Dining package - dining with those without the package?

aaamy138

Hey there! I’m going to a NCL cruise with 4 people and we will either be staying in one balcony or two inside rooms. We may choosing a dining package as one of our perks and based on the room we choose, I can see some scenarios play out that I have questions for:

• We can get one balcony room but only guest 1 and 2 will have the free dining package. If I don’t want to buy an additional package for guest 3 and 4, how will that work if we went to a speciality restaurant? I believe with the package guest 1 and 2 get one entree and unlimited apps and desserts. If this is the case, would we will able to just have guest 1 and 2 order all the apps and desserts and then be charged entrees for guest 3 and 4?

• If we get two staterooms, let’s say one room had the dining package but the other didn’t. Would we be able to dine together at a speciality restaurant? Would they scan keycards for both rooms? And also will you be able to do the same as above, the guests with packages ordering apps while the ones who do not just ordering their own entrees?

Anwyay these are just what ifs and I know I  could probably just purchase an additional dining package for guest 3+4. I usually get the WiFi package so I am trying to understand which free perk to choose. Thank you! 

Edited by aaamy138
Clarity

2 minutes ago, aaamy138 said:

I believe with the package guest 1 and 2 get one entree and unlimited apps and desserts. If this is the case, would we will able to just have guest 1 and 2 order all the apps and desserts and then be charged entrees for guest 3 and 4?

It isn't supposed to be done in that way (using the SDP to feed guests 3 & 4). Apps aren't expensive so just have guests 3 & 4 pay for what they order.

3 minutes ago, aaamy138 said:

If we get two staterooms, let’s say one room had the dining package but the other didn’t. Would we be able to dine together?

Yes. The non-SDP guests would be charged and pay a la carte via their onboard account. 

• Like 1

Hey there! I’m going to a NCL cruise with 4 people and we will either be staying in one balcony or two inside rooms. We may choosing a dining package as one of our perks and based on the room we choose, I can see some scenarios play out that I have questions for:

• If we got one balcony room and only guest 1 and 2 will have the free dining package. If I don’t want to buy an additional package for guest 3 and 4, how will that work if we went to a speciality restaurant? I believe with the package guest 1 and 2 get one entree and unlimited apps and desserts. If this is the case, would we will able to just have guest 1 and 2 order all the apps and desserts and then be charged entrees for guest 3 and 4?

• If we get two staterooms, let’s say one room had the dining package but the other didn’t. Would we be able to dine together? And also will you be able to do the same as above, the guests with packages ordering apps while the ones who do not just ordering their own entrees?

Anwyay these are just what ifs and I know I  could probably just purchase an additional dining package for guest 3+4. I usually get the WiFi package so I am trying to understand which free perk to choose. Thank you! 

I would just buy the package for guest 3 and 4. If guest 3 and 4 are eating apps and deserts that are meant for guest 1 and 2 that could be embarrassing in my opinion. The price for the packages are so reasonable and worth it. For our 14 night Escape coming up we bought a 7 night SDP each. We paid 166 each, a great deal for all you get. (we got the UBP and free tips for our two perks). 

13 minutes ago, pieshops said:

one app one entree one dessert, some restaurants there is also a dollar limit on the entree of 20 dollars

That is for the platinum meal, the SDP is different, there is no limit on price of entree. There are up charges for certain venues though. Also you can get multiple desserts, and apps, but who can eat that much, lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cathi007 said:

That is for the platinum meal, the SDP is different, there is no limit on price of entree. There are up charges for certain venues though. Also you can get multiple desserts, and apps, but who can eat that much, lol

yes you are correct, sorry,  with the 20 dollar limit sorry but on the amount of apps, we were told no more then one this past week on the Jade when we used our meal plan not the coupon 

Ah okay. So it is just one app, entree and dessert each. My family often eats “family” style in that we share bites of each other’s foods. We usually share apps evenly. Maybe take a bite of each other’s entrees. In the complimentary restaurants, since my parents are prediabetic, they don’t always order dessert but might take a bite of ours. So it doesn’t seem worth it to get the whole package for them if they’re not going to eat dessert. Do you think they would mind some sharing in that case? 

