Norwegian Gem Minisuites - yay or nay?

browniegirl

Hi all, just used a couple cruise rewards and booked a minisuite on the Gem quite a ways out, Jan 2021.  The deposits are so big for suites right now, so just used cruise rewards but could only get at best a minisuite.  So, our pcl booked us into 11060 but just read somewhere on here that the 11th deck is terrible for noise....I couldn't handle that.  Anyone have any good info?  I am a cruise snob lol.... haven't been in anything other than a suite or haven for quite some time....this might be a shock to my system hahaha. Are there even coffee pots?  It has been 2 years since I have cruised so things seem to have changed....

Thoughts?  

Thanks!

Crbrowniegirl

Hi thanks.  I checked and it shows the pool bathrooms above us so hopefully not too bad for noise!!!  I have only stayed in mid ship once haha and that was in the haven so that doesn't count lol!!!  Yes a cruise snob and proud of it lol!!! 

Off the Gem a few weeks ago.  Many MS cabins on deck 11 are NOISY and the deck plans are not always as accurate as you might think.  No way would we ever do that again.  Ever!

Between the noise, lack of sleep and the outright lies from guest services, that was our last NCL cruise.  YMMV.

8 minutes ago, Beachin2 said:

Off the Gem a few weeks ago.  Many MS cabins on deck 11 are NOISY and the deck plans are not always as accurate as you might think.  No way would we ever do that again.  Ever!

Between the noise, lack of sleep and the outright lies from guest services, that was our last NCL cruise.  YMMV.

Oh no!  What cabin were you in?  They have put us in 11060....yikes.  Might see if she can move us......

Anyone have any good ms experiences on the Gem that had quiet good location ones?

6 minutes ago, browniegirl said:

Oh no!  What cabin were you in?  They have put us in 11060....yikes.  Might see if she can move us......

Anyone have any good ms experiences on the Gem that had quiet good location ones?

We were in 11614 and were assured several times by NCL that the cabin was under the seating area of La Cuchina after we questioned using the deck plans.  Wrong!  Was directly under the galley wash area which functioned all night, every night. 

No sleep for 3 nights (and GS insisted every night & morning that there was not 1 open berth (class up or way down) anywhere on the ship to move us to.  At our first port (Puerto Vallarta) we said we were packing to leave the ship, and would fly home as no sleep certainly isn't healthy.  Was informed by GS that we couldn't leave as MX Immigration wouldn't allow that since we had no MX visa.  Showed them our permanent MX visa (own property in MX) and that pretty well shut off that argument.

By some divine miracle or engineering marvel MS 11550 opened up (was dusty, nobody had been in there) and we were moved early afternoon.  Slept most of the next 2 days.  That cabin is under the tables on the pool deck, but was quiet enough at night to sleep.  Left the ship once (Mazatlan) for about an hour just to go ashore.  Never left the terminal.  Were too tired to do anything else.  We left the ship exhausted at the end of the trip.

The poor location was one thing - lying to me face to face multiple times for 3 days was something unforgivable.  They basically stole our vacation.  Nobody even bothered to say they were sorry for ruining the trip.

Letter to corporate has not received a reply.  Figure that is pretty typical.

Beware of your cabin choice on this ship.  Do not absolutely trust the published deck plans.  Make sure you are 4 or 5 cabins away from noise sources to eliminate the inaccuracies of the published plans.  Finally, I'd have a hard time at this point believing those folks if they told me the sky was blue, so watch your 6.

As always, YMMV.

11060 is below the pool deck.  If you look at the deck plans for deck 11 the midship stairs and elevators are just aft of the pool deck and the forward stairs and elevators are forward of the pool deck.  It used to be that you only had to deal with chairs being moved in the morning with a cabin below the pool deck but on more recent Gem cruises the pool deck gets used for nighttime entertainment so you may have to deal with that if you retire early.

1 minute ago, highwaynan said:

Had 11568 and 11570 in December. Thought they would be great cabins. Worst noise ever. Banging and draining of water till early morning. Under the kiddy pool and the poolside bar. Do not book these cabins.

Thank you, this is exactly the kind of advice I need!!!

We have stayed in Jewel class mini-suites several times without any issues. We have only booked cabins on the starboard side to avoid any issues with the buffet galley. Since 11060 is on the starboard side you should be fine. If you want to move see if you can get one of the mini-suites forward near the two bedroom suites. We have stayed in 11020, 11028 and 11120 which is under the buffet seating area. All three were quiet and we loved the location.

• Like 1

IMHO, I say NAY to mini-suites on the Jewel Class ships (Jewel, Jade, Pearl & Gem) as they aren't much different to the regular balcony/ocean view cabins except for these three things: slightly bigger, privacy curtain between bed and couch, and a bathtub instead of shower. Also many of these MS cabins are directly below the pool deck and other noisy places.

But we will go for MS on the newer and larger ships, mainly because of the larger bathroom with luxury shower. We prefer shower to bathtub.

FYI, on the EPIC, the MA and MC have bathtub, and the MB and MD have shower.

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:30 AM, browniegirl said:

Thanks everyone!!!  My pcl moved us to 11500 first cabin starboard side forward, that ought to be interesting haha!

It looks under the treatment rooms at the spa.... should be quiet!!!

Leah

Congrats! And it's next to the bridge viewing room! 

ENJOY!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

IMHO, I say NAY to mini-suites on the Jewel Class ships (Jewel, Jade, Pearl & Gem) as they aren't much different to the regular balcony/ocean view cabins except for these three things: slightly bigger, privacy curtain between bed and couch, and a bathtub instead of shower. Also many of these MS cabins are directly below the pool deck and other noisy places.

You missed the best part; the balcony in Jewel class mini-suites are 50% larger than regular balcony cabins. This reason alone makes them a personal favorite.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2019 at 9:10 PM, browniegirl said:

Thank you!! Anyone stayed in 11500?

That is our favorite room on Jewel Class ships. Very quiet and slightly larger bathroom the regular balcony.  Plus you can actually see the bump out for the bridge and can often seen captain & others standing watch.  We have done it on the jewel & gem and now purposely booked it for our upcoming jade cruise.  

Also so highly recommend the spa package. Great quiet relaxing area.

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:25 AM, Cruslvr81 said:

That is our favorite room on Jewel Class ships. Very quiet and slightly larger bathroom the regular balcony.  Plus you can actually see the bump out for the bridge and can often seen captain & others standing watch.  We have done it on the jewel & gem and now purposely booked it for our upcoming jade cruise.  

Also so highly recommend the spa package. Great quiet relaxing area.

Thank you!  Now I am very excited about that mini suite!  I will definitely try and get the spa package.  Not sure how much it is for an 11 day.  Have only ever gotten it for a 7 day before!

12 minutes ago, April42749 said:

If you are short, you won't like the bathtubs.  They are hard and scary (nothing to hang on to) to get in and out.....very high wall.

What do you consider short?   I am 5'3"  Do you think I will have a problem?   I saw on different pictures that there is a grab bar in the shower.  

On 2/15/2019 at 7:30 AM, browniegirl said:

Thanks everyone!!!  My pcl moved us to 11500 first cabin starboard side forward, that ought to be interesting haha!

It looks under the treatment rooms at the spa.... should be quiet!!!

Leah

We had 11002-04 on the Pearl a couple of years ago--quite nice.

Also a good experience in 11126-28, under buffet seating area. Just a little noise from the "bump out" of the jogging track 2 decks up when we were on the balcony during the day.

(Also, wouldn't 11500 be port (left), not starboard?)

Edited by quercus alba
  • Like 1