Differences Between Cruise Lines.

whitford

I know no one ever stereotypes but if we did how would you describe the major cruise lines in one sentence? For example Old people and and nothing to do after 10pm, lots of roving band of tweens/teens, great food, too big (too many cruisers) or too small, visits great ports. Trying to find a good fit going forward.

Too  many choices out there

I would  make a list of the  things  you want in a cruise  experience 

then your budget

Itinerary

Things  that would make you crazy on a ship

EG: 1000 + kids

then go talk to a travel agent in person  to get  a list of  suitable  lines  for your needs/wants

JMO

• Like 1

Stereotyping is very one dimensional. What may seem "loud" or "not classy" to one person might be considered "good energy/fun" and "not stuffy" by someone else. Plus many folks on CC repeat stereotypes they've heard from others without personal experience. 

I agree the approach suggested by the above poster would be a much better way to approach it.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Too  many choices out there

I would  make a list of the  things  you want in a cruise  experience 

then your budget

Itinerary

Things  that would make you crazy on a ship

EG: 1000 + kids

then go talk to a travel agent in person  to get  a list of  suitable  lines  for your needs/wants

JMO

All good suggestions.

And Cruise Critic also has a good starting place article:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=66

• Like 1

I agree with others - a one sentence summary is meaningless.    Besides differences between cruise lines, there are major differences in ships within a cruise line, the length of the cruises, time of year, destination.     Figure out what you want, then compare reviews for trips that are similar to the one you want.   

• Like 3

The other factor to consider is WHEN you're cruising.  If you're cruising during a week when a lot of schools are on break (either college or grade school) the ship can have an entirely different "feel" as there's a vastly different crowd.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, whitford said:

I know no one ever stereotypes but if we did how would you describe the major cruise lines in one sentence? For example Old people and and nothing to do after 10pm, lots of roving band of tweens/teens, great food, too big (too many cruisers) or too small, visits great ports. Trying to find a good fit going forward.

I have sailed three different lines and don't find them that different.  I think the differences had to do with the itinerary.  The Alaska cruise I went on had a different type of clientele than my Caribbean cruises have had. Food was mostly similar.  Differences in activities.  Alaska was more excursion driven and there seemed to be fewer trivia contests and karaoke.  

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 12:05 PM, whitford said:

I'm not sure this would be a good way to find a good fit.  I find most of what you are describing above is dependent not on the cruise line but on several other factors such as length of cruise, timing of sailing, itinerary, cruise cost, and even embarkation port.  I could probably find a sailing on a ship in mostly all of the main stream lines that would meet each of the descriptions you have above.

Agree with most of the other posts, hal seems to have oldest passengers in general we no entertainment past 1130 . We do mostly rccl and each class of ship is a little different, recently did one of the largest ships oasis loads of entertainment but loads of children.