Edited by aaamy138

Trying to game the system is what drives NCL and other lines to come up with new rules, such as one app and one dessert which has been reported by some on these boards and others have no issues ordering multiple apps.  I agree with the other poster, buying the meal plan is actually a good deal so I would purchase it for guests 3 and 4.  Less stress, no need to explain to your server how you are trying to game the system, and just well, more classy.  Also, the drink package is the best value to pick, assuming you drink enough to cover the cost of the gratuities, which is very easy to do an a cruise.  The WiFi is not very good at all.

6 minutes ago, aaamy138 said:

Ah okay. So it is just one app, entree and dessert each. My family often eats “family” style in that we share bites of each other’s foods. We usually share apps evenly. Maybe take a bite of each other’s entrees. In the complimentary restaurants, since my parents are prediabetic, they don’t always order dessert but might take a bite of ours. So it doesn’t seem worth it to get the whole package for them if they’re not going to eat dessert. Do you think they would mind some sharing in that case? 

You cannot share and you can't transfer meals between guests.   Don't embarrass yourselves, just get two more packages.  They aren't expensive, by anyone's standards.

19 minutes ago, pieshops said:

yes you are correct, sorry,  with the 20 dollar limit sorry but on the amount of apps, we were told no more then one this past week on the Jade when we used our meal plan not the coupon 

OK I hear that too, but apparently there are instances when they allow. I hear it just depends on the staff. I honestly couldn't eat that much anyway, lol

3 minutes ago, cathi007 said:

OK I hear that too, but apparently there are instances when they allow. I hear it just depends on the staff. I honestly couldn't eat that much anyway, lol

Yes it does depend on the staff and ship.  In December on the Breakaway in La Cucina, the server was very specific when telling patrons what they could order and that if they ordered more, they would be charged.

Sharing will happen nonetheless, it’s not something I find embarrassing. But at least it’s good to know that if it’s frowned apon, that I should order at least 1 app per person so it looks less like I’m trying to cheat the system. But from other threads it seems like it just depends on how nice your server is and it seems more lenient when it’s sharing with kids. 

Additonal question: is it possible to buy a dining package for another person as a gift with OBC? Or can you only buy it for yourself? Thanks! 

Sharing will happen nonetheless, it’s not something I find embarrassing. But at least it’s good to know that if it’s frowned apon, that I should order at least 1 app per person so it looks less like I’m trying to cheat the system. But from other threads it seems like it just depends on how nice your server is and it seems more lenient when it’s sharing with kids. 

Additonal question: is it possible to buy a dining package for another person as a gift with OBC? Or can you only buy it for yourself? Thanks! 

I honestly don't know, but I don't see why not. You can buy the package online (cheaper than waiting) I would call the NCL number. You can also purchase it on the ship for the first 2 days, but after that it has to be al la Carte 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aaamy138 said:

If there are 4 guests and guests 1 and 2 were to order 4 apps and 4 desserts to be shared among the table; I think that would be frowned upon. If they ordered 2 apps and 2 desserts and guests 3 and 4 had a bite, I wouldn’t think it would be an issue. But if the intent is to order multiple of each course and share equally, it would be far less awkward to just have everyone with SDP or have everyone order and pay for their own food.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aaamy138 said:

You can share your meal plan app with non-plan people. But don’t be surprised when you are charged the retail price for it at the end of the meal. Don’t think that your waiter hasn’t seen it all. And will nail you for gaming the system. 

No different than getting the UBP and pouring 1/2 your drink into a glass for your non-UBP partner...... this is flat out theft which in the long run causes higher prices for the rest of us when businesses need to recover the inventory loss.

