Who does suites best HAL or Princess?

beachys

Looking for some opinions and yes I do realize that it may vary by person.

We are doing Alaska in July/August of 2020 and the two lines we are considering are Princess and Holland America.  I've been on neither of these lines.

We are going to get a suite and we are just trying to decide which line to choose.  Along those lines who do you think does suite class better? and why?

I tried to search this topic, but I couldn't find any answers from people who had actually done both.

We moved from Princess to HAL a long time ago because Princess did nothing for Suite pax, and HAL did a lot. We sailed in a Suite on Sun Princess (older ship with a few less amenities for Suites) 3 years ago. We sail in HAL suites frequently.

I would say Princess has stepped up their game some recently (which we don't have experience with)...to be pretty competitive with HAL.

If you are also doing a land tour with the Alaska Cruise both HAL and Princess share most of the resorts and hotels in Denali, Anchorage and Fairbanks. Both were pretty much the first cruise lines to sail to Alaska going back to the late 1960's. We have never tried Princess, but for similar itineraries, HAL always seems to have the best deals with larger cabins like the HAL Signature Suites in smaller ships. We are taking our 10 year old grandson to Alaska in July and for a Signature Suite not one cruise line came close to cabin size and price with a third person in our cabin. HAL is not full of kids but if you are taking them HAL has the best deals.

Edited by terrydtx

Holland America has different kinds of suites, and the same kind can be very different on a different class of ship.

There are Pinnacle Suites, which are the biggest, followed by Neptune, Signature (on some classes of ships), and Vista suites. As the class of ship gets newer, the size of the same kind of suite tends to get smaller.
It would help to know what ship(s) you are looking at, and which type of suite.

In general, Carnival Corps lines don't have very good suites programs.  HAL and Princess are not 2 lines I look to when wanting good suite perks.  In my opinion, NCL and RCCL brands do A LOT more for suites, including offering suites only restaurants and lounges that actually have a view.  I recommend looking to them first.

However, if Glacier Bay is a must for your cruise, I recommend sticking with NCL.  

Or, since you're not skimping on price, consider a higher end line like Regent, Viking Ocean, Oceania, etc.

Edited by Aquahound

I'm not considering NCL nor RCCL. I've been on both and not interested in them for this trip.  

The ships I'm considering are Grand and Royal Princess and Nordam and Westerdam for our one way options. 

If we are doing round trip it's between Ruby Princess and Koningsdam.

31 minutes ago, beachys said:

I'm not considering NCL nor RCCL. I've been on both and not interested in them for this trip.  

The ships I'm considering are Grand and Royal Princess and Nordam and Westerdam for our one way options. 

You will be disappointed in the size of the balconies on Royal Princess.  Shoot for an aft deck five on Westerdam.  You can host a party for 25 there.  Really, you can.  The other suites balconies on Westerdam are probably three times the size of the balconies on Royal Princess.  

1 hour ago, beachys said:

We have been in suites on HAL and on the Grand Princess about 3-4 years ago. Princess has laundry included and a breakfast restaurant for suite passengers, as does HAL. Princess does not have a lot of suites and they go fast; HAL has a larger selection. One thing we really liked about Princess was that there was a curtain between the living area and the bed area, wish HAL had that. Otherwise we prefer HAL; the Neptune Lounge (not available to Signature Suites) and the Pinnacle Grill breakfasts are features we enjoy. I haven't been on the Koningsdam, but from what I've heard, the walkable promenade deck is very narrow in parts, and lifeboats may block some of the sea views, which might matter in Alaska. Maybe others on CC could verify or clarify this.

Was going to recommend the Westerdam over the Noordam because the overdue dry dock for the latter is not being done until late 2019, but then noticed your trip is in 2020, so either one should be fine.

Edited by PSR

54 minutes ago, beachys said:

I've cruised the twin sisters of all those ships.  In this case, I recommend Noordam or Westerdam.  They're sisters, so they're almost exactly the same.  

Princess Grand Class ships are very crowded, have tiny staterooms and a very cramped dining room.  Royal Class is AWFUL for Alaska.  There isn't one single lounge with exterior views.  None!  The only place to sit and look out panoramic windows is the buffet.  Additionally, there is no exterior promenade deck that wraps the whole ship.  There are a few sections with chairs, but a very narrow walkway between that looks like you're walking through a cargo ship.  

