Least Favorite Port

CozGurl

On 1/9/2019 at 1:37 AM, Lindypops said:

Jamaica  Ocho Rios 

police armed with machine guns walking the street .

lots of agressive people trying to sell drugs on the street and in the market

we have been to Rio , Bueno aries and Columbia  and Jamaica was by far the most frghtening.

I agree with you on this one. Exactly why I hated it so much. I would never go back to Jamaica.

Does this five-night cruise from Florida take the award for Worst Cruise Itinerary Ever?

Day 1: Freeport
Day 2: Key West

Day 3: GSC

Day 4: Nassau

My wife and I are actually taking this cruise because the price was so right and there were no other options around the time we want to go, but we've been joking that we might not get off the ship.

On 1/9/2019 at 10:17 AM, Pauser said:

We love Samana! They have gorgeous hidden beaches, wonderful local art, and very warm, friendly people. They have a much different standard of living, so I understand the aggressive sellers - kind of like Jamaica. But we've always found a firm "no thanks" works fine. If you go back, do an ATV or some type of tour. Get away from the port area and go see the stunning scenery! 

I agree. Samana isn't as built up as some other ports and the community is definitely poorer so I understand their aggression and desperation. There is no malice though and if you take time to engage, it's really a great port. We love Samana because it's actually one of the few ports where we feel we get a sense of the island and the culture, rather than many of the others that have become cruise passenger tourist traps. 

18 hours ago, Bella0714 said:

Does this five-night cruise from Florida take the award for Worst Cruise Itinerary Ever?

My wife and I are actually taking this cruise because the price was so right and there were no other options around the time we want to go, but we've been joking that we might not get off the ship.

GSC is total relaxation (if you make it, we always seem to miss it) and Key West is fun, historic, and beautiful. Two out of four isn't so bad! 🙂

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. I am generally a confident traveler and do my research, but this port was a wake up call.  I have not been here since 2005, but it was not set up for tourism then.  A guard in a folding chair, machete and AR sat guarding the port gate, which was a cattle panel and a few pieces of chain link fence. We took an excursion from the ship and it included several stops to sugar cane, cigar and other local spots. We were told not to take backpacks, purses or carry beach bags for security reasons. We quickly learned at stop lights why- the safari bus was engulfed by kids and teenagers begging for “American Money” and they would try and jump up and tap your hand and arms for your attention. Yes, I was aware that this was a higher poverty area, but was not aware of the intensity in which it presented itself. It was a newer stop from what I understand and I hope that the cruise line has helped the economy with community service oriented excursions and providing support to the local area... however, it felt very flung together and not thought out. Lessons learned for all. 

However, once back on ship, there was several baseball fields off the port area and was some of the best baseball I have seen. 

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:49 PM, Bella0714 said:

I like Key West. But the others are not appealing

Tortola...did excursion there, and driver was getting “stoned” while he was driving around those mountain roads.  His voice volume was getting lower and lower and he was driving all over the road.  It was scary.  Plus, we only made one stop to a tiny shopping area.  Ocho Rios...the locals were extremely aggressive as we walked along to the shopping area.  Everything at the port, including drinks, were overpriced.

On 2/14/2019 at 9:14 AM, bkrickles1 said:

Well my Jan, 2020 Encore cruise stops in San Juan from 5:30PM until midnight so right now that's my least favorite.

I've been there quite a few times and last time we didn't even get off the ship. The time before that my wife and sister in-law dragged me into a Marshalls store for 90 minutes and that almost ruined my entire vacation. Lmao!!

Really?  We’re also doing Encore in Jan 2020 and this might be the stop we’re looking forward to the most. We’ve never done Eastern Caribbean though. 

Is there something bad in particular, or just that you’ve been too many times?

I am sick of St. Thomas and have had very creepy and scary experiences in Jamaica. Ensenada was terrible. Tortola has  nothing to offer. Unlike many other of my fellow cruisers, I always seem to find something fun to do in Cozumel and I like Nassau. I am not a huge beach person, but I enjoy all the "private island" days because I know what to expect and that is usually my one beach day of the trip. I mourn the loss of authenticity over the years - places are starting to turn into shopping malls of the same old stores and a lot of the local flavor seems to be turning generic. 

As for overseas, If you've seen the Acropolis, there is no reason to revisit Athens or its port, Piraeus. 

8 hours ago, Phaedrus78 said:

Really?  We’re also doing Encore in Jan 2020 and this might be the stop we’re looking forward to the most. We’ve never done Eastern Caribbean though. 

Is there something bad in particular, or just that you’ve been too many times?

There's nothing bad. My comments mostly have to do with it being a short visit and it being at night. We're beach people so that's out so I'm not sure what we'll do. We've been there quite a few times either on cruises or at resorts so that's part of it too. 

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. 

We're on the January 19 sailing by the way. 

Guadeloupe- the taxi drivers held a protest and blocked all the excursion buses and shuttles.  Welcome to our dumpy port...  The interior of the island is lovely if you don't have to deal with common French travel issues.

Agree with Nassau and Freeport along with Brest France.

Definitely Nassau for us, been there 3 times in the past few years.  Other than Atlantis (which is way over-priced) there just isn't too much going on compared to other islands.  Did not feel safe there either.  We will avoid Nassau at all costs on future cruises.

On 2/15/2019 at 8:18 AM, Alegeeter said:

I agree. Samana isn't as built up as some other ports and the community is definitely poorer so I understand their aggression and desperation. There is no malice though and if you take time to engage, it's really a great port. We love Samana because it's actually one of the few ports where we feel we get a sense of the island and the culture, rather than many of the others that have become cruise passenger tourist traps. 

I guess this just shows had different people are. We hated Samana. Our daughter bought a bottle of water from one of the vendors. When she went to open it, the seal was already broken. As for the vendors, most of what was being sold was over priced and poor quality. We knew a few who did tours; their reaction was the same as ours; not a place they would return to but we love Roatan. 

22 minutes ago, Sotermarler said:

Ensenada and Roatan were both really bad.

We enjoy Encenada mainly because of the winery tour. Otherwise, not much to see or do. Hubby and I actually spent our 3 day honeymoon there 60 years ago. the reason, Hubby was a reporter/sports editor for a very small paper just a few miles from San Diego. He gave the owner of a small resort some good coverage so she offered us a good price on her resort for a few days. Being a very poor 21 year old and just out of college he jumped at the chance. AS I mentioned earlier this morning we love Roatan. Just hire a driver to take you around or a taxi to the beach. There is much to see and do 

22 minutes ago, Sotermarler said:

Ensenada and Roatan were both really bad.

30 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

We enjoy Encenada mainly because of the winery tour. Otherwise, not much to see or do. Hubby and I actually spent our 3 day honeymoon there 60 years ago. the reason, Hubby was a reporter/sports editor for a very small paper just a few miles from San Diego. He gave the owner of a small resort some good coverage so she offered us a good price on her resort for a few days. Being a very poor 21 year old and just out of college he jumped at the chance. AS I mentioned earlier this morning we love Roatan. Just hire a driver to take you around or a taxi to the beach. There is much to see and do 

"Stay classy San Diego"