Lol, how is it “theft” if you are limited an amount of items you’re allowed to order? For the unlimited I understand but if you’re only allowed 1 app, 1 entree and 1 dessert, how would it be “theft” if you share what you paid for and not getting more than what you’re supposed to?

As for it I would do this in a 4-star restaurant, I believe dessert and some apps are meant to be shared so I would have no problem doing it. Some restaurants will charge a little extra if you decide to share something (usually for entrees) but the fee is clearly written on their menu so there’s no troubles if you decide to do that. 

Here are my experiences with a mix of people with and without the SDP.

On the Escape last February, my SO and I were traveling with a couple of his friends. It was one of their birthdays while we were on the ship. We intended to treat the two of them to Moderno at our expense and use our SDP credits for ourselves (we had the SDP and they didn't). At the end of the meal, they brought us a check with a zero balance. They had charged two specialty meals to each of our accounts, so my SO and I were left with one each (instead of the two each we anticipated).

On the Gem in June, my SO purchased the SDP and I did not. I had intended to pay a la carte for my specialty dining meals, as I don't eat much and didn't want to pay out of pocket for the package (we didn't get it as an included perk on that cruise). We ate at La Cucina for our first meal, both ordered an appetizer and entree and shared a dessert. At the end of the meal, they brought our check with a zero balance. They had deducted two of the specialty dining credits from my SO (so he was down to one). Our second meal was at Cagney's. He had an appetizer and entree, I had a soup and an appetizer, and we again shared a dessert. At the end, they brought us a check with a zero balance. Apparently they had just charged my soup and appetizer against his one remaining meal credit.

We did not ask any of our servers to do any of these things for us. On that first sailing, we had fully intended to pay the check for our friends. On the second sailing, I was prepared to pay a la carte at both La Cucina and Cagney's (which had influenced my ordering decisions at both restaurants). It all worked out well for us, but I would never go in ASSUMING it will work out that way. And I would never ask the servers to handle it that way.

My advice would be to check out the menus, determine whether it makes more sense to buy the extra SDPs for your 3rd & 4th guest or if it makes more sense for them to just order small items a la carte. In the end, if you decide to forgo purchasing the SDPs, then be fully prepared to pay the a la carte prices, but there is a chance you may not have to.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, aaamy138 said:

Lol, how is it “theft” if you are limited an amount of items you’re allowed to order? For the unlimited I understand but if you’re only allowed 1 app, 1 entree and 1 dessert, how would it be “theft” if you share what you paid for and not getting more than what you’re supposed to?

As for it I would do this in a 4-star restaurant, I believe dessert and some apps are meant to be shared so I would have no problem doing it. Some restaurants will charge a little extra if you decide to share something (usually for entrees) but the fee is clearly written on their menu so there’s no troubles if you decide to do that. 

Your original question was based on your belief that you receive "unlimited apps and desserts. If this is the case, would we will able to just have guest 1 and 2 order all the apps and desserts"..... so you clearly understand the term "theft" and "unlimited".... theft would occur when you give 3 & 4 something that THEY did not pay for.  Regardless of what passengers experience between unlimited or one....   Based on your logic,  I should bring my wife to the movies for free and sit in ONE chair and ONE bucket of popcorn and ONE soda or better yet......  argue with NCL that she should cruise for free because we use ONE stateroom and ONE bed and she can split my food in the buffet if I take twice as much as I can eat.

and as far as restaurants allowing the sharing of a dessert..... NCL clearly addresses this in the SDP T&Cs where it reads "not transferable and cannot be shared" 

The simple point is that the T&Cs forbid sharing. 

1 hour ago, aaamy138 said:

I believe they were thinking that if someone with the SDP ordered 4 appetizers and 4 desserts with the intention of giving them or sharing them with someone without the SDP, so they would not have to pay for them.  You will read many posts of folks trying to figure out how to game the system and get items for free for others.

