Switching Cabin With "Neighbor" Once Onboard- Possible?

georgiapeach84

Long story short: we booked 3 rooms side by side, Aurea Cabins, 14039, 14037, 14035 on the Seaside. The passengers in the middle cabin dropped out before final payment- they were the middle cabin. When we called to confirm final payment and note the room was dropping out, we requested to switch to their room (14037- it has an adjoining door with 14039 and we have a toddler who would dearly like to run back and forth between rooms- it's my parent's room so they prefer this). MSC said they would change it at that time, but didn't. 

Is there any possibility of asking/begging/bribing the hopefully kind passengers in 14037 to switch rooms once we're on board and MSC allowing that change if they agree? 

51 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Sorry, no ..... You're dreaming. You and you're account are assigned to that cabin. Why would some strangers want to even bother for a second to go through that anyhow?

They may want to change because they are nice friendly people! Or even want to avoid having the toddler shouting from their balcony to grandad as I know ours would be doing that if they were so near but yet so far!

• Like 2

I understand that.. Would you want your sail card to say one room number and then be asked to switch rooms with someone aboard? Then they can go ahead and charge room service and god knows when else to the cabin that you're listed to be in but are not anymore unbeknown to anyone else. That sounds like a lot of fun to deal with for stranger ....... said no one ever. 

Edited by tallnthensome

15 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

16 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Sorry, no ..... You're dreaming. You and you're account are assigned to that cabin. Why would some strangers want to even bother for a second to go through that anyhow?

Your* 

16 hours ago, ellasnan said:

They may want to change because they are nice friendly people! Or even want to avoid having the toddler shouting from their balcony to grandad as I know ours would be doing that if they were so near but yet so far!

Fingers crossed! She will likely be singing Frozen songs from the balcony at 6am as a hangover wakeup call for all the late night partiers 😄 Here's to hoping we are neighbors with nice folks like you who get it! (Not to mention with the new wristbands, it shouldn't be too hard to change room details!)

IF the ship would let me do it (very doubtful, they don't want to mess with changing the accounts etc I'm sure) and I liked the cabin as well or better (I like my bed by the balcony)...as the person in between the two, I would do it.  

14 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

IF the ship would let me do it (very doubtful, they don't want to mess with changing the accounts etc I'm sure) and I liked the cabin as well or better (I like my bed by the balcony)...as the person in between the two, I would do it.  

You're really putting those people on the spot.

BTW: Georgiapeach, correcting English or spelling is against CC rules.:classic_rolleyes:

18 hours ago, ellasnan said:

They may want to change because they are nice friendly people!

They may be nice and friendly even if they don't want to switch. Even if MSC allows it, if the people don't switch, those people haven't done anything wrong and it doesn't mean that the people aren't nice or friendly.

18 hours ago, ellasnan said:

Or even want to avoid having the toddler shouting from their balcony to grandad as I know ours would be doing that if they were so near but yet so far! 

The people in the surrounding balconies houldn't have to hear a toddler shouting in either case.

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mafig said:

You should have addressed your snarky remark to Georgiapeach, not me.

Nah, Georigiapeach took the role of the boring forum teacher. You choose the annoying forum police role. Im taking care of the amazing forum troll role.

• Like 1

Shots all around, folks. No need to get your panties in a bunch. 

My original question was "is it possible". Not stating "they have to (or they're terrible people!)" or "they should (because it's the right thing to do)". 

Here's what I do know, thanks to the incredible Tim from MSC. Switching before boarding, even if we knew the people, would be difficult because of their booking system. However once on board, it's very possible and if arranged before the parties unpack, the logistical aspects of switching cards, etc is very simple. Just in case someone in the future wants to know. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, georgiapeach84 said:

My original question was "is it possible". Not stating "they have to (or they're terrible people!)" or "they should (because it's the right thing to do)". 

You also wrote about...

On 1/15/2019 at 8:21 AM, georgiapeach84 said:

...asking/begging/bribing the hopefully kind passengers in 14037 to switch rooms

...while them being kind or not has nothing to do with their answer. They could be kind and still say "no". Their answer wouldn't make them unkind. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, georgiapeach84 said:

Fingers crossed! She will likely be singing Frozen songs from the balcony at 6am as a hangover wakeup call for all the late night partiers 😄 Here's to hoping we are neighbors with nice folks like you who get it! (Not to mention with the new wristbands, it shouldn't be too hard to change room details!)

Threatening kids singing on the balcony at 6AM is very immature. The person is under no obligation to switch cabins- maybe they took that one for a reason. You threatening your obnoxious child singing every morning and probably making those people uncomfortable by approaching them is rude. 

Kids dont entitle you to special treatment or entitle you to make someone uncomfortable on their vacation! I’d be calling security also like someone else mentioned. I’m a nice person but I choose my cabin for a reason and I wouldn’t move. 

