New ship for Regent-2023

cbb

NCL is building a whole new class of ships, Oceania is, and now Regent with another. 

Cruising must be very profitable-- lots of choices for us! 

Really hope they don't get rid of the R ships--we love them and spending time in our cabin, no matter how fab, is not for us.

Edited by cbb
  • Like 1

We’ll have to give the new ship a look. Already considering a Regent cruise in 2021 depending upon how it plays out. Since we always take the Premium Drinks Package and fly business class on the long hauls ( 10+ hour single leg), Regent has priced out pretty much equivalent to Oceania without addressing any shore tours.

Not being a fan of Oceania shore tours, I doubt that Regent’s would be any better. I haven’t really seen any comparisons of the two by experienced travelers ( as opposed to cruisers). 

19 hours ago, cbb said:

NCL is building a whole new class of ships, Oceania is, and now Regent with another. 

Cruising must be very profitable-- lots of choices for us! 

Really hope they don't get rid of the R ships--we love them and spending time in our cabin, no matter how fab, is not for us.

Think it is time to retire the R ships.   They have gotten old and stale and are too small for what most people want in today's cruises.  Were great for their time, but that has passed.  Just my thoughts as we have been on them 6 or 7 times and will try to not go again. 

RJB-

I was on one of the R ships this past year when I overheard a senior officer telling a passenger that he hoped they always had R class ships in O's fleet.

He patted the wall and said 'this is all steel and can be fixed while at sea if there are any problems unlike many of the new builds' (not an exact quote) and that "they just aren't building them like this anymore" (which is an exact quote)  and said ships' engineers love the R ships.

We are at a high level in the O club and have only been on Riviera once--all other cruises have been on R ships.  We're on Nautica for 2 mos this summer and Insignia for ATW20--so we love the R ships but as you say 'just my thoughts."

"yes" to your question,  pinotlover, but not participating in ccritic roll calls for these cruises--no reason, just haven't.  Lots of ports we're doing our own thing.  Between our OBC and OB$ we're spending it on some shorex.

23 minutes ago, cbb said:

He patted the wall and said 'this is all steel and can be fixed while at sea if there are any problems unlike many of the new builds' (not an exact quote) and that "they just aren't building them like this anymore" (which is an exact quote)  and said ships' engineers love the R ships.

Engineers always love the older ships, it is the accountants who eventually turn against them.

Certain passengers simply won't be satisfied by anything less than the newest and the latest;  older ships lose them by definition (we've heard from a few of these in this thread) 

Then there is the bugbear of replacement parts which for any mechanical object become scarcer (and therefore more expensive) as time goes by.  The large-ish R class may avoid this issue for a time if one of the less profitable sisters gets junked for parts, but in any case the typical economic life of a cruise ship is between 25 and 35 years. 

Regatta is 20 years old, now.

• Like 1

yeah, i figure O is getting ready to let the R ships sail off into the sunset one of these days, hence the new builds for O. 

I was hoping that somewhere there were people who loved to manufacture replacement parts but I guess the cost of doing that for O would be high.

I know what you mean about replacement parts as several of my friends are getting new hips and knees!! 

6 hours ago, RJB said:

Think it is time to retire the R ships.   They have gotten old and stale and are too small for what most people want in today's cruises.  Were great for their time, but that has passed.  Just my thoughts as we have been on them 6 or 7 times and will try to not go again. 

3 hours ago, cbb said:

yeah, i figure O is getting ready to let the R ships sail off into the sunset one of these days, hence the new builds for O. 

I was hoping that somewhere there were people who loved to manufacture replacement parts but I guess the cost of doing that for O would be high.

I know what you mean about replacement parts as several of my friends are getting new hips and knees!! 

I'm not sure they would be spending 100mil on them if they didn't have plans beyond a year or so with them. I'm pretty sure the leaders make long term plans beyond the end of their nose. 

Oceania will keep the R ships as long as they’re making a decent profit on their operations. Once that appears to be fading they will retire them individually as demand requires. They won’t just retire them with out financial reasoning. My guess is at least a 2-3 will still be around in a decade . 

well, we are personally doing all we can to keep O making a profit on their R ships.  Have no real desire to sail on any of the others and think that you're right  that 2 or 3 will still sail for years.   

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Oceania will keep the R ships as long as they’re making a decent profit on their operations. Once that appears to be fading they will retire them individually as demand requires. They won’t just retire them with out financial reasoning. My guess is at least a 2-3 will still be around in a decade . 

I hope that I will still be around in a decade to decide which ships to sail on.   Great that we can all be happy with whatever we do. 

On 1/16/2019 at 10:30 AM, cbb said:

My guess is that the R ships will be with us for many years to come. I doubt the management would have purchased the Sirena and immediately spent $40 million on her for refurbishment. Now, with the Next refurbishment at $25 million per ship,  I would find it unlikely that O would be planning on selling them anytime soon. At most they are middle aged ships, with another 20+ years of sailing ahead of them.

On 1/17/2019 at 6:06 AM, RJB said:

I Dont Agree at all and have several cruises booked on the redone R ships..

Jancruz1