Just like what has happened to the Lattitude's free dinners, with them now limiting the number of items, if NCL feels that folks are ordering items to save those without the SDP money, they will then put limitations on the SDP as well.

Edited by NLH Arizona

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Here are my experiences with a mix of people with and without the SDP.

On the Escape last February, my SO and I were traveling with a couple of his friends. It was one of their birthdays while we were on the ship. We intended to treat the two of them to Moderno at our expense and use our SDP credits for ourselves (we had the SDP and they didn't). At the end of the meal, they brought us a check with a zero balance. They had charged two specialty meals to each of our accounts, so my SO and I were left with one each (instead of the two each we anticipated).

On the Gem in June, my SO purchased the SDP and I did not. I had intended to pay a la carte for my specialty dining meals, as I don't eat much and didn't want to pay out of pocket for the package (we didn't get it as an included perk on that cruise). We ate at La Cucina for our first meal, both ordered an appetizer and entree and shared a dessert. At the end of the meal, they brought our check with a zero balance. They had deducted two of the specialty dining credits from my SO (so he was down to one). Our second meal was at Cagney's. He had an appetizer and entree, I had a soup and an appetizer, and we again shared a dessert. At the end, they brought us a check with a zero balance. Apparently they had just charged my soup and appetizer against his one remaining meal credit.

We did not ask any of our servers to do any of these things for us. On that first sailing, we had fully intended to pay the check for our friends. On the second sailing, I was prepared to pay a la carte at both La Cucina and Cagney's (which had influenced my ordering decisions at both restaurants). It all worked out well for us, but I would never go in ASSUMING it will work out that way. And I would never ask the servers to handle it that way.

My advice would be to check out the menus, determine whether it makes more sense to buy the extra SDPs for your 3rd & 4th guest or if it makes more sense for them to just order small items a la carte. In the end, if you decide to forgo purchasing the SDPs, then be fully prepared to pay the a la carte prices, but there is a chance you may not have to.

That’s very interesting how they used the credit differently each time. Was very helpful, thank you! 

1 hour ago, esm54687 said:

Your original question was based on your belief that you receive "unlimited apps and desserts. If this is the case, would we will able to just have guest 1 and 2 order all the apps and desserts"..... so you clearly understand the term "theft" and "unlimited".... theft would occur when you give 3 & 4 something that THEY did not pay for.  Regardless of what passengers experience between unlimited or one....   Based on your logic,  I should bring my wife to the movies for free and sit in ONE chair and ONE bucket of popcorn and ONE soda or better yet......  argue with NCL that she should cruise for free because we use ONE stateroom and ONE bed and she can split my food in the buffet if I take twice as much as I can eat.

and as far as restaurants allowing the sharing of a dessert..... NCL clearly addresses this in the SDP T&Cs where it reads "not transferable and cannot be shared" 

The simple point is that the T&Cs forbid sharing. 

Actually, the logic comparison would be if you had unlimited popcorn and shared it with your loved ones. 🙂 Your wife would still be paying for other parts of the movie, just like I would be paying for entrees and the cruise for the other members. 

Then there’s the idea that you paid to get into the revenue to see movies but once you get there you find out you have to pay extra for the good movies. In comparison to how cruise dining is complimentary but more and more “speciality” restaurants keep popping up. It seems everyone has strong opinions about it and I know I don’t have to go to a speciality restaurant if I don’t want to. Maybe once I try the food I would think it’s worth it but the way I see it is now is that it’s another way the cruise try to get people to spend more money. So all doing is researching to see whether or not it’s worth it and what’s allowed and isn’t so I can make an informed decision. 🙂 

Actually by bringing this up you will have alerted someone in Miami that there is something amiss with their rules and that a whole group of people are now sitting down to re-write the rules more clearly.  So there goes the possibility of staff working the rules in "your" favour.

I work on the premise; If I find a loophole in the rules or regulations I never tell anyone about it till I have used it and they have closed it!!