Mariner Pins

ore-ee-gun

I have only received the big campaign button once(did not wear), never any Mariner luggage tags(and I just received my latest docs this week), and no other type of pins. I am looking forward to receiving my 25 day pin this coming cruise, providing I do receive it :).

Marie

I have found that when I arrive by air, and am being met by a HAL representative, that the tacky Mariner pin is a quick way for them to find me! :D

It was almost a problem at airport security once, though. :( It was in my documents folder, which was with my carry-on. Security knew they saw something with a pin and pulled me aside to open the bag. I never thought of the pin, which was in a zippered pocket, and security---finding nothing else---shrugged their shoulders and sent me through.

Kind of scary, now.

Agree Ruth - once 'found' by the HAL Rep. we ditch them!

At check in scanning at our departure airport, we have them in our jacket pockets and dump them into the trays provided for coins etc. Never had a problem.

I was also wondering... once you have at least your "25 day" pin, do you have to wear it to attend any future Mariner Ceremony get-togethers.

You are not "required' to wear your pins anywhere. I like to wear mine throughout the cruise, however, in case someone wants to ask a question, as often happens when someone sees the pin. Probably the only time I wouldn't wear the pin is with my formal outfits (unless that happens to be the same time as the Mariner's reception). Once you get your 100-day Medallion, however, don't forget to wear that to the Mariner's reception. You will then be allowed to be seated in a "special" section of the reception close to the awards ceremony, but only if you are wearing your medallion...not just your pin.

Huh? I've never seen that.

Guess we've just been lucky, Ruth. Maybe it was because DH and I started cruising at different times so had different number of days? Or maybe I just look like someone who might forget to bring them?

Maybe it was because DH and I started cruising at different times so had different number of days?

I buy that one.

I was seven days ahead of my husband. When I was to receive my 110-day medallion (the old system) my husband didn't yet qualify. Imagine my shock when his name was called for the presentation!

He wanted that medallion so badly. Turned out to be his last cruise, so I'm glad HAL gave it to him.

We don't even bother to take the metal mariner pins that come with the documents anymore. Years ago, before 9/11, I was holding my documents in my hand while going through security at the pier. I kept setting off the alarms. After a couple of attempts, it dawned on me that the metal pins were setting off the surity alrams. Sure enough, when we opened the documents and saw the pins and I handed them over to the person incharge, no more alarms going off.

Hmmm, I didn't even get any pins with my docs this time and I don't know whatever happened to my old pins. I DID have one on my luggage but removed it when I had to fly somewhere.

That gold star is the one that gets you through the doors and the white gloved service though.;)

I remove that as soon as I get to my suite. What about other suite pax, do you keep yours on all day until dinner or do you remove them after you get to the Neptune or before?

Just received docs for February cruise on the Rotterdam. There are no longer separate Mariner bag tags. They've been incorporated into the luggage tags and there is a blue stripe above the HAL logo that says Mariner.

My luggage tags have a gray "Ms Volendam" printed on them with a gold picture of the HAL insignia. What's that mean? Nothing that says Mariner that I can see. Guess I've been demoted. :confused:

My luggage tags have a gray "Ms Volendam" printed on them with a gold picture of the HAL insignia. What's that mean? Nothing that says Mariner that I can see. Guess I've been demoted. :confused:

Doesn't mean anything; sounds like the new-style tags HAL is now using. Take a look, old style is on the left, new-style on the right. If this is your 2nd HAL cruise and up, they should have "Mariner" in blue on there

196842458_HALluggagetags.jpg.9655a7f432d830b05a3fede8fdaa0a54.jpg

Doesn't mean anything; sounds like the new-style tags HAL is now using. Take a look, old style is on the left, new-style on the right. If this is your 2nd HAL cruise and up, they should have "Mariner" in blue on there

Nope, no "Mariner" on my tags and I've cruised several times on HAL. Yup, I've been demoted! :eek: ;)

I totally agree with all the posters above,I remember a few cruises back I received my "bronze medalion" for I think i was 100 days at sea,can you imagine wearing this gaudy thing anywhere? It is probably 4 inches in diameter...instead I think instead of giving us these pins and gaudy neckwear, they should do as other lines do and reward their past mariners with coupon books, true saving on trips or even a chair by the pool:D

capn

Guest Celestia

Weird.....I received Mariner luggage tags on my first HAL cruise (all this discussion made me go dig them out and check).

The tacky big pins go in the wastebasket. A smaller pin, due on the upcoming cruise, will go with my collection of tacpins from all over the world. Don't think I'd wear it on a future cruise, and I should I be fortunate enough to 'earn' a medallion, that would be yet another item to trigger overweight luggage on the flight home IMO.

I agree, if HAL wants to reward repeat customers, I'd prefer drink coupons (especially now that the only specialty coffees I'd be interested in are now ExtraFee items) or some other token financial incentive, over giant faux medallions.

FW&FS,

Celestia

I have a whole big collection of buttons. I think everyone should send their buttons to Vic:D

Some where I read and it may even been the begining of this thread that you can tell the second time HAL cruisers because that is exactly when I wore mine our second HAL cruise. After that they have been left at home with the rest of them:D

I know I am in the minority and I'm probably not very cool. I'm definitely a country bumpkin. I like the shape and size of the pin. I like the blue/white/gold colors and I REALLY like the HAL logo. I wear the pin on the strap of my carry-on bag. My DH pinned it on his hat or his camera bag.

While you're waiting to board the ship it is a good conversation starter, as in "Which ship have you sailed on before?" "Which HAL ship is your favorite?" "What is the button for and where can I get one like it?" (I asked that when our TA did not give them to us for our second and third cruises. That's how I learned to ask for and look for them in our docs.)

By the way, we got a button on our only Princess cruise too. It had flowers on it. No where as distinctive as the HAL button.

I will happily wear my Mariner button as I board for my 10th HAL cruise in October.

Well I guess that makes two of us. My husband doesn't wear it but either I have it pinned on me or on my bag and yes it is a conversation starter. I get so excited about the little things in life and my husband wonders when I will grow up I will be 60 in August and I am never growing up:D

So everyone when you see us just say hi!!!!!

Kathy

I did the same thing - wore my Mariner's Pin on my 2nd cruise like it was a badge of honor. 3rd HAL cruise, I didn't bother - just asked the nice folks at the curb where Deluxe Suite passengers go!

Will probably give the next ones to either my Dad or 4 1/2 yo nephew - they both like wearing such things...

I did the same thing - wore my Mariner's Pin on my 2nd cruise like it was a badge of honor. 3rd HAL cruise, I didn't bother - just asked the nice folks at the curb where Deluxe Suite passengers go!

Will probably give the next ones to either my Dad or 4 1/2 yo nephew - they both like wearing such things...

You ought to send some to Vic in NJ;)

You ought to send some to Vic in NJ;)

When I'm at the pier w/ Vic in NYC, I'll make sure that the HAL folks checking us in give him plenty of Mariner's Pins!

;)

(and he'd better wear them!!!)

Archived