Power strips

IPB4IGO

We know that power strips with surge protectors are forbidden aboard ship. I just stumbled across something that others might find useful.

On Amazon, search for "power strip cruise ship" and you will get pages of power strips without surge protection.  They all seem to have USB ports as well.

2 hours ago, FulltimeRVer said:

We know that power strips with surge protectors are forbidden aboard ship. I just stumbled across something that others might find useful.

On Amazon, search for "power strip cruise ship" and you will get pages of power strips without surge protection.  They all seem to have USB ports as well.

Be very careful of this.  I have found many power strips that claim to be surge protected that aren't, and vice versa, based on Amazon advertising, and contacting the manufacturer.  I have very little faith in technical advertising on Amazon, and always recommend checking directly with the manufacturer before buying a power strip for use on ships.

A prime example is the "Cruise On" power strip with USB ports.  This claims to be "not surge protected", yet their very own advertising photo of the back of the unit shows a stamped on "VPR=800volts".  VPR is "voltage protection rating", and is a measure of how good a surge protector is.  When questioned about this, the company (I won't say "manufacturer", because they don't make this item, it is made by another power strip maker and has the "Cruise On" logo affixed) said "the photo is wrong, and we will fix it".  That was over a year ago, and if you look at this item on Amazon, you will still see the photo showing the VPR.

There are plenty of "pure" power strips (only power outlets) that are not surge protected, and most "pure" USB hubs (no power outlets, only USB) are not surge protected, but it is the devices that have both that tend to be surge protected.

38 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

There are plenty of "pure" power strips (only power outlets) that are not surge protected, and most "pure" USB hubs (no power outlets, only USB) are not surge protected, but it is the devices that have both that tend to be surge protected.

Hmm.. then maybe going two separate units makes more sense. Might look into that instead.

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

Good info .Thanks . Perhaps Best Buy carries the ones you bought . I need usb ports 

If you are looking for USB ports only, then a "pure" multi-USB hub is your best bet.  Nearly all of these have a two prong plug, which precludes them being surge protected, and most cruise lines, even RCI which bans all extension cords, will allow these "pure" USB hubs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FulltimeRVer said:

We know that power strips with surge protectors are forbidden aboard ship.

That's new information to me. We're booked on the Koningsdam next month, and the information I've received says that on that new class of HAL ships electric outlets abound in the cabin and so the extension cords/power strips are not needed. In the past we have brought our own without objection or incident, and I believe it was equipped with a surge protector. And once, our cabin steward brought us one.

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

If you are looking for USB ports only, then a "pure" multi-USB hub is your best bet.  Nearly all of these have a two prong plug, which precludes them being surge protected, and most cruise lines, even RCI which bans all extension cords, will allow these "pure" USB hubs.

Thanks for your advice .Perhaps we could order on Amazon😋

I ask for 1 extension cord for my cpap and also bring a multi outlet on every cruise.  When we leave the room I just unplug it.  Room Stewards have never said anything. There a couple on Amazon:

These have adapters for the 220v (Does not convert 220v to 120v)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M613XHY/ref=emc_b_5_t

Edited by CATandSQUID
Original item is no longer available

3 hours ago, Petronillus said:

That's new information to me. We're booked on the Koningsdam next month, and the information I've received says that on that new class of HAL ships electric outlets abound in the cabin and so the extension cords/power strips are not needed. In the past we have brought our own without objection or incident, and I believe it was equipped with a surge protector. And once, our cabin steward brought us one.

Yes the Koningsdam has a USB and 110v on each night stand and 3 110v and 1 usb at the desk.  Photos are from our ocean view cabin on KDam.

I you need a power strip have your TA request one and it will be in your cabin when you board - we do this on the older ships

DSCN5949.JPG

DSCN5950.JPG

Just ordered  from amazon   one with usb ports &electrical american power connections which passes for cruise ships . Total cost $16.99 :classic_biggrin:

Hopefully, not the "Cruise On" "cruise ship approved" power strip, which is surge protected even though it says it is not.

It says it is not surge protected  on the amazon description

I no longer trust the Amazon advertising descriptions, seen too many examples of incorrect technical advertising.  I recommend contacting the manufacturer direct.  What brand is it, or can you post a link to the Amazon page.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

I no longer trust the Amazon advertising descriptions, seen too many examples of incorrect technical advertising.  I recommend contacting the manufacturer direct.  What brand is it, or can you post a link to the Amazon page.

Tessan is the brand 2 outlet power strip with 3 usb ports desk top .Charging station with 3 pronged grounded wall  electrical plug 

Tessan is the brand 2 outlet power strip with 3 usb ports desk top .Charging station with 3 pronged grounded wall  electrical plug 

The Tessan "travel" power strip does appear to be non-surge protected, but beware because Tessan does make similar appearing items that are surge protected.

34 minutes ago, AryMay said:

chengkp75...would you be willing to check and see if this power strip is OK for cruising?

I'm not chengkp75, but I bought one of those power strips.  It arrived yesterday.  (I bought the black version.)

If you look at the manufacturer's web site you will see that this is listed under their "power strips", not their "surge protectors". It also mentions its suitability for cruise ships:

Tessan TPM01-US

It would appear to be a white version of one I've discussed on an RCI forum (maybe the PP was part of that one).  As they did, it is always better to go to the manufacturer's site rather than rely on Amazon.  That link the PP gave does include an "exploded view" that Tessan does for some of their products, and I don't see the telltale blue, round, MOV semi-conductors used in surge protection, so I will say it is likely not surge protected.  However, I still recommend that because some cruise lines prohibit any kind of power strip, that you go with the two device method:  one is a "pure" USB hub with as many USB ports as you need (I've seen up to 7 in one unit) and no power outlets, as these tend to get passed by security as "charging devices", and then a simple extension cord if you need the reach, or a simple outlet splitter (the rubber 3 outlet thing that plugs directly into the outlet, no cord), and these as well typically get passed by security.

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

It would appear to be a white version of one I've discussed on an RCI forum (maybe the PP was part of that one).  As they did, it is always better to go to the manufacturer's site rather than rely on Amazon.  That link the PP gave does include an "exploded view" that Tessan does for some of their products, and I don't see the telltale blue, round, MOV semi-conductors used in surge protection, so I will say it is likely not surge protected.  However, I still recommend that because some cruise lines prohibit any kind of power strip, that you go with the two device method:  one is a "pure" USB hub with as many USB ports as you need

Could you recommend any particular USB hub from Amazon?

1 hour ago, AryMay said:

Could you recommend any particular USB hub from Amazon?

I don't make recommendations on specific brands.  Any multi-USB that has only USB ports, and that has a two prong plug will be non-surge protected (surge protection requires connection to ground, the third prong on the plug), and should be fine.  I don't use enough tech to require multi-chargers like this, so some may perform better than others in charging multiple devices.