price drop after final payment. Do I have any options?

TexasCruiser84

Update: my TA spent some time on the phone with NCL today and got us a free upgrade! According to my TA and our new confirmation papers, we were bumped up to a Mini Suite. I’m a little confused by the category class though - it is listed as “OA-MC / GTY”.  I’ve nevrr heard of an ocean view mini suite? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TexasCruiser84 said:

Update: my TA spent some time on the phone with NCL today and got us a free upgrade! According to my TA and our new confirmation papers, we were bumped up to a Mini Suite. I’m a little confused by the category class though - it is listed as “OA-MC / GTY”.  I’ve nevrr heard of an ocean view mini suite? 

I think it just means you were upgraded ocean view to mini suite. Congrats I'm sure you will love it.

Even though it’s a GTY I checked my account and I have a room assigned - mid ship mini suite! Although the responses on these boards are sometimes frustrating and unhelpful, I’m thankful for those who encouraged me to at least ask! No harm in pestering your TA to pester NCL for an upgrade. 

• Like 3

I booked my cruise in a Haven suite through a TA  less than 60 days before sailing so I had to make a full payment. The price of my suite dropped $300 total. I called my TA not expecting anything since I had made the final payment. She was able to getme 25% of the increase $75 as an OBC.

I never hurts to ask.Even if you get nothing you can still enjoy a great vacation.

Edited by kenb
Misspell

1 minute ago, TexasCruiser84 said:

Even though it’s a GTY I checked my account and I have a room assigned - mid ship mini suite! Although the responses on these boards are sometimes frustrating and unhelpful, I’m thankful for those who encouraged me to at least ask! No harm in pestering your TA to pester NCL for an upgrade. 

If you had any perks with your ocean view you should still get those. Ask for a print out of your amenities. 

1 hour ago, Lorey2007 said:

If you had any perks with your ocean view you should still get those. Ask for a print out of your amenities. 

Usually you get the same amenities as they have the same perks available from ocean view up to mini - suite. They most likely moved them up on the category w/out changing any rate codes.

13 hours ago, TexasCruiser84 said:

sounds like you were a winner. I am glad your agent was willing to take the time to get you what you wanted. It sounds like you got a good deal. Enjoy your cruise and keep us posted after you return. 

As I have mentioned before...🤗 discussing your price at a shared lunch or dinner table...make sure you know the people at the table so you don't come across as bragging about the price you spent and as a result making others at the table depressed as to the price they spent.  This is why CC is good for discussions like this. 

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:52 PM, TexasCruiser84 said:

Good for you.  I am now going through the same thing but I booked with my personal cruise consultant with NCL.  I just emailed him and told him that the mini suite is now $300 less than what I payed for a family balcony.  I asked him if I could get OBC or get bumped up into the mini-suite since it is a lower price than what I paid.  He said he has to ask his supervisor and will let me know.  Keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to get the mini-suite. 

On 2/22/2019 at 2:04 PM, TexasCruiser84 said:

Relatively new to NCL (1 cruise under my belt with them and it was a super last minute booking) so I'm not familiar with their policies.  I previously made my final payment on a cruise that is now two months away.  I noticed prices have dropped.  Allegedly, NCL has had trouble filling this sailing (5/4 on the Joy).  I am currently in an oceanview with a large picture window.  The price for a regular balcony is now cheaper than what I paid by about $200 (same perks, triple checked to make sure all fees were included).  I could live with the room I have dropping $200 in price and I'd just suck it up.  But a better room is now cheaper?  Well, that stinks.   

My TA says I don't have any options to get upgraded to the balcony room or some sort of OBC.  Upgrade advantage fairy is nowhere to be seen 71 days out.  Anyone have a similar experience with price drop after final payment? Did NCL do anything for you or am I just going to have to live with my overpriced oceanview?  Thanks!

do what you think is right for you.  I check prices constantly, and if they drop after final payment, i go to my Travel agent ( really good one) and she works wonders, in the rare event that she can't do a thing, i am still happy and will enjoy my cruise no matter what. There are better Travel agents out there, get one that will at least ask and if is a no, then no harm done. In the past NCL used to upgrade you, give you OBC no questions asked but it seems is getting harder and harder to do. Good luck

Edited by spanishguy1970

2 hours ago, robin13 said:

Good for you.  I am now going through the same thing but I booked with my personal cruise consultant with NCL.  I just emailed him and told him that the mini suite is now $300 less than what I payed for a family balcony.  I asked him if I could get OBC or get bumped up into the mini-suite since it is a lower price than what I paid.  He said he has to ask his supervisor and will let me know.  Keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to get the mini-suite. 

Just got word from NCL that they will bump me up to the MD Mini-Suite but it is a guaranty cabin so I won't know what cabin it will be.  However, it is mid ship which is what I wanted and it will be on either decks 8, 9, or 10.  So for all of you out there if you do see that the price has dropped either have your TA or if you booked it yourself call NCL.  All they can do is say no but at least you tried.

12 minutes ago, robin13 said:

Just got word from NCL that they will bump me up to the MD Mini-Suite but it is a guaranty cabin so I won't know what cabin it will be.  However, it is mid ship which is what I wanted and it will be on either decks 8, 9, or 10.  So for all of you out there if you do see that the price has dropped either have your TA or if you booked it yourself call NCL.  All they can do is say no but at least you tried.

Check your account/cruise documents in the next day or so.  My upgrade was also a GTY so I figured I would have to wait to get a room assignment, but my account showed a new cabin assignment less than 24 hours later.  