I'm not just saying this because this is the HAL board, but HAL's Vista Class ships are much better for Alaska.  They're less crowded and have the Crows Nest Lounge.  Oh, and HAL's balconies are much nicer and larger than Princess'.  On Royal, the balconies are so narrow, you hit your knees on the glass when sitting.  They're pathetic.  

But again, don't expect much in the way of suite perks. 

I have no experience to make a comparison...

But, having sailed Princess, and Alaska...  will comment just in case this might be helpful.

I would also agree that Glacier Bay is a must,  and many lines/ships do not have the permits for Glacier Bay.

Of course, Princess does...  I believe these HAL sailings do as well.   Princess is big in Alaska, and do it very well.  The author of "A Wolf Called Romeo' was featured on our cruise.

We sailed Alaska on the CORAL princess.  I like the Southbound itinerary.

PRO: This is a great ship to sail Alaska.

Has a promenade deck. (which we spent time on). And upper more forward viewing, (more crowded) 

where the National Park Naturalist and others may speak.

CON:  Yes, this is a smaller older ship...  Has a more low-key vibe.   These things may be similar to the HAL ships that are in consideration???  I think that might be a fair assumption.  But, just for me, I might enjoy a slightly larger ship and a little more VIBE.  

Instead of the similar ATRIUM...  the Princess Royal class ship will have an impressive Piazza which is a real focus of entertainment and activity.  But, again, that comes along with the drawback of less outdoor viewing, etc.  Which might be a priority for some, especially in Alaska.

As far as the suites:  one would have to compare the types of suites, and the ones available.

There should be plenty of videos and photos to look at.

The balconies on Princess, especially the Royal, can be quite small.

I am not sure if you would be able to look at details and find a suite that does have a much nicer balcony. That might be an important detail.

I can't compare suite perks, as I have no experience.   It sounds like they might be fairly similar.

I am not sure some slight/moderate difference in suite perks would/should be a deciding factor between these options.

Happy Planning!

Edited by Wishing on a star

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

I have no experience to make a comparison...

But, having sailed Princess, and Alaska...  will comment just in case this might be helpful.

I would also agree that Glacier Bay is a must,  and many lines/ships do not have the permits for Glacier Bay.

Of course, Princess does...  I believe these HAL sailings do as well.   Princess is big in Alaska, and do it very well.  The author of "A Wolf Called Romeo' was featured on our cruise.

We sailed Alaska on the CORAL princess.  I like the Southbound itinerary.

PRO: This is a great ship to sail Alaska.

Has a promenade deck. (which we spent time on). And upper more forward viewing, (more crowded) 

where the National Park Naturalist and others may speak.

CON:  Yes, this is a smaller older ship...  Has a more low-key vibe.   These things may be similar to the HAL ships that are in consideration???  I think that might be a fair assumption.  But, just for me, I might enjoy a slightly larger ship and a little more VIBE.  

Instead of the similar ATRIUM...  the Princess Royal class ship will have an impressive Piazza which is a real focus of entertainment and activity.  But, again, that comes along with the drawback of less outdoor viewing, etc.  Which might be a priority for some, especially in Alaska.

As far as the suites:  one would have to compare the types of suites, and the ones available.

There should be plenty of videos and photos to look at.

The balconies on Princess, especially the Royal, can be quite small.

I am not sure if you would be able to look at details and find a suite that does have a much nicer balcony. That might be an important detail.

I can't compare suite perks, as I have no experience.   It sounds like they might be fairly similar.

I am not sure some slight/moderate difference in suite perks would/should be a deciding factor between these options.

Happy Planning!

HAL has as many Glacier Bay permits as Princess does. Between the two lines, they have about 80% of the permits.

HAL has healthy promenade decks on all but KDam and N. Statendam.

HAL opens the bow for scenic cruising, and has forward facing decks.

It is Royal Princess, not Princess Royal.

Ummmmm........    Thanks, but yes,I do know most all of that.   That is why I mentioned these things.

But, hey, thanks for quoting my post anyhow.

And...  Yes I was also correct when I was posting about the Princess Royal CLASS ships.

Not Princess Royal.   But, of coarse, with any basic comprehension, including the Royal Princess.

I am well aware that the name of the one ship is Royal Princess...  But there are now several current and on-the-way Royal CLASS ships.  All with the Atrium and with quite small balconies.

When considering HAL and have flexibility on dates look at the Westerdam over the Noordam. The Westerdam has had the more recent dry docking and the Signature and up suites have been upgraded with new furniture, large wall mounted interactive flat panel  TV's and other things. The Noordam isn't scheduled for their next dry dock until after the Alaska season this fall to add the upgrades.