Onboard extras

tigerfire2002

2 hours ago, PATRLR said:

I will acknowledge that I am not quite following your point here, I apologize if I've just flat out missed it.  But, bottles of water can be for immediate consumption just as much as a bottle of beer or soda in just the same manner as a bottle of beer or soda.

My point is that the drinks included in the package MUST be immediately consumed. Things which you could take away with you to consume later (or give to friends), such as cans of soda, bottles of wine etc aren't included. Things which have to be consumed immediately (fountain soda, glasses of wine, cocktails etc) are included.

9 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

My point is that the drinks included in the package MUST be immediately consumed. Things which you could take away with you to consume later (or give to friends), such as cans of soda, bottles of wine etc aren't included. Things which have to be consumed immediately (fountain soda, glasses of wine, cocktails etc) are included.

OK, except bottles/cans of beer are part of the packages and they can be taken away with you to consume later (or give to friends).

5 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

OK, except bottles/cans of beer are part of the packages and they can be taken away with you to consume later (or give to friends).

Yes, I mentioned bottles of beer in my original post.

Because the vast majority of beer onboard comes in bottles or cans, they really have no alternative but to include them (not including beer would certainly be an interesting development). However, they are supposed to be served open, even though many bar staff don't follow that rule.

On 1/12/2019 at 6:31 PM, tallnthensome said:

Nobody actually buys the drink package, they get the promotion. My upcoming 15 Panama Canal drink promo cost less than $500 for my wife and I for 15 days. A similar cruise on Carnival has a cost of over $1600 for Cheers. That's an $1100 difference. I can buy a whole lot of bottles water to satisfy or complete the package with $1100 for drink packages. BTW,  when all was added the NCL cruise on the new Bliss was $500 for 15 days than 14 on Carnival's older ship. NCL = better deal this time. 

Believe it or not some people still buy the package.  We were on the Escape in April and talked to a couple who purchased the package.  I was confused because they mentioned choosing the 3-meal dining package and wifi for their promos.  I wanted to ask why they hadn't chosen the drink package but I didn't. To this day I still wonder why they chose to forego the most valuable package for two that are fairly inexpensive when compared to the drink package.

44 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Yes, I mentioned bottles of beer in my original post.

Because the vast majority of beer onboard comes in bottles or cans, they really have no alternative but to include them (not including beer would certainly be an interesting development). However, they are supposed to be served open, even though many bar staff don't follow that rule.

OK, then your original statement about bottled water seems to be invalidated (IMO) by the fact that they do include beer in the package.   

On 1/13/2019 at 3:10 AM, KeithJenner said:

As for why bottled water isn’t included, the NCL beverage package includes drinks for immediate consumption.

So I don't think the exclusion of water has anything to do with immediate consumption or sharing with friends and more likely has to do with cost savings and possibly a belief that it's just not necessary.

1 minute ago, PATRLR said:

OK, then your original statement about bottled water seems to be invalidated (IMO) by the fact that they do include beer in the package.   

So I don't think the exclusion of water has anything to do with immediate consumption or sharing with friends and more likely has to do with cost savings and possibly a belief that it's just not necessary.

I've addressed that twice now. I can't really be bothered to try again.

3 hours ago, PATRLR said:

I will acknowledge that I am not quite following your point here, I apologize if I've just flat out missed it.  But, bottles of water can be for immediate consumption just as much as a bottle of beer or soda in just the same manner as a bottle of beer or soda.

Think about it this way - unlike your land based bars, the ship ones don't stock a lot of stuff.  Many mixed drinks can only be made in one location because others don't stock the correct liquors and not all beer on board can be found at all bars.  The bars just don't have the room to stock tons of water bottles....plus the amount of waste generated by having bottles that readily available would be astronomical.  Order water by the glass or bring your own refillable bottle.  The environment will thank you!

Edited by laurabegorrah

7 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I've addressed that twice now. I can't really be bothered to try again.