2 minutes ago, TexasCruiser84 said:

Check your account/cruise documents in the next day or so.  My upgrade was also a GTY so I figured I would have to wait to get a room assignment, but my account showed a new cabin assignment less than 24 hours later.  

I will definitely be checking my documents probably twice a day (lol). 

On 2/23/2019 at 6:15 AM, blcruising said:

Hi. Yes, NCL pricing model is different from competition. They price out real high in advance, and then dump cabins last minute because their ships don't sell out in advance. Your best pricing deals are usually found inside of 30 days, and sometimes 7 days prior.

NCL is way oversupplied up in Alaska this year. There are deep, deep discounts ahead. In your case, it can't hurt to ask for an upgrade. It's a lesson learned. When you sail NCL, be flexible and book last minute. I hope you do have a great cruise.

I'm going to Alaska in July and have been noticing the price dropping for my cabin type.

Thank you for that info.

I'm hoping that increases my chance of an upgrade bid 🙂

I booked the Escape for 3/24 a few weeks ago, so payment had to be in full. Last week I notice the price drop and called NCL. I told the agent I could understand that so close to booking no cash adjustments would be made.  I asked if I could have an upgrade to a mini suite which was now the same price I paid for the balcony. I was upgraded! Dosen't hurt to ask and shame on your travel agent for not trying for you. 

We booked and final payment was due that day (less than 100 days out). I noticed about 3 weeks later the price dropped for our 2 BR family suite by about $450 total. I knew we were past their 10 day requirement but I submitted the request anyways. We ended up getting $150 in OBC (110% of difference of 1st 2 passengers). We were confused on the amount and when we asked about it, they said, "Oh, you weren't actually supposed to get that anyways. Someone made a mistake. You got lucky." So we left it alone. lol

We made our final payment in November for first ever NCL cruise leaving in March.  In January they ran a special, that I was helping friends book to be with us, and the price was $400 less than what we paid for same cabin category.  I called NCL and they said they do not make adjustments after final payment has been made but the will sometimes give an upgrade.  She came back and said no upgrades were available.  I then asked for OBC and she said they do not ever give OBC for price changes.  I spoke to supervisor as well who gave the same story.  I thought they would do something- even $100 OBC- considering I was also bringing them a new customer.  Left a bad taste in my mouth and makes me understand why some people only cruise their fav line and gather status on that line.

I actually just had this happen. I booked through NCL direct. I am 101 days from sailing and my mini-suite price with all perks I received dropped $1000. I called m PCC and was given an OBC for about 1/4 of that. I had to make a choice as it was only offered once and I couldn't ask again. Sure enough, this am my price would have been $2400 cheaper. I need to stop looking as there is nothing I can do now and I don't need to sour my mood on my cruise. I was happy when I booked and need to stay that way. Although....I would love that $2400!

21 minutes ago, Wheeling TravelingMom said:

I actually just had this happen. I booked through NCL direct. I am 101 days from sailing and my mini-suite price with all perks I received dropped $1000. I called m PCC and was given an OBC for about 1/4 of that. I had to make a choice as it was only offered once and I couldn't ask again. Sure enough, this am my price would have been $2400 cheaper. I need to stop looking as there is nothing I can do now and I don't need to sour my mood on my cruise. I was happy when I booked and need to stay that way. Although....I would love that $2400!

Can you cancel, pay the fee, and then rebook at the lower rate?  Would that work out better?  I always watch prices too.  Thankfully I've never had anything go down after final payment.  it would probably drive me crazy to see the lower price :)

37 minutes ago, Wheeling TravelingMom said:

Looking through these comments and reading about other experiences, a price drop after final payment seems to be pretty common for NCL.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jenf22 said:

Can you cancel, pay the fee, and then rebook at the lower rate?  Would that work out better?  I always watch prices too.  Thankfully I've never had anything go down after final payment.  it would probably drive me crazy to see the lower price 🙂

They are pretty smart. I would lose 25% which is just about the price adjustment 🙂 And looking at higher categories to try to upgrade (pay) into are still out of reach of my stomach and budget. Just hoping at this point it somehow helps with the bidding process (if what I want to go to is offered). This is a 14 day Brittish Isles 

Edited by Wheeling TravelingMom
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TexasCruiser84 said:

Looking through these comments and reading about other experiences, a price drop after final payment seems to be pretty common for NCL.  

It depends on how well the cruise is selling. If the ship still has a bunch of unbooked staterooms, NCL will drop the price in hopes of getting people to book. It's easier to sell a less expensive stateroom so NCL will occasionally bump someone up a category then sell the now vacant lower category. Sometimes, prices increase if there is a high demand.

Think of prices like a rollercoaster. You can hop on when prices are high and watch them possibly drop, hop on when prices are low and watch them possibly rise, or you can hop on and the price never changes. Sometimes, all three can happen between the time you book and the time that you sail.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wheeling TravelingMom said:

They are pretty smart. I would lose 25% which is just about the price adjustment 🙂 And looking at higher categories to try to upgrade (pay) into are still out of reach of my stomach and budget. Just hoping at this point it somehow helps with the bidding process (if what I want to go to is offered). This is a 14 day Brittish Isles 

It's funny, I'm actually reading this thread because a coworker is going on a 14-day British Isles and his cruise has gone down.  He's on the Pearl May 11th (I think).  It's his first ever cruise so he's pretty clueless.  He's in a balcony now so I told him to call and ask about a mini-suite since the price has gone down.  I told him 14 days is a long time and he'll be happy to have the extra space.  We'll see if he does it.  I'm glad you got some OBC out of it anyway!

• Like 1