Just Booked a Cabana on the Edge

CanadianTourist

I asked for simeone now on EDGE to post a photo..

This is posted today,...a before and after the planters were installed.

I am tech challenged so hope this linking works out! It's post #12  on the linked thread....

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2019 at 5:58 AM, DebInAntigua said:

This thread has inspired me to upgrade to a full cabana from the half. While it's only the two of us (DH and I), it sounds like the full cabana will give us much more room to spread out, lounge and really enjoy the space for the day. Worth splurging since who knows when we'll be back on the Edge/Apex after November 2019, due to the significant price premium on the Edge class.

Agree   If you book a half and somebody in the other half is sitting on the same couch, you can bump heads   The only way to book is the whole. Works if you don’t mind people walking by staring at you as if you are a caged animal in a zoo

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Agree   If you book a half and somebody in the other half is sitting on the same couch, you can bump heads   The only way to book is the whole. Works if you don’t mind people walking by staring at you as if you are a caged animal in a zoo

When on Edge recently they had installed  partitions between the smaller cabanas and also to the pool lounge area.    Here's a couple pictures.

21508BD8-B465-4450-AB9D-7CAE310776CC.thumb.jpeg.bf715d167175eac8d92888288b34bc2b.jpeg

No rear partitions installed for the larger Cabanas

A4DDC132-3B6D-430A-BB1A-4351AF7C1C14.thumb.jpeg.570f73c4acafa6025a80716ab79f2bdb.jpeg

The pool deck chairs at rear of cabana

AED9CD9F-1E0D-47E1-84F8-62E77A2FA404.thumb.jpeg.2fb89be29232777ff93e2232450e9543.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2020 at 8:47 PM, Jim_Iain said:

When on Edge recently they had installed  partitions between the smaller cabanas and also to the pool lounge area.    Here's a couple pictures.

21508BD8-B465-4450-AB9D-7CAE310776CC.thumb.jpeg.bf715d167175eac8d92888288b34bc2b.jpeg

No rear partitions installed for the larger Cabanas

A4DDC132-3B6D-430A-BB1A-4351AF7C1C14.thumb.jpeg.570f73c4acafa6025a80716ab79f2bdb.jpeg

The pool deck chairs at rear of cabana

AED9CD9F-1E0D-47E1-84F8-62E77A2FA404.thumb.jpeg.2fb89be29232777ff93e2232450e9543.jpeg

Seems kind of silly to put up partitions to block any view of the pool for a pool cabana, but I guess that’s just me...

The new planters also look ridiculous. Seems like they would obscure the view out to the ocean. So now you don’t have a view to the pool or the ocean (in the split cabanas anyway). 

I found these cabanas to be a really poor design from the start. They should’ve had the openings facing towards the pool. If they had done that then the walkway could’ve existed with no

issues and they could’ve had the comfy chairs there next to the ocean view for anybody to use. Yes, it would’ve meant lounge chairs could not be placed up close to the cabanas but it would’ve created a better experience for those pricey cabanas. I know they were designed to face the ocean as part of Edge’s overall “connection to the sea” or whatever the PR line was, but with the walkway there and now the planters it has kind of defeated the original concept. I wonder if they are able to fix this at all for Apex?

10 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Seems kind of silly to put up partitions to block any view of the pool for a pool cabana, but I guess that’s just me...

The new planters also look ridiculous. Seems like they would obscure the view out to the ocean. So now you don’t have a view to the pool or the ocean (in the split cabanas anyway). 

I found these cabanas to be a really poor design from the start. They should’ve had the openings facing towards the pool. If they had done that then the walkway could’ve existed with no

issues and they could’ve had the comfy chairs there next to the ocean view for anybody to use. Yes, it would’ve meant lounge chairs could not be placed up close to the cabanas but it would’ve created a better experience for those pricey cabanas. I know they were designed to face the ocean as part of Edge’s overall “connection to the sea” or whatever the PR line was, but with the walkway there and now the planters it has kind of defeated the original concept. I wonder if they are able to fix this at all for Apex?

Adam -  I would have to agree with you.   The planters are probably less obtrusive than the Giant Magic Carpet being parked right in front of the Cabana's.  

37 minutes ago, twins_to_alaska said:

Just wanted to say, wow, that Veuve Cliquot is quite a markup from Total Wine price.  $62.03 with tax.

Yes, most alcohol on most ships have quite a markup from 'most' U.S. land based liquor stores and as such the only reason to compare pricing is just for fun. LOL

If one wants to order it, then they will regardless since they are not on land and bringing it home...

Cheers and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

I think there were many complaints about 'privacy' and the cabanas... so they use these 'screens' to mitigate the complaints...

Who knows for sure..

bon voyage

53 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Yes, most alcohol on most ships have quite a markup from 'most' U.S. land based liquor stores and as such the only reason to compare pricing is just for fun. LOL

If one wants to order it, then they will regardless since they are not on land and bringing it home...

Cheers and bon voyage

Bo, that simply is not true.  Edge is selling liquor in the Duty Free shop at retail prices.  I’ve never seen that before.

Aren’t those partitions just movable panels? I have a YouTube video saved from one of the first cruises where the panels are up in a full cabana. You can also see them in the back side of the outer sofa so they can swap that sofa and ottoman to make a full cabana a half. 

19 minutes ago, Oville said:

Bo, that simply is not true.  Edge is selling liquor in the Duty Free shop at retail prices.  I’ve never seen that before.

I've never seen a good "deal" on liquor in any ship's Duty Free shop....and I always check them out, whichever line/ship I'm sailing.  

That said, liquor prices vary widely from state to state, etc...someone else's observations may vary from mine.  

54 minutes ago, Oville said:

Okay, I missed that... sorry!

Maybe I had just left the Martini Bar and got lost ... LOL

I was in the liquor shop, that I now remember and there was a gentleman upset because they only had two (2) bottles of Macallan left, he wanted.

I was looking for Havana Rum and did not see it and did not look at anything else...

Again, my apologies.

Cheers and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

35 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I've never seen a good "deal" on liquor in any ship's Duty Free shop....and I always check them out, whichever line/ship I'm sailing.  

That said, liquor prices vary widely from state to state, etc...someone else's observations may vary from mine.  

On our sailing two (2) years ago to Bermuda, we got great deals on Gosling's Rum.. last sea day.

I purchased four (4) bottles...

Cheers and bon voyage

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Oville said:

Agree...DH  thinks the prices on his fav Scotch are very good.... much better than at home

55 minutes ago, LeAnne_Cruiser said:

I sure wish that there was an option to use these for a cheaper price if I am already paying for the premium drink package!

Just about everyone has some sort of drink package so I'm sure they price them being fully aware of that .......

On 1/27/2020 at 12:43 PM, Oville said:

Unfortunately, wine/champagne is priced entirely different though.  It is generally priced close to (and occasionally more than) double what we might pay in a local wine store.  I wish it were priced like liquor!  My husband can be a bit of a wine snob (when it’s just us) and can spend way too much on wine while on a cruise. 

17 minutes ago, NCHPcruiser said:

Unfortunately, wine/champagne is priced entirely different though.  It is generally priced close to (and occasionally more than) double what we might pay in a local wine store.  I wish it were priced like liquor!  My husband can be a bit of a wine snob (when it’s just us) and can spend way too much on wine while on a cruise. 

But is that in the Duty free shop to pick up on the last day and carry off?  

Edited by Oville