• Like 2

Can you imagine being asked to switch cabins the moment you enter your cabin the first time by a stranger? Then having to go to guest services and stand in line for an hour to accommodate them before you even got your bags unpacked with this ridiculous request?  Then you can still deal with their screaming/singing kid on the balcony next to you at 6AM and probably the rest of the day. I love how she thinks it's oh so simple, no inconvenience, and the friendly thing to do ........ Ridiculous ...... SMMFH. Here's to hoping I never get cabin neighbors like you ....... 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Can you imagine being asked to switch cabins the moment you enter your cabin the first time by a stranger? Then having to go to guest services and stand in line for an hour to accommodate them before you even got your bags unpacked with this ridiculous request?  Then you can still deal with their screaming/singing kid on the balcony next to you at 6AM and probably the rest of the day. I love how she thinks it's oh so simple, no inconvenience, and the friendly thing to do ........ Ridiculous ...... SMMFH. Here's to hoping I never get cabin neighbors like you ....... 

Funny thing is the threat of kid singing on balcony will still be heard even if the people did switch cabins - kid would still be next to them just on the other side. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, georgiapeach84 said:

Shots all around, folks. No need to get your panties in a bunch. 

Here's what I do know, thanks to the incredible Tim from MSC. Switching before boarding, even if we knew the people, would be difficult because of their booking system. However once on board, it's very possible and if arranged before the parties unpack, the logistical aspects of switching cards, etc is very simple. Just in case someone in the future wants to know. 

You shouldn’t even talk about panties in an uproar! Do you not understand the situation you are asking of the other people? For them not to unpack, go to guest services and take time out of their vacation just for you. You are planning on stalking them and pouncing on the poor people before they are even in their cabin for you. What entitles you to this special right- you keep saying you are hoping they are kind. You certainly aren’t showing kindness towards them by asking or by the attitude displayed here correcting grammar, telling people not to get panties in an uproar and getting mad by others saying it’s wrong. You then call cruise line to find out if it’s easy to switch- it might sound easy but it involves the time of the other people. 

Edited by andymattmom
  • Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 1:21 PM, georgiapeach84 said:

.....Is there any possibility of asking/begging/bribing the hopefully kind passengers in 14037 to switch rooms once we're on board and MSC allowing that change if they agree? 

A reminder that the OP asked 'is it possible' and not is it adviseable or even would you do it!

To the OP....do remember that if it were possible, from the other cruiser perspective (if they were to agree) the risk of cabin noise next door increases greatly if both cabin occupants congregate in one cabin. That is not a desireable situation for anyone....!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

You also wrote about...

...while them being kind or not has nothing to do with their answer. They could be kind and still say "no". Their answer wouldn't make them unkind. 

Hopefully kind implies their response- even if a "no", "not interested", "bad idea"- would be polite. I have no expectation other than a hail mary that it's worth asking and completely agree that they are still 100% kind by not wanting the inconvenience of switching. 

Again in regard to other posters: my question of possibility is if MSC allows this sort of thing in the chance both parties are in agreement. Also I'm the kind of neighbor who would never expect to inconvenience anyone without some form of repayment for their time and hassle- OBC, a couple bottles of nice wine, etc. 

On 1/15/2019 at 1:21 PM, georgiapeach84 said:

Long story short: we booked 3 rooms side by side, Aurea Cabins, 14039, 14037, 14035 on the Seaside. The passengers in the middle cabin dropped out before final payment- they were the middle cabin. When we called to confirm final payment and note the room was dropping out, we requested to switch to their room (14037- it has an adjoining door with 14039 and we have a toddler who would dearly like to run back and forth between rooms- it's my parent's room so they prefer this). MSC said they would change it at that time, but didn't. 

Is there any possibility of asking/begging/bribing the hopefully kind passengers in 14037 to switch rooms once we're on board and MSC allowing that change if they agree? 

Here are my thoughts. If you spoke to me before I had started to unpack and if YOU went to guest service and sorted it out before my luggage had arrived and if YOU agreed to sort out any issues arising from the swap then I would consider it. There is NO way I would be waiting at guest services with you so you would have to find me if it was sorted. However I will still have lost some of my trip time waiting on you to sort it so would expect to receive some onboard credit from you the amount being dependent on how long it took for you to get this sorted. BUT this would ONLY be if you asked nicely and did make threats of your toddler spoiling my trip.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, pinkpanther52 said:

Here are my thoughts. If you spoke to me before I had started to unpack and if YOU went to guest service and sorted it out before my luggage had arrived and if YOU agreed to sort out any issues arising from the swap then I would consider it. There is NO way I would be waiting at guest services with you so you would have to find me if it was sorted. However I will still have lost some of my trip time waiting on you to sort it so would expect to receive some onboard credit from you the amount being dependent on how long it took for you to get this sorted. BUT this would ONLY be if you asked nicely and did make threats of your toddler spoiling my trip.

Thank you! This is truly a helpful response. 

(Also I have no intention of making any threats to anyone having my toddler be a brat- and for 99% of the time, she's not. And the 1% of the time she does, she gets spanked and time out. Tricky thing on a ship- time out can't happen in our stateroom or balcony. But kids sing, laugh, and do kid things. They should not climb on people's stuff or act like drunk banshees - to be fair I've had far more incidents regarding inebriated adults on balconies or staterooms than any other people's children).