Grits Anywhere?

Just now, TravisP said:

If the person cooking them puts a little effort into cooking them, they can be far from bland. All it takes is adding in a few more ingredients when cooking them and not going lite on the salt. I do not skimp on butter when cooking them. I also subtatue half of the water for heavy cream. And sometimes I will add in some cream cheese when cooking. 

And the actual point is...still the same.  They are very bland...until you doctor them up (and I like what you add to them...sounds yummy!).   😉 

1 minute ago, island lady said:

And the actual point is...still the same.  They are very bland...until you doctor them up (and I like what you add to them...sounds yummy!).   😉 

The biggest issue with places that serve bland grits, they do not put near enough salt in them. If they would just put the proper amount of salt in them when they cook them, they will be very tasteful. And it taste much better when the proper amount of salt is used when cooking vs adding salt to it after it is cooked. 

2 minutes ago, TravisP said:

The biggest issue with places that serve bland grits, they do not put near enough salt in them. If they would just put the proper amount of salt in them when they cook them, they will be very tasteful. And it taste much better when the proper amount of salt is used when cooking vs adding salt to it after it is cooked. 

I agree....though I have to watch my salt intake...already on blood pressure meds.  😮  Love salt, it does not like me.  😞 

7 minutes ago, TravisP said:

Cooking grits that do not taste bland is no different than most everything you cook. If you don't properly season most anything you cook, it will turn out bland. 

You should try the homemade chili I just made...definitely not bland.   😱👹

Hey, I just noticed you are from SC....love those blue corn grits from up there.  Takes a long time to cook...but oh so good!  🙂 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

Many years ago my aunt and uncle were traveling in the South, and at breakfast one morning my aunt told the waitress she couldn’t decide what to have for breakfast because she liked A, but B came with grits, which she also liked. The waitress replied that she’d be glad to bring her a side of grits with A. She did, and my aunt sprinkled sugar on them. The waitress harrumphed and said, “If I knew you were going to do THAT, I never would have given them to you!”

I had had shrimp and grits at a restaurant here in NJ on Saturday. Now as good as the one at Hominy Grill in Charleston, but still delicious. 

7 hours ago, island lady said:

Great story!  Love it!  We do the same thing, and prefer to try the local food, if we like it...score!  If not...we don't eat the rest.  Fun and interesting to try it.  I just make sure to ask how spicy it is.  😮 

I like spicy, that that is not a worry.

I was in Nigeria in October, and every time I was eating they would warn me about how spicy the food way.

I found it moderately spicy.  Of course I TOLD them, it was very mild. 😄

I used to watch Top Chef a lot.  One challenge, they had to do a food truck outside a club, for the after club crowd (Miami).  The winning dish was shrimp and grits.

I looked up the recipe, and there was something like 20 ingredients.  NOT basic grits.

On 1/29/2019 at 7:08 AM, TravisP said:

I love grits but usually stay away from them when I am not in the Southeast states, I would imagine the grits on the ship are very bland and need tons of butter and salt to get them to even remotely taste like grits you get back home. 

There is an art to making grits.  They are best made with some cream/milk and yes, the ship's grits always need lots and lots of butter and salt.  I personally don't like pepper in mine or cheese, but a lot of people do.  They are also good with bacon bits.  You have to find someone who really knows how to cook them properly.  They should never be gloppy or thick, but smooth and creamy, not soupy.  Stay away from the instant ones...those are not grits.

15 hours ago, TravisP said:

If the person cooking them puts a little effort into cooking them, they can be far from bland. All it takes is adding in a few more ingredients when cooking them and not going lite on the salt. I do not skimp on butter when cooking them. I also subtatue half of the water for heavy cream. And sometimes I will add in some cream cheese when cooking. 

And maybe add some shrimp and a dash of hot sauce!

15 hours ago, SRF said:

I like spicy, that that is not a worry.

I was in Nigeria in October, and every time I was eating they would warn me about how spicy the food way.

I found it moderately spicy.  Of course I TOLD them, it was very mild. 😄

Yup, the DH loves the spicy stuff too.  Not a fan of peppers...but I do love wasabi...go figure.  😉 

18 hours ago, SG65CB said:

You mean Waffle House, right?

Royal Carib grits and most Waffle House grits are the same.  OK, but not great.   

And I REALLY like Waffle House.

4 hours ago, island lady said:

And of course Wasabi is simply Japanese horseradish...the hot stuff!  Yum!  

Actually virtually all "wasabi" you will find is regular horse radish that has been colored and doctored.

REAL wasabi is fairly expensive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasabi

"Due to issues that limit the Japanese Wasabi plant's mass cultivation and thus increases its price and decreases availability, outside of Japan the Western Horseradish plant is generally used in place of the Japanese Horseradish. This version is commonly referred to as "Western Wasabi" in Japan."