (other than the odd call or WhatsApp message) we will be ok to leave it in the safe and just get on with it all the old fashioned way. (We don't do the quizzes and love to just curl up last thing at night with the next day's paper planner).

We leave our phones in airplane mode, or Off inside the safe.

If we need to connect we use the wifi to facetime or wifi calling if your phone supports that.

Everyone is different, but we cruise for a getaway, some must stay connected for family or business reasons, even to get offers on a house for sale.

We also leave our phones off in the safe...hope they fit along with wallets and jewelry, 

We  only use the phones in ports where our plan covers calling or texting.

Our tablet is what we use on board for  the wifi internet  and  e mails....it is too old for the X app to be installed,

We will rely on the paper daily...don't lose it,  heard they are reluctant to supply a replacement.

My first reaction to the whole “use the app” thing was very negative, although I have to admit that I do often carry my phone with me for taking photos.  So I downloaded the app onto my phone, and have discovered one handy thing.  Remember how you used to get a nice pocket deck plan of the whole ship upon checkin?  Last winter I sailed the Silhouette for the first time and really missed it.  However, app gives you one for the Edge.  

We used the app on our phones for the deck plan for the first couple of days - it went into a lot more detail than the printed map provided (see below)

edgemap.jpg

Edited by dides

That printed  list looks fine for us ...better than carrying around a phone

You can still order hard copy brochures and pull out a set of deck plans...or print  out from the internet.

.Hope they have good signage and  mini maps on eack deck as well as good info in the elevators.

It's a new ship so less familiar to most of us!

Edited by hcat

57 minutes ago, hcat said:

.Hope they have good signage and  mini maps on eack deck as well as good info in the elevators.

It's a new ship so less familiar to most of us!

Good signage on each deck - those venues are to the left and those to the right but it's only for that deck. Earlier on we had to wait until we got into the elevator to look at the overall summary of decks and venues to confirm which deck button we needed to press 🙂

You will be fine without a phone on the Edge. Staff have a mantra to repeat about paper use, but if you want an extra paper copy of the daily, you will get it. The more that staff hear "I leave my phone in the safe" the more they will think nothing of people asking for paper copies of things.   We always ask for two dailies each night on our bed and will continue with that since we often do our own things during the day (and I don't trust the "beta" app completely).

My DH is iphone-challenged and did just fine, though he did like learning and playing with the app features. He seemed to visit his ILounge guy most days for help and learned a lot about the iphone I bought for him (and pay for the service every month) that he hasn't really liked using. He is now using the phone more at home and sometimes he even remembers to turn it on when he takes it with him. 😉

Marilyn, your DH and I would get on great as I too rarely use my iPhone.

I didn't bother with the App. I just take pictures and send them to my mates and family.

Slightly off topic. Why with all the latest technology the Edge has do the staterooms have phones with cords? Who buys phones these days with cords? 

I can't  imagine the reason is to stop them being stolen. The TV remotes are cordless! Do they go missing?

Peter

9 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Marilyn, your DH and I would get on great as I too rarely use my iPhone.

I didn't bother with the App. I just take pictures and send them to my mates and family.

Slightly off topic. Why with all the latest technology the Edge has do the staterooms have phones with cords? Who buys phones these days with cords? 

I can't  imagine the reason is to stop them being stolen. The TV remotes are cordless! Do they go missing?

Peter

I know - it was as if they forgot to upgrade the phones after making everything else high tech. 🙂

image.thumb.png.0b4f1ce5ada54a259fade9542336723d.png

Cannot imagine not having my phone with me.. that goes with the whole group. We use our phone for everything.. copies of tickets (flights), reservations, schedules, alarms, everything you can get in there.  It is now a paperless society, not too much clutter. Also, if you have the latest iPhone, the camera is amazing. 

• Like 1

Corded phone is kind of funny. The thing I don’t like is these nightstands with only openings and no proper drawers.  Kind of hard to keep lip balm, Medication bottles, other small items in the open things. Fine I guess if you want to only stack magazines , Otherwise kind of useless.