MedallionNet VS Unlimited Internet Question

HBCcruiser

We are sailing April 6, 2019 on the Royal. I purchased the unlimited internet months ago. Now the only option for internet available for purchase is the MedallionNet. Royal is changing to MedallionNet.

My question is this: Do I keep my original purchase of unlimited internet or cancel it? Is MedallionNet all I need for streaming? Any insights are greatly appreciated.

2508C1FC-67D4-439D-A375-DED00A654A9D.png

2359F202-C3FA-4E36-9310-E59D227355E2.jpeg

You can cancel the 680 internet minutes and just keep MedallionNet.  That will give you the fast Wi-Fi for your entire trip and you should be able to stream videos.  The one thing that is not clear is whether you can only use one device at a time, or if you can only use one device.  If you call Princess 10 times, you will get  5 agents telling you one thing and 5 telling you something different.  There should be better answers before your cruise.  

• Like 2

Once you start using MedallionNet you will be spoiled and will never look back! It’s blazing fast, stable and very user friendly. 

Cancel the minutes you’ve purchased (although I expect that as you’ve purchased MedallionNet, it will be cancelled automatically) and enjoy your MedallionNet package!

You have purchased two packages. This will enable you to log on to two separate devices simultaneously.  If you have three or more devices, you either buy the number of packages that match the number of your devices or alternatively, log off of a device you are not using at that moment and log on to another. 

Easy Math:

One Medallion Package = log on to one device at a time. 

Let us know your impressions. 

Edited by Ep010835
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

Once you start using MedallionNet you will be spoiled and will never look back! It’s blazing fast, stable and very user friendly. 

Cancel the minutes you’ve purchased (although I expect that as you’ve purchased MedallionNet, it will be cancelled automatically) and enjoy your MedallionNet package!

You have purchased two packages. This will enable you to log on to two separate devices simultaneously.  If you have three or more devices, you either buy the number of packages that match the number of your devices or alternatively, log off of a device you are not using at that moment and log on to another. 

Easy Math:

One Medallion Package = log on to one device at a time. 

Let us know your impressions. 

Thank you. Yes, I want internet for both of us. It’s odd that the “minutes” are more expensive than the better MedallionNet. Why is that?

43 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Thank you. Yes, I want internet for both of us. It’s odd that the “minutes” are more expensive than the better MedallionNet. Why is that?

The magic of the math of Princess!

8 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

I forgot to mention. Definitely buy it pre-cruise. You’ll save some money that way. 

Yes, I did, for both of us. Should I cancel the other “minutes” or wait to make sure the MedallionNet is really up and running on the Royal? Decisions, decisions! 

There will be an onboard "Internet Manager" who will help you work through the decisions. Whatever you decide. Even it it's wrong. S/he will make it right if you choose incorrectly. They fixed my account after I made a small "oops". 

The line to see that individual will be long but they will make it right for you when you finally make it to the head of the line. 

Don't stress! 😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HBCcruiser said:

Yes, I did, for both of us. Should I cancel the other “minutes” or wait to make sure the MedallionNet is really up and running on the Royal? Decisions, decisions! 

It is already up and running on the Royal!  

34 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I haven't been keeping up with any changes lately.  Does this affect the elite perk of X number of free minutes?

Yes, you can still just use the elite minutes if you don’t want to have more Wi-Fi access than those minutes.  To me, the cost to have the MedallionNet seems pretty reasonable, so I’ll give up my free minutes to have unlimited Wi-Fi while I’m onboard.

24 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Are you currently onboard or recently off the Royal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m boarding on Saturday and have seen several posts from people onboard last week or currently onboard and they have confirmed that MedallionNet it is up and working great.  This is just for the MedallionNet wi-fi, not the medallion that will replace the cruise cards.  That will go live on Royal in April ... supposedly ... maybe ... at least that’s the latest guess.

I’m boarding on Saturday and have seen several posts from people onboard last week or currently onboard and they have confirmed that MedallionNet it is up and working great.  This is just for the MedallionNet wi-fi, not the medallion that will replace the cruise cards.  That will go live on Royal in April ... supposedly ... maybe ... at least that’s the latest guess.

Great, thanks! Please let us know how things are on the Royal. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are Elite and get free minutes, didn't I hear that you can get a discount on the MedallionNet?  I don't see that option in Cruise Personalizer.  Does it have to be done onboard?  Do you need to give up the free minutes to get a discount?  There seems to be a lack of information and sometimes conflicting information in places (like Facebook)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mary Ann 2 said:

If you are Elite and get free minutes, didn't I hear that you can get a discount on the MedallionNet?  I don't see that option in Cruise Personalizer.  Does it have to be done onboard?  Do you need to give up the free minutes to get a discount?  There seems to be a lack of information and sometimes conflicting information in places (like Facebook)

There have been a couple of comments on that but nothing in writing etc yet that I know of.

I gave up/lost the minutes with my unlimited package however with the great pre cruise price I got I didn't care.

My price had nothing to do with my minutes.

My CC friend is currently onboard, and I just corresponded with him.  He indicated that the cost was $52 as long as people signed Up on day one. He is not using the package, as he is using his free Elite mins instead. He indicates that the Net is really fast, but he also indicates that the log-in logout is somewhat problematic. In fact, he indicates it is really messed up.   Instead of logout.com they’ve made a new site called signout.com, and it was difficult to get to that page.  I’ve asked him to take a pic of the rates in the Internet Cafe.  

Apparently, the offer of $52 unlimited popped up when he went to sign up for his freebie minutes, so maybe the $52 for 7 days is just for platinums and Elites. On the Princess site the rate of $59 is listed.  

I will have 150 free minutes on my next cruise from my Platinum status.  After I use those minutes, will I be able to purchase Medallion Net at $9.99 a day for the remaining days of the cruise?  Or do you have to purchase it for the full cruise at $59.99 (the way you have to purchase the drink package)?

24 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

My CC friend is currently onboard, and I just corresponded with him.  He indicated that the cost was $52 as long as people signed Up on day one. He is not using the package, as he is using his free Elite mins instead. He indicates that the Net is really fast, but he also indicates that the log-in logout is somewhat problematic. In fact, he indicates it is really messed up.   Instead of logout.com they’ve made a new site called signout.com, and it was difficult to get to that page.  I’ve asked him to take a pic of the rates in the Internet Cafe.  

Apparently, the offer of $52 unlimited popped up when he went to sign up for his freebie minutes, so maybe the $52 for 7 days is just for platinums and Elites. On the Princess site the rate of $59 is listed.  

Will it keep you logged in? I’ll only have one device needing Wi-Fi. 

17 minutes ago, pcsunlover said:

I will have 150 free minutes on my next cruise from my Platinum status.  After I use those minutes, will I be able to purchase Medallion Net at $9.99 a day for the remaining days of the cruise?  Or do you have to purchase it for the full cruise at $59.99 (the way you have to purchase the drink package)?

I would pay the $59 pre cruise then you will have unlimited for the entire cruise and not worry about burning through minutes.

I think it works out to about $6 to $7 per day at the discount price?

I stayed logged in 24/7 with unlimited.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I would pay the $59 pre cruise then you will have unlimited for the entire cruise and not worry about burning through minutes.

I think it works out to about $6 to $7 per day at the discount price?

I stayed logged in 24/7 with unlimited.

Thank you, that’s what I was thinking. It sounds like the free minutes won’t be much of a perk any more unless they offer a reduced price for MedallionNet for Elite and Platinum.