Early return flight concerns -- Jewel OTS

Ok, time is coming down to the wire.  We leave for FLL for our Jewel of the Seas trip this Thurs.  I'm starting to freak out.  We booked our return flight for 11:50 on SW out of FLL for the 27th.  I normally don't book a flight before 1 p.m.; however, their next earliest flight was after 4 p.m.  

I sailed on the Serenade out of Boston this past Sept., and we did self walk off with our luggage.  It was chaos.  It took over two hours standing in line to get off the ship.  For those of you who have recently sailed on the Jewel OTS in Miami, what was your experience walking off the ship with your luggage?  I think are scheduled arrival time is 7 a.m.; however, I know it takes time for the ship to clear and that that time is not guaranteed as s**t can happen.  

Also, I am considering booking a private shuttle on Jiffy Jeff to pick us up in Miami, as the 27th is a Sunday, and I don't know if we would have to wait a considerable time after we get off the ship for a taxi, as there will be a number of ships arriving in Miami that day.

Any suggestions on what we should do?  We will be traveling with two other couples and their flight is also 11:50 a.m. out of FLL.

I would only do a private shuttle if your party is the only one in the van. I have been in a shuttle where they waited for an hour for everyone to turn up.

I have only sailed in to Miami and never had to wait long for a taxi.

I don't do self walk off so no idea how long it takes.

The ride from POM to FLL takes about 30-45+ min.  For an 11:50 flight you need to be at the airport by about 10:20, and earlier is better.  That translates into off the ship, with bags, and clear of customs and immigration by about 9:13-9:30. Should not be an issue.

Transport for 6 plus bags together is a challenge. Either split up into Uber/taxi or book private transport for your group to avoid delays. Larry 's Limos is often suggested on the FLORIDA departures board.

I went ahead and made reservations with Larry's Limo.  His price for private transportation was considerably less than Jiffy Jeff, who we are using for our transportation from the Sonesta in FLL to Port of Miami on the 18th.

Thank you.

Have a back up plan in place in case the high level temper tantrum continues and you miss your flight.

Do not assume that disembarkation will happen on time due to the unavailability of Customs and Immigration officials (There is a report concerning a ship that returned yesterday where the disembarkation was over an hour late because no clearance was given to start. Once started , the process was very slow due to the number of officers available).

Also, getting through security at the airport is also been slowed due to lack of officers.

You will have PLENTY of time...no worries.  You don't need to do the "self-carry" thing....just ask to be in one of the 1st groups off.  About mid-way thru the cruise they will ask those with "early" flights to let them know.  Plenty of cabs, or there's always Uber or Lyft......I wouldn't do a shuttle, as it takes time to fill a bus.

The airport is only about 10-12 mins from port.

5 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

You will have PLENTY of time...no worries.  You don't need to do the "self-carry" thing....just ask to be in one of the 1st groups off.  About mid-way thru the cruise they will ask those with "early" flights to let them know.  Plenty of cabs, or there's always Uber or Lyft......I wouldn't do a shuttle, as it takes time to fill a bus.

The airport is only about 10-12 mins from port.

The OP needs to get from the POM to the Fort Lauderdale airport. 

2 hours ago, LadyBerard said:

I went ahead and made reservations with Larry's Limo.  His price for private transportation was considerably less than Jiffy Jeff, who we are using for our transportation from the Sonesta in FLL to Port of Miami on the 18th.

Thank you.

Smart move!  Please let us know how it goes.  Have a great cruise. 😎

Given the current government shutdown, I would plan to be in line to walk off the ship prior to the announced time, and I would absolutely book a private shuttle. 

The shutdown may not affect you, or if may affect you greatly.  The situation seems to be very unpredictable.  Things might be fine at customs one day, and the next day the port customs officers stage a sick-out and you wait two hours.  Same for airport TSA agents.  I participate in several frequent flyer groups and there are very mixed reports about TSA from day to day.