Just Booked a Cabana on the Edge

CanadianTourist

I appreciate the input from those who have already sailed on the Edge. I was hoping the cabanas would have more privacy (rumor was they would block the walkway during mid-day, but apparently that causes problems elsewhere, so they have to let people through).

The only benefit I still see from the cabanas are:

1) Dedicated place to lounge that is your space

2) More personal services
3) For those of us who have bad knees and other issues getting up from the normal low pool loungers, the higher cabana couch seating looks MUCH more comfortable and accessible to me.

We actually had a wonderful day in a cabana on Dec 2, the first commercial Edge cruise, but they blocked off the ends so that people couldn't go through. People complained (understandably) so the next day they opened up the ends and someone who was posting on my live thread was not happy (he had booked in part because of the wonderful day I had described on my thread).

It was a port day and wind wasn't an issue. It was very comfortable, beautifully set up and the staff were great. We were their first paying customers and they couldn't do enough for us. We ordered cocktails with our package, had a lovely bottle of wine, a bucket of any type of beer we wanted (my DH wanted an IPA so they searched for IPAs and brought him 6 on ice). Someone offered ice cold towels as the day got hotter. Maike, one of our favorite people on the Edge, was our cabana butler and we had a lot of fun chatting with him, my DH read and I posted on my thread. Maike took our lunch order and we had a relaxing, delicious lunch.

We paid $400 for a full cabana, using OBC. Pricey, but I was on a mission to try as many things on the Edge in those 7 days (and worth it to us , especially since we had plenty of OBC to use up).

I talked to Maike a few weeks ago when I was back onboard (he was closing up the cabanas for the day). I asked if they still left the ends open so everyone could walk through and he said they did.  I asked if guests were upset when they found out that people would be walking by all day and he said that they warn people ahead of time - he said people have been enjoying them. I did notice the wind when I went through there. We were on a windy cruise.

Those of us watching the build noticed the walkway through there and couldn't imagine that they wouldn't have an alternate route for passersby (it is the path to the Mast Grill). Likely they will rework things on the Apex to block the wind and maybe have an alternate pathway. 

OP, I would say for $150 (either you have a half cabana or they've cut the price by a lot!) is a pretty god deal for the beer, wine, tons of bottles water (and can have sodas) - we took leftover stuff back to our fridge (two people can't drink that much). You will have some nice fruit and a great lunch. As long as you know that people will be walking by (and may stop to ask you about the cabana) and that there may be some wind and can deal with it, you should be able to enjoy it overall. Hope the stars align to give you a nice day!! 🙂

I would suggest not taking the ones on the ends (it's windier and people tend to gather at either end).

Here's a picture of the blocked off end:

image.thumb.png.ff69796b5864a2a047a6bab83aeae97c.png

image.thumb.png.1be87f469db945edad63e1b07b94a678.png

image.thumb.png.0d17426629d7ead00986212911398df9.png

image.thumb.png.4d63d01532c2c512a04ea2d50526940e.png

image.thumb.png.f095db629cb004e9a900b047ed7df01c.png

image.png.1075be4d89abd82e177e479e09c57340.png

image.png.1e45a4575a091f8ade326997f076d072.png

image.thumb.png.d84f3a2dd43bbcaac0950c0568fb25f6.png

image.thumb.png.3c22bbeaead863aa001fee35dabeed44.png

Two Halves:

image.png.f92ad02e96e997bacf520b517aeaaf14.png

Full Cabana

image.thumb.png.3f243a64382a3be939c29e94589bbc2c.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2019 at 11:38 PM, CanadianTourist said:

Thanks VT!   I am very excited about it!  Most of the “problems” with the cabanas are not things that will bother me much!  I am just excited about the Edge in general and specifically for the cabana day now.

It's good that people here who have been onboard have given you some feedback about the pluses and minuses so you will have a good idea of what to expect. You sound like the kind of person who will enjoy it despite the possibility for some issues.

I really miss the ship and can't wait to get back onboard - looking at those pictures of that beautiful sunny day in the cabana again have me dreaming ...

Enjoy your Edge adventure!! Please come back and tell us all about it. 🙂

• 7 months later...

Probably and I was on the Edge again in April.  The cabanas were well used. It was very different weather than our January cruise but still not for us as there is no view and a lot of traffic.  

Edited by Oville

On 2/12/2019 at 6:58 PM, DeBlonde1 said:

Personal opinion - they are crap location.  Hopefully, you have seen the pictures and the reviews and know what you are getting.  If not, do some research in previous reviews, they have no view and have main walkways right in front of them. Can't imagine paying anything for them (on the Edge).    Good luck!

