“LIVE FROM” 2019 Oceania Insignia World Cruise, Jan. 11-July 11

Go-Bucks!

17 hours ago, chivatosteve said:

Our experience:  We signed up for our first Oceania cruise back in 2015 - a Panama canal crossing.  We did not know at the time that it was the last segment of RTW 2015.  After the tragic Insignia fire, we joined CC and only then learned that our segment was part of the shortened RTW!  Once on board we did noticed a subtle cliqueness, but we were determined to have a great time.

We had heard a lot about Oceania Trivia so we attended.  It was very clear that it was a very serious well established group that didn't welcome new players who just wanted some fun.  When we made a comment about this to the CD, his response was "That's human nature, isn't it."  We didn't go to Trivia again.

We had heard a lot about Oceania High Tea so we looked forward to that.  We found that the ATW passengers totally monopolized the servers, because they were very familiar with each other, so our service was far less attentive. We didn't go to Tea again.

Having a cocktail in Martinis daily was fun but you had to be careful of not sitting on "the regulars" stool.  One day when a lot of people were not back from excursions, an ATW regular entered the half empty bar and proclaimed "Looks like we got our bar back!"   At a show one night we watched another ATWer try to shoo a couple of nice teenagers from "her" seats that they were saving for their parents. 

That all being said, we did meet several segmenters that we enjoyed and have staying in contact with.  We also met some ATWers that were very nice and welcoming to us "newbies".  And, we did have a great time on that first Oceania cruise in 2015 and as a result we will be on our 4th Oceania cruise next month, with the 5th reserved for next fall.  But, I doubt we will again do a segment of an ATW......

So yes LHT, not every one is treated the same, but then the ATW passengers are spending a lot on a cruise that most of us will never be able to go on.  Some of the ATW service and passengers are delightful, and some not so much.  I guess that is human nature...…. 

Not sure this has anything to do with O but is human nature. I moved into a small, 1500 people,  over 55 community. The "pioneers " original 50 are quite clicky.  Over time you earn your "street cred". Same thing happened  on a Wind Star where a family took over the ship, almost 60 percent of passengers were part of family.  Understand 400 people are already signed up for 2020. I have met some fabulous ATW cruisers. As to special events if I was an ATW cruiser I would appreciate the focus on keeping us "entertained". 

• Like 1

It would be nice if we could move on from the subject of past “exclusion”, and focus on this cruise.

Of course, those of you at home that wish to continue debating about it, are welcome to start a new thread on the subject...

Thank you.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, bob brown said:

It would be nice if we could move on from the subject of past “exclusion”, and focus on this cruise.

Of course, those of you at home that wish to continue debating about it, are welcome to start a new thread on the subject...

Thank you.

Great suggestion, Bob.  👍

What a gorgeous day we're having as we sail to Wellington, NZ. We're sailing close to the NZ coast so we have a nice panoramic view from our balcony. Cooler weather feels good too.  It's going to get alot hotter in the coming weeks so I'm going to sit outside today and enjoy these temps.  🚢

• Like 1

Thank you Bob and Go Bucks.    I am on this ship, enjoying reading others adventures and sights and tired of reading complaints and issues.  Let’s keep this tread as an informative, fun filled thread.   Thank you 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm watching you!  

Can you see the huge Queen Elizabeth yet?  (Just kidding, I know you'll be quite a ways apart!)

What's really strange is that my favorite site for spying on cruisers (Marine Traffic) does not list Insignia, which really surprises me.  I've been watching Regatta going around Australia and New Zealand for the last two weeks on Marine Traffic.  But when I query Insignia or Oceania Insignia, she's not listed.  So this screenshot is from cruisemapper.com: 

insignia off coast nz.JPG

Sailed on Oceania many times and are looking forward to joining all our cruise friends in Singapore.  My daddy always said in order to have a friend you have to be a friend. Look for the good in people, I promise you it is there! Except for Steve  and Barb, they’re always grumpy… Ha ha ha 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Your visit to New Zealand is reminding me of our two visits there. We visited because we made friends on a Hawaii cruise with folks from New Zealand. Doubt we ever would have been there if not for that. So, make friends on all cruises!

We were there for New Years Y2K. Because of the date line/time difference, I was able to email my co-workers who were still at work. Told them "everything seems to be fine". And it was.

Thanks to everyone taking the time to post on this thread. I am enjoying it so much. Maybe some day......

• Like 2

4 hours ago, roothy123 said:

I'm watching you!  

Can you see the huge Queen Elizabeth yet?  (Just kidding, I know you'll be quite a ways apart!)

What's really strange is that my favorite site for spying on cruisers (Marine Traffic) does not list Insignia, which really surprises me.  I've been watching Regatta going around Australia and New Zealand for the last two weeks on Marine Traffic.  But when I query Insignia or Oceania Insignia, she's not listed.  So this screenshot is from cruisemapper.com:

Marine Traffic is showing us now...

Unfortunately, I was made aware of our passing the QE too late...we have already passed by her, now...:classic_sad:

30 minutes ago, bob brown said:

Marine Traffic is showing us now...

Unfortunately, I was made aware of our passing the QE too late...we have already passed by her, now...:classic_sad:

I really looked for Insignia on Marine Traffic.  How is it that she's showing up now???

And as for Sydney, Regatta will be there March 4 according to the port site.  Too bad it's not a few days earlier so you could wave to her!

22 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I really looked for Insignia on Marine Traffic.  How is it that she's showing up now???

And as for Sydney, Regatta will be there March 4 according to the port site.  Too bad it's not a few days earlier so you could wave to her!

We're there March 4.

Isn't it a beautiful day?!!

20190227_115446.jpg

1 minute ago, Go-Bucks! said:

We're there March 4.

Isn't it a beautiful day?!!

20190227_115446.jpg

Wow!  That IS beautiful!  It's a nice night here, but not nearly THAT nice!

Oh, I reversed those two dates.  March 1 is Regatta, March 4 is Insignia.

So Overseas Passenger Terminal is the one in this screenshot, right?  Guess I won't be able to see Regatta or Insignia, since they're both scheduled for White Bay.  Oh well.

sydney overseas pass terminal think.JPG

• Like 1

There was a great New Zealand buffet tonight in the Terrace Cafe...lots of fresh seafood and lamb.  They had a "mussel bar" with 7 different styles of mussels...they were yummy!!  Bay scallops, several salads, and lamb roast rounded out my dinner.  And the changing sky has looked so amazing...the captain said that we would have high winds and seas tonight (which has started already) and the clouds have been putting on a show.

20190227_183819.jpg

20190227_183830.jpg

20190227_183824.jpg

20190227_183759.jpg

20190227_185034.jpg

IMG_4272.jpg

20190227_192005.jpg

20190227_192012.jpg

20190227_200435.jpg

20190227_200444.jpg

20190227_200450.jpg

• Like 6