Yeah, you shouldn't try again because your post was contradictory.  You stated one thing (immediate consumption) and then contradicted it (beer bottles).  That may be the way you think, that may be logical to you, it's not to me.

6 minutes ago, laurabegorrah said:

The bars just don't have the room to stock tons of water bottles....plus the amount of waste generated by having bottles that readily available would be astronomical.  Order water by the glass or bring your own refillable bottle.  The environment will thank you!

Absolutely agree.  Makes all the sense in the world.  

But what you wrote has nothing to do with "NCL beverage package includes drinks for immediate consumption" which is what I Was trying to understand (and I have since learned is not possible to understand).

4 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

But what you wrote has nothing to do with "NCL beverage package includes drinks for immediate consumption" which is what I Was trying to understand (and I have since learned is not possible to understand).

I guess I was thinking that they just don't have the space to stock water bottles to drink for immediate consumption (especially at the bars where the package is mainly used).  The few locations that have individual bottles available for purchase are places like the coffee shop - where the package is only good if you add a shot of liquor to your coffee lol 

Edited by laurabegorrah

13 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Can you not understand that opening a can or bottle of beer means that you then need to drink it, rather than store it?

That isn't rocket science.

Edited by KeithJenner

24 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Can you not understand that opening a can or bottle of beer means that you then need to drink it, rather than store it?

Yet the same doesn’t apply to a can of Coke?? (Actually Pepsi on NCL)

35 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Can you not understand that opening a bottle of water means you then need to drink it, rather than store it?

That isn't rocket science either.

10 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Apparently not. Nor water. 😕

Edited by PATRLR

20 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

No, because pretty well every bar has a fountain for coke. The point is that, other than a couple of bars, bottles or cans are the only option for beers.

Anyway, that really is it for me now. It's a theory I have as to why certain things are available (based on experience in other places). I may be wrong, but I don't see what is so complicated about this.

Edited by KeithJenner

10 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Can you not understand that opening a bottle of water means you then need to drink it, rather than store it?

Yes, I certainly understand that. However, water is also available everywhere (unlike draught beer).

Personally, I would have expected the beverage package to include bottled water from a bar poured into a glass. Bars will give you a glass of water from the tap though, so that could be a reason why they don't include that.

However, in discussions like this, when people talk about bottled water being covered by the UBP, I don't think they are talking about getting a glass of sparkling water from a bar. My understanding is that they are talking about taking the bottle of water away with them unopened. My theory (and it is only a theory) is that it is to do with the "immediate consumption" thing.

And that really is my last word on this. If people still don't get what I am saying then clearly I am not explaining it very well, because it really isn't complicated.

Edited by KeithJenner

1 minute ago, KeithJenner said:

However, in discussions like this, when people talk about bottled water being covered by the UBP, I don't think they are talking about getting a glass of sparkling water from a bar. My understanding is that they are talking about taking the bottle of water away with them unopened. My theory (and it is only a theory) is that it is to do with the "immediate consumption" thing.

Ahhhh... now I see your point.  And I agree.

And following through on that, I suppose people would still be unhappy if only opened bottled water were included (In other words the server opened the bottle and kept the cap).

On 1/12/2019 at 5:44 PM, tigerfire2002 said:

I'm curious why the beverage package does not include bottled water? This is one of the main reasons I prefer OTHER cruise lines over Norwegian. Especially when the package costs twice as much as other cruise lines. Something small, but it's enough to make me and many others I know, not want to cruise Norwegian again.

The other 2 reasons I did not like NCL, was that 1) all entertainment is not included. Seriously? NCL is that greedy you can't even include all the shows, but still charge extra? 2) Internet is not unlimited and you can't stream. And it's also more expensive than other cruise lines. 

So what is my incentive to cruise NCL when it goes to all the same destinations as other cruise lines, but it's more expensive? 

This is the classic example of looking for a reason NOT to sail on a specific line as opposed to trying to find a reason that a line works.

37 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Ahhhh... now I see your point.  And I agree.