Agree.  On the S class ships a great location and plenty of privacy.  The staff gives you great service.  On the edge- the cabanas aren't private at all and really not worth any additional payment.  The cabanas for two- are really reserved beds for two-  Tiny.  If you want a guaranteed seat near the pool, and willing to pay for it, do it-

Edited by Cruise a holic

We enjoyed the experience on the Edge, but it was on a port day so less people onboard (and we were there on what sounds like the only day they blocked the ends). The full ones are very comfortable and lovely  (1/2 ones are less than half, IMO, because of the way they are divided). I agree that they missed the boat in some ways, but  liked the location with the pool on one side and the MC in front part of the day (not there on a tendering day) - the fail was in the routing of the traffic, IMO.  With some forethought, I think they could have designed them with foot traffic diverted around them (may have needed to cut down on size or made some other design change).   We have been in the Alcoves on the Reflection and find the Edge cabanas more comfortable and with better service - our Alcove service was lacking and we had the foot path next to us with people walking by constantly and stopping to talk to each other or ask us about the Alcoves  - probably more privacy than the Edge, but still a privacy issue (we thought we had a poorly positioned Alcove, but shared a different one with friends another day and had a similar experience).

We have a full cabana booked on the Apex and are looking forward to it. We have changed our expectations. We are hoping for some design changes, but if there aren't any, we are prepared for the foot traffic. If we were in a suite, we would be at the amazing Retreat Sundeck being pampered. Since we won't be in a suite, and we will want to spend some time in loungers near the pool, I think this will be a much better experience for that day. The way I look at it now is that, for one day, we will have extremely comfortable seating with shade and sun without worry of getting and keeping loungers as we come and go, a huge table for our drinks, books, etc. the vibrant pool scene, bathrooms nearby, great people watching and a cabana butler to bring us drinks, nibbles, lunch, iced towels and more. If cruise buddies walk by, we'll invite them for a drink. If we have a lack of privacy and people walking by, it will still be a lot better than being in one of the loungers by the pool, wedged together without a table with no privacy and people walking by as is our usual poolside experience....

A good choice for some to splurge for a day - a nice way for us to use some OBC. I'll let you know how it works out. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

This thread has inspired me to upgrade to a full cabana from the half. While it's only the two of us (DH and I), it sounds like the full cabana will give us much more room to spread out, lounge and really enjoy the space for the day. Worth splurging since who knows when we'll be back on the Edge/Apex after November 2019, due to the significant price premium on the Edge class.

2 hours ago, DebInAntigua said:

This thread has inspired me to upgrade to a full cabana from the half. While it's only the two of us (DH and I), it sounds like the full cabana will give us much more room to spread out, lounge and really enjoy the space for the day. Worth splurging since who knows when we'll be back on the Edge/Apex after November 2019, due to the significant price premium on the Edge class.

We would have booked the half cabana, if we hadn't seen them  - in fact, when they added the half cabana to my Cruise Planner just prior to that first cruise, I tried to change - it didn't go through luckily because after we saw them we wouldn't have been as happy. We actually tried out different ones to see which one to choose (the manager was there and let us choose) and realized that the half cabanas were a bit tight.

The whole cabanas are almost too big for 2, but the halves are almost too small. I decided to go with the whole one for the Apex so that we can spread out - 2 people can lay back in the whole one - difficult for the halves. Also, it is nice privacy-wise not to have someone back-to-back in the same section. The halves are a good deal in that the price is reasonable and you get the same amount of drinks, other benefits. They will work well for many, I'm sure, but we like to spread out.

Deb, just to let you know - they didn't have a place to charge devices (at least in Dec), which I found a deficit. I enjoyed working on my live thread there while my DH napped, but needed a charge later in the day. I gave my feedback - hope they will add that to the Apex.

These pictures show the difference:

Whole Cabana

1404887417_cabanawholemarked.jpg.397e3ca3a2bdc98ba2122550b3b2fc50.jpg

Half Cabana

570137583_cabanahalfmarked.jpg.5a5b8618ff479dcc86dd809252be7d63.jpg

Edited by vtcruising
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Mauidiver said:

My cruise planner has the 1/2 cabana listed for $150 per person and the full for $300 per person.  Is this incorrect?  Is it really $150 for the 1/2 and $300 for the full regardless of the number of people?

The way it is worded is that the half one is for up to two people and the whole one is for up to 4 people. I'm not sure if they say something if there are larger groups using them. I hope that they don't allow a lot of people to be in one all day - it might get pretty loud for the others around them.

image.thumb.png.73a69530facfae0dd83ffc06e630fa83.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mauidiver said:

My cruise planner has the 1/2 cabana listed for $150 per person and the full for $300 per person.  Is this incorrect?  Is it really $150 for the 1/2 and $300 for the full regardless of the number of people?

Sort of... the half is recommended for "up to 2 people" but I supposed you could always invite others to join you (but they wouldn't be entitled to food or free beverages beyond 2 people). The full are up to 4 people.

You book by choosing ONE guest's name on the Cruise Planner and then you can add it to your cart. For the longest time I tried to book and selected both our names, as I did for everything else. Only once someone here on CC tipped me off to try choosing just one name was I able to get it to add to the cart and book it.

58 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

...We actually tried out different ones to see which one to choose (the manager was there and let us choose) and realized that the half cabanas were a bit tight.

... Also, it is nice privacy-wise not to have someone back-to-back in the same section. The halves are a good deal in that the price is reasonable and you get the same amount of drinks, other benefits. They will work well for many, I'm sure, but we like to spread out.

...they didn't have a place to charge devices (at least in Dec), which I found a deficit. I enjoyed working on my live thread there while my DH napped, but needed a charge later in the day. I gave my feedback - hope they will add that to the Apex.