And following through on that, I suppose people would still be unhappy if only opened bottled water were included (In other words the server opened the bottle and kept the cap).

I knew we'd get there in the end. 🙂

I agree, some people would still be unhappy in that case.

They probably have a point as well. I'm certainly not defending NCL's rules, which I understand aren't as good as other lines.

On 1/12/2019 at 4:44 PM, tigerfire2002 said:

I'm curious why the beverage package does not include bottled water? This is one of the main reasons I prefer OTHER cruise lines over Norwegian. Especially when the package costs twice as much as other cruise lines. Something small, but it's enough to make me and many others I know, not want to cruise Norwegian again.

The other 2 reasons I did not like NCL, was that 1) all entertainment is not included. Seriously? NCL is that greedy you can't even include all the shows, but still charge extra? 2) Internet is not unlimited and you can't stream. And it's also more expensive than other cruise lines. 

So what is my incentive to cruise NCL when it goes to all the same destinations as other cruise lines, but it's more expensive? 

wow, the title of your post is a little misleading but here are some answers as to why some of us like NCL and some debate to your reasons for not liking NCL : 1- the drink package is not twice as expensive as other lines. Give us a good example of where NCL is twice as pricey for the package. 2-not including water, that is a legit complaint and many of us would agree, but certainly something like that would not affect many people when choosing a cruise line. 3-Entertainment is completely free on all NCL ships for the basic shows, just like other lines. The new, mega ships do offer specialty shows at an added price. this is only on the mega ships. 4- I don't know about all lines, but the ones I know about charge for the internet just like NCL. 

No, not all lines are good for all cruisers. We all know what works for one doesn't always work for another, but I do think some objections are unfounded regardless of what line one is complaining about.

We choose NCL for the wonderful service we get and the dining choices, plus they were the first to offer Freestyle and they still do it better than other lines. We do not find them more expensive. As for the water issue, we just carry our own bottle and fill it throughout the week. For others this doesn't work as well. Oh and for shows, we find plenty of entertainment without paying 1 cent extra. Just meeting so many nice people is a reason to sail NCL. And when we meet people who are not so nice we avoid them. I am sure there must be a line out there that is better for you. Can you share which line offers all the features you seem to find important? 

On 1/12/2019 at 5:14 PM, Sauer-kraut said:

What entertainment other than the dinner show has a fee?

Howl at the Moon, the main stage productions and the lesser musicians and comedy are all free.

Water on the ship is fine no need to purchase the package.  Just bring a container to carry around and off the ship if you want water at a port.

simple enough. We do about the same. . 

I'm not going to lie. I'd prefer if bottled water was included like Royal does in their drink package but at the end of the day, it's not a big deal. This past July my family cruised the Escape, our first ncl cruise in many years. We'd been cruising Royal almost every year and the last few cruises with Royal I had the drink package (I like to drink on vacation). It was nice to pick up a bottle of water on the way back to the cabin at night or after finishing at the gym. It was nice and more convenient than carrying around a container that has to be refilled.

With all that being said, not only did we enjoy the Escape, but we got along without the bottled water included in the ubp (which was included in our cruise fare like it is for most people now).

We enjoyed the Escape so much that we booked the Encore for next January and it includes all 6 free at sea offers.

I compared the cruise to almost every other at the same time in January,2020 and NCL is giving the most for the least $ and it'll be a brand new cruise ship.

I don't like being nickle and dimed and don't like to spend extra for stuff that should be included so I don't.

On the Escape we didn't do any specialty dining and the only thing we paid extra for was the Choir of Man show in the supper club which was probably the best show I've seen on any cruise.

We went to all of the free theater shows (didn't love them all), went to the comedy shows and really enjoyed the dueling pianos whenever they played. While I think Royal does the Broadway style shows better, I had as much or more fun on the Escape.

We had fun, were entertained all the time and spent practically no extra money.

It's vacation, it's a cruise. I'm going to enjoy it every time.

NCL Encore 1/19/2020........come and join us, if you dare. Lmao!