Awesome tips, thank you.

Which cabana section do you most recommend? Middle area? I've heard that's less windy and a little less noisy, but doesn't the MC block your view much of the time then?

I hadn't even thought of the privacy thing, but you are dead on with that being another reason to book the full size. I wouldn't want to be in a half next to a family with young kids or loud teens. Paying for a full cabana means we wouldn't be right up next to anyone noisy.

I also figure the full gives us more flexibility to follow the shade as the ship moves and the day progresses. Neither DH and I are sun worshippers!

We will come prepared with battery packs to recharge our devices. Shame they didn't think to add a tiny safe for your phone when you go into the pool, that would have been smart in addition to outlets. Not sure what to do with our phones when we go for a dip.

Thanks for the pics!

56 minutes ago, DebInAntigua said:

Awesome tips, thank you.

Which cabana section do you most recommend? Middle area? I've heard that's less windy and a little less noisy, but doesn't the MC block your view much of the time then?

I hadn't even thought of the privacy thing, but you are dead on with that being another reason to book the full size. I wouldn't want to be in a half next to a family with young kids or loud teens. Paying for a full cabana means we wouldn't be right up next to anyone noisy.

I also figure the full gives us more flexibility to follow the shade as the ship moves and the day progresses. Neither DH and I are sun worshippers!

We will come prepared with battery packs to recharge our devices. Shame they didn't think to add a tiny safe for your phone when you go into the pool, that would have been smart in addition to outlets. Not sure what to do with our phones when we go for a dip.

Thanks for the pics!

We were in number 2 - second one in from the aft end entrance, close to the bathrooms and aft elevators.  We were glad not to be on either end because of people gathered at the ends at times.  We were in port so it wasn't windy, but I can see that could be an issue. The MC was in front of us part of the day, but could see some port/ocean to the right. 

Someone had 1-2 kids and had a cabana far away from ours and we wondered if they would run up and down the walkway. They actually were lovely kids who stayed with their parents, and though we could hear their chatter at times, some of the adults were probably louder.

Good point about having more choices as position changes - we had both shade and sun (but again, we were in port so didn't move, just the earth moved).

You could give your devices to the cabana butler (he offered to take my phone and charge it), but if you are like me, I don't like to let someone else have my phone. We took turns when leaving our stuff that day. Hope you can find a good solution and let us all know when you return. 🙂

This was our view when MC was not on 14 and later when it was there - we were in port so only saw port/other ships, but would be able to see ocean either way I think, if at sea.

Can see end of roof of MC and port/ocean to right

image.png.c9a5afbe43838a4b2c1d2e6076b163f1.png

This was view without MC

image.thumb.png.5dd27f683fd525a528e018f003ea713f.png

The numbering when we we onboard - as far as I can see, any of the wholes can become two halves - they had some of each set up, but likely can be changed as needed.

image.thumb.png.f4205a430139866a1e1467081d9f12ef.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/12/2019 at 6:58 PM, DeBlonde1 said:

Personal opinion - they are crap location.  Hopefully, you have seen the pictures and the reviews and know what you are getting.  If not, do some research in previous reviews, they have no view and have main walkways right in front of them. Can't imagine paying anything for them (on the Edge).    Good luck!

Totally agree 

We were on the Edge and seen them.  They are between the pool and the aisle that everyone walks along.     I don’t remember if there were chairs or loungers on the other side of the aisle  near the edge of the ship.

Certainly wouldn’t pay for one.  Would rather use the money and  chill out somewhere else

This is my opinion and everyone has theirs

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

In Nov, there were some attempt to make the indiv lounge  seating  a bit more private with installing planters along the walkway.  But this also had tge effect of making the oppisite seats  seem cut off and  more public.  Still a wind tunnel.

We would not book one... wonder if they will be re-designed on APEX

21 hours ago, tucksmom said:

We have some OBC to use and have been thinking about getting a Cabana. We just made the decision to do it. People are going to be walking by us no matter where we sit. We might as well be comfortable 🙂

What about purchasing something in the shops or a shore excursion?  Specialty restaurants are also great!

7 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

What about purchasing something in the shops or a shore excursion?  Specialty restaurants are also great!

We have our shore excursions booked and dining reservations already set

On 2/13/2019 at 8:40 AM, FM said:

Is it not $150 USD per person for an Edge Split Cabana?  The Cabanas are all sold out for our sailing so they seem to be popular.  Like the idea of your own little oasis outside on a sea day …

You may find it is not as much of an Oasis as you think.     On a recent B2B Greek Cruise and TA there were only two rented the complete 2 cruises.     When I first looked they were totally booked so they must have had lots of cancellation.  The ones that were booked were used for a party with about 10-12 guests

Just my observation -   Most of the time The Magic Carpet was parked right in front of them blocking most of the view of the sea.    There is a main walkway inches from your cabana with seats that people use for free staring right into the Cabanas.    As far as I could see they are totally shaded and void of any privacy.     Recently they installed dividers so you have a little privacy from the adjacent cabanas. 

Will be really helpful if you can come back and post your experience.